Respected Contributor

Re: Real life customer models

HSN is ONLY using a few customers to "model" for CUSTOMER APPRECIATION MONTH....it's not going to be a new thing they will do on the regular.

Respected Contributor

We’re all customer models!!!😉

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

HSN is celebrating Customer Appreciation Month...it ends the last day in April. It's been explained over & over that's why customers are models on the shows & appearing in film clips.

@kitcat51 

I didn't know this and there are probably others who didn't know this as they don't watch much if at all.

But I doubt that HSN (or any on air retailer) would do this if they didn't think it would increase sales.  Whether it does or not I don't know.

I only watch Colleen & that's how I heard about it...lots of ads & talking about it. I don't know if it increases sales either but the customers that make it on air enjoy it & do a decent job...I think it's a better idea than the QVC mug, lol!

Honored Contributor

I don't want to see the disproportionate woman modeling fashion. Most of the Q's models,no matter short or tall look good in the clothes. Models who wear over size 12 or plus size look good too as long as they are wearing the correct size.. I look at it as a fashion show, you know entertainment. I can't imagine the customer model thing would work on a regular basis. I think the Q have the best models on shop TV.

Honored Contributor

Except for the fact that they tend to be a little clunky and stiff I don't see a problem with it. If you're not shaped like the professional model it's absolutely no help to you if it looks good on her?!

Esteemed Contributor

I saw some "customer" models when Jay King was on a week or so ago.   I gather it is as others stated, for customer appreciation month.   While it's fine and most likely exciting for those who were asked to participate, I found them hard to watch as they seemed quite uncomfortable in front of the camera.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Don’t understand.

Shouldn’t a S/M/XL on a professional model looks the same 

as on a customer?  What would be the difference?

Models have to look good no matter the size.  As in blemish free, good teeth, skin that doesn't sag, thick hair,etc.  There are some basic things that is required.  They migh not have the rectangle body that is required for run way models, but their bodies have to be proportioned, no matter what the size.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's just a temporary thing to create some buzz for their channel.

It's in vogue to use more "realistic" models in advertising, so I don't see this as a particularly bad or crazy idea. AERIE and Dove are two of the more well-known brands to feature more diverse shapes and unretouched photos. I think I read their sales have gone up, so it turns out people do want to see more models who reflect the general population.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Don’t understand.

Shouldn’t a S/M/XL on a professional model looks the same 

as on a customer?  What would be the difference?

Proportion and posture are what come to mind.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

I saw that a few days ago. Was wondering why they were using a customer. Thanks @kitcat51 &  @MoonieBaby for the info. 

I don’t really care about the shapes & sizes of the models or whether they are professional or not. I have a good idea of what will work for my shape just looking at the online measurements & general shape & cut of a garment.