Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED. sHOPAHOLICS. Week of June 5

Linda, I think there are guard rail type things that can be placed on one side of the bed. Maybe hospice knows about them.

I'm glad the driveway issue was resolved, Barbara. With that kind of drop off it would be dangerous. No falls allowed.

I woke up to barking between 4 and 5. I went downstairs without my glasses. TT was lying in front of the tv armoire and Griff was standing in the dining room . He had knocked the empty water dish out of its stand. I didn't know if he wanted more water, wanted out, or wanted TT to move. I let him out along with Bo, refilled the water, then brought the boys in. Griff went to his crate and I headed back to bed.

R has been doing some picking up and laundry. Today I'm just out of energy.

Respected Contributor

We will be leaving for v3s in a bit...it is about a 5 hour drive. Vanessa wants me to go in her wading pool...lol. I told her that I would stick one of my feet in. 

It it is very warm and humid...could be 93 today. I turned the ac on because humidity is not my friend, 

linda.. I forgot about bed rails...that might work for dh. In many nursing homes, they cannot use rails unless it is a hospital bed. We had that for my mom at the end. My sil is in hospice but I think the family requested that she be fed. It may vary from state to state. Hope your day went well yesterday.

Claudia...those doggies of yours...good you were able to go back to bed. Moving is a big effort for me now...lol.

have a great day...I will check later.

Respected Contributor

Enjoy the time at V3's, Barbara. I sure hope moving is easier for you during the weekend. Too bad the infusion's effects don't last longer.

I received the yellow Linea crepe tunic and like it.

Oh my, the toilet handle is fixed, the water barrel is now on a stand and the gap under the back door is no more. Oh and the vintage chair  that the dogs knocked over has had the two broken off pieces of wood repaired

It's back up to the 70's today with thunderstorms expected tomorrow. We may go out to dinner tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you have a nice time at V3's, Barbara.  Like Claudia, I hope you are feeling okay this weekend.  That is pretty hot for your area.  It is cloudy here today, and there is a prediction of rain.  That would be good, but right now it is hot and humid, which I do not like.

Sounds like things are really looking up at your house, Claudia.  Hope you have a nice dinner out.  

Thanks for the suggestion about the handle/rail for the bed.  I talked to the nurse about the idea, and the handle/rail sort of thing should be delivered today.  She explained that bed rails, including ones on a hospital bed, are allowed in the home.  But, not in any facilities.  The facility manager confirmed that in our meeting this morning.  He wants me to bring the wheelchair and walker, so I will need to let the nurse know not to take the wheelchair back as I had asked.

She did not know about DH's fall, so she had to do a bunch of record-keeping (they use tablets).  And, she didn't know about the visit from the nurse practitioner who evaluated DH nor about the need for the "thickener" for his beverages.  However, she had the thickener in her car as well as a pill crusher.  I used both last night, and I was pretty happy -- DH drank a bunch more water and did not choke.  

This morning, he wet the bed, so I had to do some laundry first thing.  Otherwise, he seems to be doing okay.  I'm hoping the van trip goes well, and we have a good time at Burger King.  

Youngest DGS and my SIL are down at the college -- orientation as well as some placement tests and a workout with the football team.  It will be a long day, but pretty exciting.

I dropped more stuff off at the thrift shop after my meeting at the facility.  Still more papers to go through, and lots of stuff in the storage room.  But, I'm pretty pleased at my progress.  

Hope both of you have a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It is cool and rainy...only about 62 compared to 88 yesterday. My dil wants to keep everyone in the garage and back yard. Hope the sun comes up.

i managed to fall don the stairs into the garage ..only 3 but steep and no railing. I am fine but can't figure out how I did that. My body is just not working correctly right now. Arghhh.

glad the thickener is working.. Hope dh has a good day. My mom had no railings but she also did not move. That law was put in nationwide because of abuse in nursing homes of elderly patients. I know my sil has fallen out of bed many times. Hope dgs enjoys his college weekend, Linda.

Claudia...nice to hear some things got done. Hope the doggies are behaving.

Pepper has to go on a diet because she is gaining weight too quickly. So m will cut back to 3/4 of a cup of food. 

Hope ped your day goes well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about your fall, Barbara.  Hope you will not suffer too much pain from it.  You must be really looking forward to the infusion.  Good idea to watch Pepper's weight -- I'm sure they have caught things in time.  That is quite a cool down for you.  It is supposed to be quite warm here today (100 or so), but we had a bit of rain yesterday evening, and that cooled things down for a little while.

Hope you are having a good day, Claudia, and the dogs are behaving themselves.

DH's trip with day services went okay, thank goodness.  But, they had to stop a couple of times on the way home, and it was nearly 2:00 before we were having lunch at the Burger King.  I bought DH soft ice cream for dessert, and then they bought it for everyone.  At least it was quite inexpensive.  I wasn't sure how it would work for him to be in a wheelchair, but he seemed to do pretty well except for not putting his feet on the rests.  

Since it was pretty late, I just brought him home from the restaurant rather than having him go back to day services and then pick him up.  The bed handle/rail came, but I think he is confused about it. He kept getting into the bed wrong (horizontal), and I am wondering if it was due to the handle being on the side of the bed.   Not sure about that.

I am still going through the contents of his cabinet as well as the storage room.  I am thinking about giving away all my scrapbook stuff since I never want to take the time to use it.  I like making electronic scrapbooks instead of all the cutting and pasting.  But, I may want to use some of the materials to make a scrapbook for DD since I found several old pictures of her.  I have decided to get rid of a bunch of my decorations (non-Christmas).  Just not enough room to store all that stuff in the house.

The hospice volunteer came this morning, and I did a bunch of exercise at the gym plus I picked up a few more things from the storage room.  DH slept through most of her visit (all but five minutes), but she brought reading materials since that is what happened last time.  She will be coming again next week, and I have a caregiver coming tomorrow morning so I can go to church and either take a walk or use the treadmill at the gym.  That is expensive, but.....

Hope both of you have a good day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm sorry you fell but thankful you didn't break anything. You'll probably be sore though.

It is very hot and humid today. I mowed this morning as the paper mentioned events were cancelled for today due to expected storms. I was almost done with the front yard when the batteries needed charged. That bit will have to be done another day.

By noon all my various chores were done. Unfortunately that was about the time R got going on what he wanted done and I ended up getting roped into those.

We never did go out to dinner last night. He was tired after a nap. This has happened before and you'd think I'd learn. Tonight I plan to pick up Pellegrino

Roast beef dinner. R has indigestion but the dinner can be heated up later.

Linda, hopefully DH will get used to the rail. Having a caregiver come may be pricey but it's worth it.

R keeps looking at the county wide online garage sale site and trying to talk me into items. I'm not buying something just because it's advertised. It has to fit the purpose I have in mind. After all he's the one who said we don't have room for more furnishings.