Contributor

Reading threads about capris

leads me to a rather dumb question

What is the difference between crop pants, capris and pedal pushers?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Reading threads about capris

Pedal pushers are the shortest length, then capris, followed by crop pants. (At least that's my interpretation.)

Super Contributor

The difference is the length.

These shorter pants used to be called pedal pushers rather than crop pants and they were also called CLAM DIGGERS IIRC.

Capris were always called capris but now there are ankle length pants which you don't see much.

The shortest of them are the pedal pushers, crop pants or clam diggers and end a couple inches below the knee.

Capris are a few inches longer and are usually tighter around the hem.

Ankle length pants usually end just above the ankle bone.

These pants originally were meant to be worn for bicycle riding, clam digging or wearing to the beach as they are practical in that you can walk along the shore or lake and not get your pants legs wet as you'd most likely do if wearing regular pants. They don't get caught in the bicycle chain and are a little looser at the calf so you have more freedom of movement.

I wore these pants when I was a teenager and in those days, women did not wear pants or pantsuits to school, work, church or most places other than to sporting events, picnics, the beach, amusement parks or around the house. They were also called "play clothes."

Personally, I don't remember them being cooler than regular pants. The difference was they were usually made out of cotton or a breathable fabric such as hopsacking.

In the 1960's, polyester fabrics were introduced along with pantsuits and the rest is history.

If you want to know exactly, Google search as I may be mistaken as to the precise differences but mainly some styles are longer than others and all of them are shorter than regular pants.

Super Contributor

I had to laugh when watching George Simington earlier today. That was one show I managed to watch and not mute after just ten minutes or so.

He had quite a variety of things and one pair of pants he showed reminded me so much of a pair of capris that I made when I was about 15 or 16 years old and actually wore. They were flowered and mostly orange and green and the print in the ones he showed today looked almost exactly as I remembered mine.

They were made of hopsacking and had a zipper on the side. The waistband fastened at the side IIRC and don't know why so many object to elastic waist pants as they are so much more comfortable than the pants with zippers and buttons. I have fond memories and appreciate these pants now much more than I did at the time after listening to Susan Graver talk about the importance of knowing how to fit pants.

Mine fit very well and better than most in the B & M'S that were the main places to shop then. I wish I'd saved them. I never wear that style now as I would not think of wearing them out in public and have more than enough things to wear around the house. If I needed something new, say for gardening, I still don't think I'd wear them as I'd then be bothered with bug bites at the ankles. Long pants give you protection from those.

There is a saying that if you've worn a style once, you should not do it again the next time it cycles around as that is usually at least ten years later when you are older and many of the things you wore then would not look good.

I really think most people don't look good in them as the length hits at an odd spot and unless someone has almost perfect legs, it just emphasizes cankles and any other imperfections. I would never again wear the circle skirts we wore then either as the hem hit at almost the same unflattering spot.

I find for myself at least, the best spot for a hemlength is just below the knee so pedal pushers would be my choice rather than capris.

The capris of yesteryear were mostly made of woven fabrics and had waistlines with darts and side zippers and were pretty uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

My hot pants days are over.

Contributor

Thanks for the explanations. I guess my pants are capris and crops. I've never worn hot pants even when I could!!!
Super Contributor

Capris are worn by every Floridian year round.
Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 imaclotheshog said:

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.laugh} My hot pants days are over.

Yeah, I just got a quick look at my knees in the mirror with my old hot weather nighty on. My hot pants days are really over too. Realllllly over. Yikes.

Honored Contributor

I 'still' call pants a few inches or so above the ankle "capris". You know, MTMoore, Audrey Hepburn, Gidget, etc. etc. And I'm not budging....lol......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).