Honored Contributor

Re: REMOVING LIPSTICK FROM WOOL COAT?

I can recommend the perfect product.  It will work and will not ruin the fabric.

Carbona products are excellent.  They make removers for all different types of stains.  I  used it to remove spilled liquid make-up that had dried on an heirloom wool baby blanket that I thought was ruined.

I buy mine at the grocery store in the laundry section.

959E88E4-2F9F-44AC-B8F7-AEAF836A6E6C.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I've ruined too many nice clothes attempting to clean the stain quickly myself with at home products.  It didn't work and then I took the item to the drycleaner as a last ditch effort.

They could never clear the stain entirely after I attempted it with my methods.

I have heard this saying from drycleaner's time and time again and finally learned my lesson.  "do not touch the stain and just bring it to us."  It works

99% of the time.

Please don't touch it but bring your nice coat to the drycleaner.  It's well worth the $20.00.  Lesson learned on my part.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'I just thought of something' (again, lol)

Anyone here remember some sort of white stain remover?  It had an odor, it would dry into a powder, and after waiting an hour and brushing it off of the stain, the stain was gone.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

Ive worn wool coats,skirts etc and always managed to get grease  from car doors  food we always used Energine cleaning fluid but no longer can buy so instead used a small amount of lighter fluid on cloth and gently rubbed my skirt or coat and the stain came right out including lipstick.This is a home remedy that my mom used for years and I have had more cleaners ruin more clothes than I ever did.  ..

Honored Contributor

Just giving an update here ........   

my sister's drycleaner got the lipstick out.  Before she took it to them, she found a coupon, so the cost was only $13, which thrilled her immensely.   (She's a Capricorn)   

Now, all is well in her world.  lol  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  Thank you for circling back to let us know the outcome.  I always like to know the rest of the story.  

P.S.  Your reference to your sister being a Capricorn tickled me.  

They generally do love quality but they take a while to part with cash, in my experience.  My Significant Other is a Capricorn and when I buy him something nice he sincerely appreciates it but protests that it is too expensive . . .

Then he uses it and eventually admits I was correct--that it was worth it.

With grocery shopping I have to remind him that spending a couple of dollars more leads to much better results, especially when it comes to steak, forr example.  The supermarkets have the tradition of labeling certain beef cuts as "steak" that really can't be prepared with the normal method of cooking one.

These days, he's almost always the one that goes into the supermarket so I check the flyer and write out the name of the steak, thickness of cut, etc., and circle it in the flyer to take with

him.

He's a gem, though, so I try to overlook his quirks, as he overlooks mine!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Thank you for circling back to let us know the outcome.  I always like to know the rest of the story.  

P.S.  Your reference to your sister being a Capricorn tickled me.  

They generally do love quality but they take a while to part with cash, in my experience.  My Significant Other is a Capricorn and when I buy him something nice he sincerely appreciates it but protests that it is too expensive . . .

Then he uses it and eventually admits I was correct--that it was worth it.

With grocery shopping I have to remind him that spending a couple of dollars more leads to much better results, especially when it comes to steak, forr example.  The supermarkets have the tradition of labeling certain beef cuts as "steak" that really can't be prepared with the normal method of cooking one.

These days, he's almost always the one that goes into the supermarket so I check the flyer and write out the name of the steak, thickness of cut, etc., and circle it in the flyer to take with

him.

He's a gem, though, so I try to overlook his quirks, as he overlooks mine!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 

I do, too.   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Spray the lipstick stain with hairspray and immediately wipe with a clean white cloth.  Repeat if necessary.  Always works for me.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to keep the coat and wear it and keep it looking nice, I would spend the $20.  

Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Stick with the dry cleaner.

Yes,  I would let the pros do it.  I would be scared to ruin it.