Respected Contributor

What do you think of the rayon/spandex 95 rayon/5 spandex the vendors seems to be going to?  I like rayon when it is blended with other fabrics such as cotton/modal.

I have never liked 100% rayon and wonder if the 5% spandex makes a difference.  What I have seen during presentations is that the rayon looks flimsy (can see the models knee caps thru fabric.   I see Susan Graver is going to this and Belle has a new item also rayon/span.

I think I am going to save a lot of money not purchasing these items.  Am I missing something?

Honored Contributor

I've been buying garments of the rayon/span combo for at least 10 years...  Has a nice drape, keeps its shape and launders well.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi   Me, too.  I have quite a collection of tops from Chico's from at least 7 years ago --  most rayon+spandex.  All have kept their their colors and their shape--  that's much more than my experience with lots of 100% cotton although it does seem as if my 100%cotton from that same era is doing well.

And just because it's been so many years, I won't name the brands I either wear just around the house or have tossed already.  Hopefully, the brands have improved or disappeared.

Honored Contributor

I love Logo Rayon 230.  It's a silky fabric with a feel similar to SG's Liquid Knit but it's more substantial and non-clingy, more suited for winter wear.  Washes beautifully, never wrinkles.  Takes color beautifully. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Rayond/spandex

[ Edited ]

I will not buy any item that is rayon/span.  IMO, rayon needs something to add body to it otherwise it is too shapeless and limp.  I like rayon/cotton or poly/span.  And I do have summer items that are 100% rayon.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Rayond/spandex

[ Edited ]

Rayon as a textile is cheaper than polyester or cotton. Using rayon fabric to make clothing is one way a manufacturer can sell more garments at lower prices. Rayon is also more sustainable than poly or nylon but making rayon is really bad for the environment. Cotton is expensive to obtain and requires water to grow it.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 @And rayon/span 230 is COOL AND BREATHES, unlike the liquid knit. I like liquid knit for certain things (work, travel) and have some in my closet, but it's not breathable. I don't reach for it the way I do rayon-spandex. Jmo.

Honored Contributor

rayon spandex and other rayon blends are my favorites. i will take it over cotton any day! love how it looks, the feel, the comfort, and how it turns out after washing and hanging to dry. it holds color well and doesnt shrink and it is easy to steam out wrinkles if necessary.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein