Respected Contributor

Re: REFOrMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 2

I had my port flushed and got a pedicure this morning. So my toes look pretty...even if they are covered up. Lol. I need to do a couple of errands but my energy is pretty low this morning...maybe after lunch, I will rev up.

sydnie got her English grade changed..the teacher misplaced her homework.  So she is a happy kid.

V had a good report from his dr this morning...no cancer recurrence.. Yay😍😍

Linda..I am so impressed with your baking.  Pumpkin bread sounds interesting....I have a good recipe for pumpkin bars that I have not made in a long time.  Your lunch sounded a little chaoti but you did well. When our choir at church does potluck so...there are a few women who run the kitchen...I stay out of their way. Glad things are grunge well for dd.

Claudia..hope the new med hellos Adam...it can take a of attempts to find right one. Pepper is not too yippy...she rarely barks unless there is something in the yard. I could just imagine all 3 big dogs wanting to go. 

I get get my crown tomorrow..my dentist does it all in one visit...pretty neat.

it is cool here..I just put a logo jacket on. Winter is coming.

Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

Yay for both V and Sydnie. How nice your dentist does it all in one visit, Barbara.

R heads back to camp tomorrow but not until he accompanies me to an estate sale. There's a couple dressers I am interested in. It is wonderful to be able to check out pictures online. That way I can decide if it's worth my time. Tomorrow there are two sales and I was able to decide which to focus on.

I hope the new med works better for Adam. I know it takes a while to find what works. At one point R didn't think his was working and was taken off it to try another. That didn't work at all/ and it took time to find a combination that worked. A dear friend has had a long search with little success the past couple years but finally is on a med that really works for her. Fingers crossed it continues.

Linda, your baking is impressive. I don't really like to bake but I certainly like to eat the results.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad Syd got that English grade changed, and you had your port flushed and pedicure, Barbara.  Hope your pain goes away, and your energy returns.   That is neat about the crown.  Tomorrow is the day my SIL is finally supposed to have his crown put on.  Fingers crossed that happens with no problems.

I hope Adam's medicine helps, Claudia.  Also hope you find what you like at the estate sale.  It is pretty nice that they post things on-line so you can avoid going when things are not of interest. Did you enjoy Sully?  I thought it was quite good.

I've had a couple of difficult days with DH.  Yesterday, he was talking a lot -- this after more than a year of talking very little.  But, he didn't make much sense.  Also, he was pretty anxious.  I was a bit concerned about the caregiver -- she seemed to be trying new things on DH which made him anxious.  Anyway, I called the hospice nurse today since the caregiver wanted him to have a different gait belt, and the nurse told me that he didn't want to get up for the facility caregiver this morning, but the hospice caregiver was able to get him up.  However, he was very anxious and not happy.  I told her I was about to go to visit him, and she said that she could visit him today if I thought he needed help.  Long story short, I called her and asked her to come and visit him.  A different caregiver told me that he was having lots of trouble walking, and they had used a wheelchair and given him an anti-anxiety medicine.  

He was pretty agitated/anxious, and he was talking much more than normal.  I think before he was in sort of a haze, and he didn't worry about things.  But, now he is starting to think/worry about things (like going to the bathroom), but he doesn't know how to express himself.  

After I fed him lunch, I went to COSTCO.  I wasn't planning to go back, but I decided to go to see if the nurse was there, which she was.  She said his "vitals" are fine, but he does seem anxious.  Her theory is having new caregivers and them trying new things like using the gait belt, etc. were causing the anxiety.  She will return tomorrow afternoon.  I fed him dinner, and he seemed a bit better when I left.  I'm hoping this is just a passing thing, because it is difficult seeing him so anxious.  

I have only read half of the book we are discussing in class tomorrow, so I plan to do a bunch of reading this evening. Hope I can stay awake.

Sleep well!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..I am so sorry that dh is having difficulty. I know there is an ebb and flow to Alzheimer's . My sil had great difficulty with any change  in routine...maybe that affected him.i always worked with my mom whevever she was in her mind. I can only imagine how unsettling this is.  Hope today is better for both of you.

it is chilly here..I turned the heat on because Sydnie was cold this morning.,I have soup in the crockpot...that is something I know that can eat after my crown.

i am feeling better today...took a couple of big pain pills per mr Drs suggestion to break the pain cycle and it helped. 

I have already done laundry...

hope we you both have a good day...I am going to knitting shortly.

Respected Contributor

I got interrupted by v and hit post before I was done.

Claudia..hope you find something at the estate sale that you like. I did not realize one could view things on line. 

Psch meds take take a while to kick in. M has had hers tweaked multiple times. I really hope these work.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are feeling better today, Barbara, and I hope the crown procedure goes well.  Must be very chilly there -- not so here, but it is still pretty cool in the mornings when I take my walk (in the 50's)  I think they are predicting warmer weather for tomorrow.  

Thanks for your good wishes about DH.  Part of me wants to run over there this morning, but I think I will wait until this afternoon.  They will call if there are major issues, like a fall or something.  

The good news is that I finished the book -- this morning, but..... And, I took my walk first thing.  I plan to go to the gym in a little while, and then see if I can go to the caregivers meeting for a few minutes before I need to go to class.

Good luck at the estate sale, Claudia.  And, I hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad you're feeling better today. It does help to break the pain cycle. Knock on wood we haven't needed to turn on the heat yet.

Teachers are on strike starting today got to the estate sector about 7:30 only to find numbers would be given out at 9. However we were the first in at 10 when the sale started. We got large solid oak dresser. R had call a friend to get it down the stairs there and loaded up. He's too tired to go to camp today. Tomorrow I need to move things around and fill it from the small dresser Griff chewed on when teething.

Linda, I hope this is a temporary thing with DH. It's very hard to see happen to a loved one.

I heard from Fran. They will evacuate tomorrow to their son's if the forecast is still the same.

My aunt and uncle live near Cape Canaveral. He is refusing g to evacuate. My cousins have tried to persuade him but no luck. He refuses to have friends of my cousins put the storm shutters up. My cousin thinks it's because he won't admit he can't do it. Very frustrating to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you found a nice piece at the sale, Claudia.  I bet that dresser was heavy.  It is a shame about your relative who refuses to evacuate, etc.  Good that Fran has a way out.  My ex's nephew evacuated from Myrtle Beach a couple of days ago.  They just moved there a month or two ago.  Hope that there is no loss of life, and that the storm damage is less than expected.

Good news on DH -- much better today.  He slumped down to the floor yesterday evening, and it took three people to get him up.  The nurse and I were surprised that they did not call to let us know.  Anyway, today was so much better.  The caregiver said that they followed the nurse's advice (one-on-one, calm and quiet), and DH responded very well.  He was so much better when I visited him this afternoon, and the nurse talked to the caregivers again.  There is a newish caregiver who is very loud, etc., and I think she must have triggered something with DH.  He talked a little more than normal, but much less than the past couple of days, and his comments made sense.  Whew, what a relief.

I did spend a little while with my caregivers group before class, and several ladies came back after their husband's had passed, etc.  Two more ladies had placed their husbands in facilities this week.  I knew one was planning to do so, but not the other.  It is great to share our experiences/concerns -- very supportive group.

Sleep well.

Respected Contributor

It is cold here..only 50 with a pretty good breeze...I had me hair cut this morning , then did some grocery shopping for the weekend. The bed in the guest room is all cleared off. Now I need to get the stuff out here...but need to sit for a bit.

My crown went fine yesterday...my dentist makes it pain free. My insurance covered half of it.

Claudia..that must be a gorgeous dresser. My grandparents had beautiful oak pieces...wish I could have gotten something but I was in college when they gave up their home. I forgot that you had a teacher strike going on. 

Linda..so glad dh is doing better...I know with many dementia patients change to the routine can be upsetting. Do you think he was trying to tell you how upset he was??? I hope you enjoyed your class. I am surprised that they did not.notify you when he slumped down. Your caregivers group is so good for you.

Pepper is trying to help me so I think I will post.

have a good day

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad your DH is doing better, Linda. As Barbara said, I'm surprised you weren't notified when he slumped down. That was standard procedure for mother.

Mark messaged last night that he talked with his mom while his dad was in the shower. The contractor that built the homes was putting storm shutters on a relative's house and asked my very stubborn uncle if he was preparing for the hurricane. My uncle admitted he couldn't put the shutters up and the contractor put them up. Whew! Latest word is they still have power. Trees are down but not on their property.

That is chilly, Barbara. Glad the crown was pain free.

The dresser is not an antique but is a very nice solid piece with 5 large drawers. Once R goes to camp I can move things around. I just finished mowing. R has been trying to fix the upstairs toilet again.

The teachers decided to strike a month after the start of school. First strike in 20 some years.