Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED. sHOPAHOLICS. Week of June 5

We made it back safely. Amie was pretty stressed because they are leaving on a road trip for 3 days. They have one day at home and are going camping for a week. We still had a good visit but she had a bad headache most of the time. 

Pepper er is doing fine again...she is not yo run or jump but try to tell a puppy that.

i went grocery shopping...it was hard because today is a pain day. The washing machine is fixed so v has laundry going. Yippee!!!

Syd is done with school on Friiday...cannot believe she will be in middle school in 3 months.

Linda..those big roaches are called sewer roaches...we used to have them frequently, but very few appear since our bug guy comes monthly. It is so sad that dh is now having more trouble walking. Too bad his dd could not come and give you a break for a week.😡

We are are to have pretty warm weather by the end of the week.,v4s 3rd birthday is on Satyrday so we will,be gone over the weekend.

Claudia..hope you can rest up from all of the driving. Pepper now weighs 9 pounds.

have a very good day.

Respected Contributor

It is heartbreaking, Linda. Such a terrible disease.

We got home before noon to find quite a mess. Either people were walking around the house or Griff went into panic. Souvenir magnets were off the steel door, behind the loveseat the table with a slate top was upended and two legs broken off.  Books and papers plus phone were knocked off the computer desk. In the kitchen things were knocked off the corner cupboard and window sill.

R thinks he can fix the table. Shortly after 4 we load Griff up for his vet visit. In the living room I think he went over the back of the loveseat and landed on the table then when that toppled knocked things off the computer desk.

It's a shame Amie had the headache to add to her stress. I hope they have a good time, Barbara. Isn't it wonderful to have the washer working again?

Respected Contributor

I have been busy..went to check out flooring and got prices for installation . It is a bit more than I thought. I am going to see if v3 can take up the old carpeting...that would save over 500 dollars. Our family room is big...25 by 25. Will have to see what v thinks. 

I continue to to have a lot of aches...infusion is next week..I delayed it a week to be sure I would be good for Nationals.

Linda..so nice to hear that dgd likes school. It will be good for her , I think. It really sounds as if dh is getting to be more incontinent. I admire you for what you do..that would be very difficult for me to handle.

poor v...I told him to wash the clothes in the baskets, not realizing that he would wash ms nicely folded clothes. So hers were doubly clean..lol. He is such a good guy..

i told old syd that I am going to hire her to help me clean out a couple of closets and the cabinets that we have in the family room. She liked that idea.

Claudia...yikes to what griff did. What a mess. V3 has a big lab who loves to get into stuff when she is home alone so they have to kennel. The other 2 are very good. 

And yes yes I am very happy that I can wash clothes here.

i have a pedicure this afternoon and will make Mac ad cheese for dinner. Not my favorite but Syd loves it.

hope you are both having a good day.

Respected Contributor

52 degrees today. We drove down the one avenue where trees were uprooted after the tornado jumped the creek. Only one lane was open 48 hours later. I am amazed the houses were spared. We were on our way home after Griff's vet visit. The vet checked with our local Wal-Mart and found Griff's medicine was in stock and we could get it for $24 instead of the $60 we had been paying at CVS.

Our carpet for the back room was more than I expected too Barbara. The room was larger than I thought though not as large as your room.

We had permission to cut down the sapling in the deceased neighbor's yard. It was up against our fence and starting to grow into the chain link. I took the branches to t h e brush collection bin at the city's public works.

Good idea to to work the infusion dates around your trip to nationals.

I had some lobster Mac and cheese for lunch. 

Esteemed Contributor

You are making me hungry for mac and cheese.  I don't have it often, but I enjoy it.  My second DGS loves it, but I think the younger one will not eat pasta of any kind.

Sorry about the big mess Griff made, Claudia.  Do you think he has "separation anxiety"?  I know that one of my dogs had that big time.  This was before FDA approved a medication, and the behavioral tricks just did not work.  I did end up putting her into a crate, but she managed to get out of it until I used two bungee cords around the crate, etc.  

Yesterday evening was not great for DH (messes), and he started choking at dinner.  The caregiver asked if he choked on liquids, which he does.  Apparently, there is a thickener you can add to his beverages.  I'll talk to the nurse about it tomorrow.  Meantime, the caregiver got his clothes on and was pulling up his pants when he urinated on the carpet, his pants, etc.  That is the first time when she has been here.  Anyway, off came his previously clean pants, etc.  She helped with cleaning up the carpet -- kind lady.

Sorry the carpet/flooring is more than expected Barbara.  I really want to replace the carpet in the bedrooms, but I'll wait until DH is not here to mess it up.  Not to be cruel, but just realistic.

Also sorry you are feeling achy, Barbara, but I understand why you are delaying the infusion so you won't have pain at the Nationals.  Today is DGS' last dance class before the recitals Saturday and Sunday.  She likes dance and her friends, but there is just too much to do in college for her to continue.

I had ordered a fan from Amazon, and it was so loud that I decided to send it back.  Even putting it on the back porch was too loud.  Yikes!  It was pretty large, and I had trouble getting into the UPS store.  I thought about keeping it, but I realized it would not be used much at all due to the noise.

Interesting about the sewer roaches, Barbara.  Good name for them.

DD found tires for her SUV, so I transferred the money.  Not cheap, but hopefully safe.  Meanwhile, oldest DGS lost his car key at work, and ended up having to get a new key and remote.  He was not happy, and his Dad suggested a lanyard which he purchased.  DD said she thought about it, but didn't have problems with losing her keys.  I told her that would happen when she got older.  LOL

I need to pick up a few things at the grocery store, and I also want to go by the storage room.  I still have a little more work to do on DH's cabinet, but there is light at the end of the tunnel for that project.  Wonder if I'll ever finish this de-cluttering?

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Not cruel at all, Linda. Given DH's problems replacing the carpet at this point is not practical. I hope the thickened helps the swallowing problem.

If Griff has separation anxiety it hasn't shown up prior to yesterday. I tend to think  someone was outside. We'll see if there's a repeat of the behavior. It sounds like your fan was the type Whit had in Maine. It was very large and loud.

I think the decluttering will always be with me. I need a burst of energy which I just don't have right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope both of you are feeling well today, although I imagine Barbara is still achy.  Hope that Griff does not repeat that crazy behavior again, Claudia.  Your furniture/house is taking a beating.

I  bought a new fan at Wal-Mart.  Not as powerful, but at least I can tolerate the noise.  I also stopped by the storage room, and found a suitcase, throw, and the clothes rack to donate.  I took care of that yesterday afternoon.  I did not bring anything home to sort through, which was probably a good idea since there was no time yesterday evening.

A lady came from hospice shortly after we got home from day services -- she is the one who files the report saying whether someone can continue on hospice or needs to go off.  As she explained it, if you are the same or worse, you will stay.  Only if you are getting better is it possible that you will go off hospice.  I don't think DH will have any problem with staying.  She said she will be visiting every two months.

The manager of the facility called, and we have an appointment tomorrow morning.  As of now, I think DH will be going on a trip in the day services van (sitting in a wheelchair), and I will meet him for lunch at Burger King tomorrow.  Not sure how it will go with the wheelchair, but the van will be equipped with one.

After the hospice visit, I decided to take a nap.  My eyes were bothering me, and I was a bit tired.  I offered taking a nap in the bed to DH, and he agreed.  My nap was fairly short, but he was still sleeping when I got up to start dinner.  All of a sudden, I heard a noise.  You guessed it, DH was on the floor again.  No injury, but he could not get up.  I called emergency and the hospice, and things did not go completely smoothly -- they sent police rather than EMTs, and the hospice nurse and I were disconnected on the phone.  Eventually, all was okay -- the EMTs lifted DH up, and I reached the nurse to tell him that there was no need to come.  

However, dinner was delayed, and my nerves were pretty much on edge.  DH seems very weak when things like this happen.  The police/EMTs were suggesting a walker with a seat, etc., but I'm not sure that would work.  The nurse thinks that he would have trouble with it, and she is probably correct.

He seems okay this morning, and I'll take him to day services.  I plan to go to the gym, and maybe go by the storage room again.

The sleep mask came yesterday, and I think it will work well.  Thanks Claudia.  The only problem is that I started looking at all the neat stuff in the catalog -- I think I could do some serious damage there.  I kept having to remind myself how little traveling I am doing lately. I can always buy the neat stuff when that changes.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning...more chaos with the street. We were told yesterday that we would not be able to use the driveway for 3 days since they are pouring concrete for the apron and sidewalks. Since there are no curbs the drop to the street is about a foot. Now there is no way. V can do that with his balance issues and right now that is a big step for me. I explained our situation and they have been very accommodating...constructing a ramp so we can use the driveway. I thought that was very nice.

the cost for the floor is so high because we have to pay for carpet removal and furniture moving. I may talk to v 3 to see if he could do the carpet removal. He did it in hs home. 

Claudia, ad with everything, costs have gone up a lot. Hope r can fix the table griff broke.

i have no energy for decluttering right now...hopefully Syd and I will tackle her toys soon.

Linda..I would have bought tires also...safety is so important.,I think choking is quite common in advanced stages. My sil is tube fed now. It seems like some new negative happens weekly.

Respected Contributor

Linda..read your post...I was not finish with my other post. Do you think a hospital bed with railings would keep him safer?   Things seem to be getting so much harder for you. It is good day care will take him..(((((many hugs))))).

i hope you both have a decent day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad they helped with the driveway issue, Barbara.  I am sure I will need to pay for the carpet removal and furniture moving when I get around to replacing the carpet.  Hope that V3 can help you. 

I don't think DH will be tube fed -- as I understand the medical power of attorney he signed (and I did as well), this would be contrary to what he wants.  Hope that decision is a long way off.  

One of the ladies at work agreed to have her DH "hooked up" to a lot of machines, and then regretted the decision since he had almost drained all their savings, etc. before he passed away.  I learned from her that you need to be very careful about what you agree to in a medical setting.  Although maybe the feeding tube is not considered to be the same sort of thing.  I thought hospice would not want you to have that sort of thing, and your SIL is on hospice, so maybe I am wrong about that.

So sorry to hear anyone has to go through what she and your BIL are going through.  Terribly sad.

--------------

I think I will ask about the hospital bed when I talk to the nurse.  I need to do a bit more office cleaning before it could work, but I hate it that he keeps falling out/off the bed.  Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until after his DD's stay and his two weeks at the facility.  My plan is for him to have a hospital bed there when he goes there permanently, and maybe it should just be delivered there rather than here and then me having to have it moved.