Honored Contributor

Random fashion musing

[ Edited ]

Who remembers "middy" tops or the sailor collar look in clothing?

I haven't seen any for a long time but when they were in style, I thought they were very cute.  

I wonder if they will come back.  I don't need them to come back since I doubt I'd wear that style today, but was just wondering.  

So many things come and go, as we all know.

image 0  M 7490 sewing pattern 60's Sailor DRESS Middy TOP slim & pleated SKIRT sew UNCUT

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach I'm 71 and have always liked that look.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  I like the sailor collar.....remember when patterns were inexpensive?  I remember 99¢ or $1.99....I sewed a lot back in the day.  I do not think I could do it today!

Respected Contributor

I'm 73 and wore and loved this look....and sewed them too.

The middly/sailor look is always in at Chanel!

Honored Contributor

My Mom would talk about having to wear Middy blouses for school

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Loved them.  Not sure I would wear it now, but they still look stylish.

Seeing those patterns brought back so many fond memories of my mother teaching me to sew.  She was a seamstress in a factory and did piece work (miserable conditions).  But, she loved to sew and passed that love on to me.

Makes me teary thinking of it.  Thanks for the memories!

Respected Contributor

I don't remember "middy" tops but do remember sailor style collars.  I can remember being in Home Ec class at school and having to buy a pattern to make an outfit.  I remember I made "hot pants" that had an attached bib in a navy blue velvet.  Not realizing velvet had a "nap"(sp?) all the pieces I had cut for the outfit were all going in different directions.  My teacher undid the whole thing and put it all back together somehow so the fabric was all going in the same direction.

Needless to say I think that was my first and last attempt at a homemade outfit!

I guess she gave me an A for effort as I did pass the class, as I recall.  Woman Wink

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Almost all designers get their inspiration from old fashions and they end up bringing it back with an up to date piece of clothing with an edge.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I would wear either of the outfits on the first pattern. And to beat a dead horse, check out the bust measurements on the size 12-14. Lol.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Random fashion musing

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN -

Haha! Well you did better than me!

I got a C (and the home-ec teacher was being extremely generous!) on my first and thankfully last "dress" which was an awful navy blue denim potato sack looking thing that was supposed to be a dress lol!

Strangely, much later I did costuming for our college theater and we all had to spend several hours a week sewing stuff! I hated it all over again.

My step mother was wonderful with a sewing machine. It takes so much patience. I totally admire anyone who sews or crochets or does quilting or cooking for that matter!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"