Trusted Contributor

Re: Real life customer models

Shopping channels know how to make money, these "customers" are not being sought after randomly, they have huge FB followings. They're cheerleaders for the shopping channels and have FB pages dedicated to them. The "models" gin up their following for that channel and the various vendors/designers. Their sales are immense because of this. 

Honored Contributor

@MandyG06 wrote:

the Q models aren't real life?

@MandyG06   The word "customer" changed the whole dynamic.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Don’t understand.

Shouldn’t a S/M/XL on a professional model looks the same 

as on a customer?  What would be the difference?

Models have to look good no matter the size.  As in blemish free, good teeth, skin that doesn't sag, thick hair,etc.  There are some basic things that is required.  They migh not have the rectangle body that is required for run way models, but their bodies have to be proportioned, no matter what the size.

The few times I have channel surfed and have actually seen some Q models, they have blemishes, sagging, thin hair and overall seem to have large legs. Only a very few look like actual "models" in the traditional sense of the word. As far as being well proportioned? Most of them aren't. So they represent most of the population....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

HSN is using real life customers as models now.  I've seen it a few times now.  I'm not sure if it adds anything to presentations or not.  I can say that being a 16/18 if I was considering that Giuliana jump suit....seeing that plus size woman in it would have changed my mind in a NY minute.  She was much larger than I still,  not flattering on a fuller body.

I think it is a useless, annoying ,addition. The models aren’t real life people?

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a gimmick to boost sales..

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Shopping channels know how to make money, these "customers" are not being sought after randomly, they have huge FB followings. They're cheerleaders for the shopping channels and have FB pages dedicated to them. The "models" gin up their following for that channel and the various vendors/designers. Their sales are immense because of this. 

@wishmoon   maybe you are referring to "influencers"  .  if you have seen them you can clearly see the customer "models" the HSN shows do not come off as  "cheerleaders" nor "influencers. they just stand there with the pro models and look very uncomfortable.

there are fashion and beauty and handbag "influencers" right here on the Q boards and other social media.

Trusted Contributor

Could be...I've seen postings on FB. I don't get in on that, very clique-y.