Honored Contributor

Re: Real life customer models

@sidsmom wrote:

Don’t understand.

Shouldn’t a S/M/XL on a professional model looks the same 

as on a customer?  What would be the difference?

Yes it does make a difference.  Professional models whether plus or regular sized have certain specifications that have to meet which ensures they look good in the clothes they model.  It's not like every size 4 has a model's body because they don't.  Same goes for missy sizes and plus sizes.  If saw the jumpsuit on a plus size model who was 5'10 with lean legs, that would not have had the same effect as seeing it on a 5-6 wom dimples and rolls who wasn't in 6 inch heels.  That makes a big difference.  I don't know if this is something special, I saw a customer-model yester day too or if it's something new they are just rolling out.  

Honored Contributor

Oh goodie!    I could use a free trip to Florida.   Don't know what kind of clothes they could put on me, tho.    I'm "extra short".    Maybe I could sell pots and pans..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Don’t understand.

Shouldn’t a S/M/XL on a professional model looks the same 

as on a customer?  What would be the difference?

Yes it does make a difference.  Professional models whether plus or regular sized have certain specifications that have to meet which ensures they look good in the clothes they model.  It's not like every size 4 has a model's body because they don't.  Same goes for missy sizes and plus sizes.  If saw the jumpsuit on a plus size model who was 5'10 with lean legs, that would not have had the same effect as seeing it on a 5-6 wom dimples and rolls who wasn't in 6 inch heels.  That makes a big difference.  I don't know if this is something special, I saw a customer-model yester day too or if it's something new they are just rolling out.  

Then you would have a zillion different scenarios for zillion different sizes

Size 4: busty

Size 4: hippy

Size 4: short waisted long legs

Size 4: long waisted short legs

Size 4: cellulite

Size 4: apple shape

Size 4: pear shape

Size 4: athletic shape

...and on & on. And this is only size 4 in petite. 

The set would get really crowded with all those models.🙃

I’ve said this before in other posts...at a certain point in one’s life,

you should know what looks good on you. I would think my 59yrs 

of Life buying clothes which I feel good in or get compliments on

will be something I will purchase again & again.  And for those things

I want to try ‘180’...I really don’t give a rat’s-patooty what someone

else thinks. A professional model is just presenting the item, showing

the colors, showing the ‘hand’ of the garment. No more; no less.

It really doesn’t make a difference if the model is pro or ‘real.’

Most of us have lived a long life buying clothes out of catalogs, 

buying dress patterns & otherwise buying clothes without a model

of any type...and those clothes were still purchased & looked good.

Why has this formula changed in the TV Shopping Era?

Respected Contributor

Colleen had a customer model on for the jewelry show a few nights ago. Sheryl Crow's line had a customer model on a year ago. Fun idea,  not sure if they really help sell. they are usually short ladies, hunched over standing rooted to one spot with the fig leaf pose.

Honored Contributor

That's pretty cool.  I would never be able to be comfortable doing that though.

Christopher and Banks has fashion shows with customer models too.  I have been asked to model several times.  It is not my thing and I declined.  I do like the idea though.

Respected Contributor

HSN is celebrating Customer Appreciation Month...it ends the last day in April. It's been explained over & over that's why customers are models on the shows & appearing in film clips.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

HSN is celebrating Customer Appreciation Month...it ends the last day in April. It's been explained over & over that's why customers are models on the shows & appearing in film clips.

@kitcat51 

I didn't know this and there are probably others who didn't know this as they don't watch much if at all.

But I doubt that HSN (or any on air retailer) would do this if they didn't think it would increase sales.  Whether it does or not I don't know.

Honored Contributor

Seems like a stupid idea to me.  But then a lot of what happens on tv falls into that category as far as I am concerned now.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Seems like a stupid idea to me.  But then a lot of what happens on tv falls into that category as far as I am concerned now.

When I buy a car I want to see it clean, shined up and without junk on the back seat.  Not the way my car might look at times.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Using customers as models isn't a good way to evaluate a design.  Models are super thin so you see the shape of the piece, not the shape of the model.

For example, if a woman modeling has a large waist, of course the item will have to fit her.  How can you compare yourself to her?  Only women with her body shape can identify.