Respected Contributor

REFORMEd SHOPAHOLICs week of April 14

Good afternoon..it is a gorgeous ay here again.i sang at church this morning, have a load of towels going and dinner is in the crockpot. I think I have use up all my energy for the day..lol.

Linda..that was a nice pic you posted..the jacket was pretty . I have been pretty ruthless in tossing things. Glad dd finished the race..I used to run a bit but much preferred speed walking...those days are long over.  Too bad about you having to resume your sims car payments...I could not be that generous.

i have a Canadian friend here who “found “ a man and decided to combine households. She is having many regrets. 

I had hoped sydnie and I could clear out her old toys, but she may be gone for the summer. 

Claudia, hope your day is going well 

enjoy. 🎈🎈🌸

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMEd SHOPAHOLICs week of April 14

Good Afternoon!  It is lovely here as well, Barbara.  Most of our Palm Sunday service was a presentation by the choir.  They had some musicians (violin, etc.) as well.  I thought of you -- it was lovely.  Glad you were able to sing this morning.

Thanks for your comment about the jacket.  It was a Linea one that I got many years ago.  I used to have three "spring" jackets -- two of his and one Susan Graver that I usually wore around Easter time and over the summer.  Now I'm down to that one.  I don't wear it more than two or three times per year since it is usually too hot here in the Spring and Summer (even with the AC on at church).  Sort of feel foolish to keep it, but I like it a lot.  

I was never athletic at all, so the short time of "jogging" was more than enough for me.  On the other hand, I have always enjoyed walking.  Not "speed  walking either.  LOL   I was wondering how long you have had RA.  The leader of my widows grief group has found out that she has it -- she is in her sixties.  I know she is struggling.

It is a bummer for me having to go back to paying for my SIL's car.  Hoping this won't last much longer, but..... Interesting about your Canadian friend.  I imagine it is very difficult to start over when you are a "senior" unless you are both pretty flexible.  I was very fortunate with DH, but I don't think I'd dare to try again.  My SIL said she is embarrassed.  I think it was an "easy out" for her since she needed to move and wasn't crazy about some aspects of her job.  But, I always questioned the idea based on what she told me about the guy.

Fingers crossed you and Syd can clear out her old toys, but I know she would want to take advantage of opportunities over the summer.

You asked If I liked/enjoyed the hospice volunteering.  Must say it is not easy for me, but it is fulfilling.  The patient is more verbal than DH, and unfortunately is pretty scared about what is happening.  If I can give her some comfort, I feel good about it.  Also, her caregiver (husband) enjoys having someone to be with her.

Like Barbara, I hope your day is going well, Claudia.  

Have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..I was diagnosed with ra in my early 20s but it did not bother me too much. I had 7 pregnancies and 2 preemies who survived. My docs at the university thought the ra was a factor. It really flared in my late 30s and has been my dragon companion ever since.

Fortunately I have had excellent, doctors who have treated it very aggressively. And I decided that it was not going to stop me from living my life. I do find it is getting worse with age. 

🌹🌹

Respected Contributor

Today has been overcast with rain. Temperatures did reach 70° though. Now it is windy. I'm very glad I did the outside work yesterday. To day I just had yard cleanup and taking the garbage out front.

Even though your hospice work is not easy it seems fulfilling. You are making a difference.

I know I likely would not remarry. I prefer to do things my way when I can. Besides who would want to take on my menagerie? Lol.

Sometimes these relationships work out nicely. You and your DH were fortunate, Linda. A former coworker remarried recently. Her first husband died and she was devastated. There was another couple they did things with. His wife died from cancer. They started doing things together and the relationship progressed from there. She is about 12 years older than i.

Linda, I thought that was a Linea jacket. Since you wear it a couple times a year I suggest keeping it. If you weren't wearing it at all it would be a different story. It's a beautiful color for you.

I'm glad your DD and DGD got to run their 5 k. I was never athletically inclined - a bit of a klutz actually.

Tip got hold of one of R's cleaning patches for his muzzleloader and took off with it chewing as she ran (just like TH would do). I took off after her and managed to get the sacred up both square before she swallowed it. Smh.

Tornado warning just came over my Kindle. That is a first. R said he'd been hearing sirens.

We have been paying Adam's truck payment. I think it will soon be paid off. Unfortunately it's an older truck. At least our former sil  helps him work on the truck. He's very knowledgeable.

If Syd won't be there this summer maybe she can tell you and V which toys she's willing to part with, Barbara. Your RA as a dragon is an apt description. Good for you not letting it rule your life.

Respected Contributor

The storm seems over for the most part. It's just thunder and lightning off and on now. While the storm passed through Tip was my little shadow. Griff was sleeping.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is about 87..I am toying with turning on the ac. But may not. Today is not a good day...I hurt and cannot find a comfortable spot. This too shall pass.

i am very sad about Notre Dame burning. I have visited it several times..attended mass and heard concerts on their magnificent organ. But all of that is gone. 

I ordered a logo logo dress on sale..I have a couple and enjoy them when it is hot.  They are below the knee so not as much fabric as a maxi.  Love them with sandals.  

Linda..read about your shoes falling apart I do not own any pantyhose and am not able to wear any pump type shoes. I do have a cute pair f Skechers ballet type flats that are very comfy. You are such a kind person to do the hospice visits. 

Claudia..I am with you on not remarrying. Linda, you were very blessed to fins your Dh. My mom never wanted to remarry.  I chuckled about Tip snatching the cleaning we...Pepper still does things like that. Glad you escaped the wild weather.

enjoy your day.🌼🌸🌼🌸

Respected Contributor

We found out it was an EF2 tornado last night. A lumber company just west of town was pretty much destroyed. The roof was in the 4 lane. A mile north of us trees and electric poles are down and lots of property damage. Roads are still closed off. People will probably be without power several days.  Fortunately no one was injured or killed.

I discovered the cats sheltered on the enclosed stairs during the storm.

Terrible news of Notre Dame burning. We saw it on our day trip to Paris several years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry you are hurting today, Barbara.   You have certainly had RA for a long time.  Glad you are carrying on the best you can -- you do a great deal for someone with your health issues -- good for you!

Like you and Claudia, I'm very sad about Notre Dame.  Just doesn't seem possible, but......  Hopefully, some parts can be salvaged.  I can't imagine Paris without it.  I heard a report on the radio about the importance of the cathedral, and the commentator said that Notre Dame is square one in Paris.  When ever you see a sign like 8 kilometers to Paris, it is 8 kilometers to Notre Dame.

Interestingly enough, DD wears pantyhose and pumps a lot.  She also wears shapers.  I pretty much gave all of them up when I retired.  To wit, the pumps have been sitting in the closet most of the 12 years since I retired.  Comfort is the key with me for sure.

Wow about the tornado, Claudia.  Glad you, R, and your furbabies are okay.  

I think the stars were aligned just right when DH and I met.  I guess I wasn't quite a senior back then (58), but he was for sure.  An unusual and very nice man.  Not only did my Mom never think about re-marrying after Dad died, my mother-in-law did not do so either -- she was only 41 or so when her husband died.  But, I know from experience of others in addition to my own, second marriages can work and even be great.  Glad I had that variety.

Very surprised to receive a thank you card and gift card from Sprouts from hospice in the mail.  The senior lunch program had a thank you brunch for volunteers last Sunday, but I did not attend since it was way too crowded and not that much fun when I went a couple of years ago.  (April is volunteer appreciation month.)

It's pretty hot here, but not in the house.  

I think I forgot to mention that DGD seems to like her job now.  Changeable girl.  She was having problems with her vision, and found the contacts she got last time were too strong.So, she had an eye exam and has a new prescription.  I think that really helped since she spends a lot of time on the computer.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.  Feel better, Barbara.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

The area a mile from us is residential and where we lived when I was in junior and senior hs. What a mess..

Tip is limping again so I will be calling the vet tomorrow. R has pt and lab work in the morning and early afternoon a weight management meeting so it will be a busy day.

My niece in Colorado posted her dad (my ex-bil) was running the Boston marathon today.

How nice you got the thank you and gift cards, Linda. I'm glad your DGD likes the job now. Once when I got glasses I had terrible headaches and found the lenses had been switched. The prescription for the left eye was in the right lens and the right one in the left lens.

Sorry you hurt today, Barbara. Heading about Notre Dame too just makes the day worse. Hopefully they can save parts.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  It is very cloudy out, and they are predicting rain tonight.  I'm sure we could use the rain.  I think it will be cooler tomorrow (highs in the 70's)

That is something about the tornado so close to you, Claudia.  Thank goodness you are okay.  Hope things went well with R's appointments and Tip isn't limping today.

Hi, Barbara.  Hope you are feeling better today.  

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but my SIL found out that she can only stay in her old basement apartment for 30 days.  She is scrambling to find a place to live after that, and I'm sure she won't have an easy time finding something she can afford.  I'm concerned that she will turn to me for a deposit and first month rent for the apartment.  DD and others have told me it really isn't a good idea, and I'm thinking that way as well.  But, I am concerned about her finding a decent place.  I did suggest she look into help for seniors -- low cost housing, etc.  We'll see.

The senior lunch program turned out to be chaotic today.  My buddy and I were supposed to have the day off and just do a little cleaning.  We ended up serving everything but the hot dogs, and the hot dog part was a problem due to people not following directions.  The director said she will do things differently next time, and I hope that is true.

The gym went fine as did my walk this morning.  Nothing new or exciting with DD.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda