Respected Contributor

Re: REFOrMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 2

My  grandmother had some beautiful oak antiques but I had just graduated college and was job hunting. My aunt wasn't "into" antiques and called in antique dealer while mother and I were out of town. Arghhh.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about the teacher's strike, Claudia.  That must be pretty difficult for everyone -- particularly the parents.  Glad your Uncle accepted help, and that they were not affected too badly so far.  I know how it is when you move or get new furniture.  I think that is part of the reason I have not done anything about getting a sofa bed or futon for the office.  Seems like I have been doing so much moving/changing things around lately that I just want to take it easy.

Sounds very cold to me, Babara.  One of the ladies in my "decisions" class was talking about a bad decision she made when she retired and moved from southern California to northeastern Oregon  For one thing, she hated the winter weather and snow.  Also, she had radically different opinions from her neighbors, and they ended up ostracizing her.  She lost money in the house sale, but she is much happier here despite the lack of four seasons, etc.  

Glad your crown went well -- so did my SIL's.  Apparently, he may need another, but they will wait until January when the dental insurance starts over.  I am still debating about dropping or keeping my dental insurance.  I know for sure that I lost money this year.  The premiums have been higher than the money saved.  But, I have not needed any dental work,just cleaning and x-rays.  There are a couple of options -- one to get a less expensive plan from the dentist like I did last year.  And, the other is to go back to my Mexican dentist or another dentist there.  That will be the decision I will work on for class this week (our assignment).

It could be that DH was trying to tell me he was upset, I'm just not sure.  He started talking much more -- like he was suddenly realizing what was going on, but just could not figure out how to express himself.  Thank goodness, he was much better again today.  The facility caregiver said that the hospice caregiver said he was so much better than Wednesday, and he was good with me.  We walked around quite a bit, and I fed him lunch.  He is back to sleeping more and talking a lot less.  But, I think it is probably better that way.  The "problem" caregiver came in to say that she realized that he did not do well with several people around and too much "assistance".   I said something like he doesn't like too much noise, etc., and she said she could tell.  Still don't know why they didn't call either hospice or me about the "slumping down".  I may bring it up with the director either later today or next week.

DD and DGD had their hair cut this morning as well.  It was quite a bit more expensive this time, so she said she may look for a less expensive salon.  My SIL is picking up DGS for his Fall break from college.  I forgot that Monday was a holiday.  I know they will be happy to have him home for a while.  

Need to pick up a few groceries now.  Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Fran and her husband opted to go to their son's after hearing the forecast this morning. She texted they arrived safely this afternoon. Now it's wait and see. 

Respected Contributor

It was 35 when I got up this morning..I have done some cleaning, v helped change all of the beds and I have laundry going. Syd is at dance for the morning and I expect amie and crew any time.  It should be a fun weekend. 

Claudia, my dads mother had some treasures in her attic, but my aunts were never willing to give up anything. I do have my parents dining room set, mahogany from the early 50s. 

Linda...hope things continue to go better with dh. Bet dgs will have a good visit at home. Are you planning to go out there for the holidays???

i hope you both enjoy your day.

Respected Contributor

A very Happy Birthday, Barbara. That is rather chilly. I think our morning temperature was around 50. V is a big help.

The upstairs toilet is still a work in progress.

The young woman across the street moved today so there was a U-Haul van loading up for an hour or so. Griff was complaining loudly and 4 cats were peering out the bedroom window.

My parents had a beautiful solid cherry dining room set but sold it when they inherited my grandfather and aunt's house which was one story. I do wish I'd been able to have my mother's parents oak furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy Birthday, Barbara!

That is way cold for me.  It was not bad this morning -- in the 60's when I took my walk.  They are predicting temperatures in the high 80's low 90's for a while.  That is fine with me.

Time for DH's lunch.  I'll try to get back later.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, I hope you have a good visit with your DH. Also hope your DGS enjoys his weekend home.

R is still home and hasn't decided when to hunt. I really prefer to move things when he's not home. I can decide what and how to do it without being rushed.

Esteemed Contributor

I did have a nice visit with DH, and he ate very well at lunch.  He had some trouble getting up from the chair, but not too bad.  One time, Larry tried to help, which was not good.  Larry ended up spilling his juice for one thing.  For another, I think it upsets DH to have multiple people helping him up.

The only furniture piece that my parents had, and I wanted was a music box that they left to my brother.  I'm sure he sold it as soon as he got it.  They left me a desk made out of a piano-like instrument, but it was very heavy and it turned out to be rotten wood.  So, my brother disposed of it instead.  I did inherit several pieces of china -- some hand painted by my Mom's mother. 

After talking to DD and thinking about it long and hard, I have decided no visit East until next spring -- May probably.  I hate to wait that long, but winter visits are always dicey due to the weather, etc.  

Hope you are having fun with Amie and family, Barbara.  Also hope you are able to get some things moved now, Claudia.  

Sleep well!