Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLiCS -- Week of March 8th

A late post....I have not been too busy today. I went to target to pick up a few items...no hand sanitizer or disinfecting products.. I needed some bathroom cleaner. One of the big grocery stores is going to limit purchases of t paper and disinfectant products. I think that is a good thing.

my energy level is low so I am pretty content to stay home. I wonder what is going to happen with our church choir if things get intense.

it has rained quite a bit today..more is expected to,ortow and Friday. Pepper got wet this morning but we went out in between showers this afternoon.

hope everyone has had a good day.🐸🐸

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  I think we had less rain than you did today, Barbara.  The sun is out at the moment.  I got an e-mail (or saw an article) about Fry's limiting those purchases, and I think it is a good idea.  DD said that she was unable to find toilet paper. sanitizer, or tissues at COSTCO.  Supposedly, they will be getting more supplies.  She has some, but could use more given that there are still five of them living at home.

Sorry your energy level is low.  Darn RA!

Hope Pepper wasn't difficult to handle in the rain.  I know my dogs hated the rain, so it was difficult to get them to "do their business" when it was raining hard.

I'm back from visiting my hospice patient.  The phone number at the home didn't work (said the phone was not in order), but the caregivers said they hadn't changed numbers or anything.  I just took a chance, and my patient was awake and talking (as usual).  I have decided she was a very intelligent lady in her time. Extremely confused these days, but....  When I left, I saw a social worker from the Hospice, and we chatted a bit.

Earlier, I had yoga class, and they had all sorts of wipes, etc.  The instructor usually brings extra mats and blankets, but did not do so today.  I am still on the mailing list of my old church, and they said they are changing things around -- no passing the collection plate, no communion, etc.  And, the nursing home I have visited in the past (do not like) and associated assisted living facility are not allowing any visitors.  It seems like everyone is taking steps to avoid the virus or at least spreading the virus. 

As I mentioned on the other thread, DH's DD e-mailed that she is concerned about having a lot of sick patients to treat at the hospital.  And, she and her husband have colds already.  Yikes!

I picked up my dress from the alterations place, and it fits very well -- wrinkled, but....  I figure it will just get wrinkled again in transit to Maryland, but DD has a steamer that I can use.

We are expecting rain tomorrow and Friday as well, plus cooler weather.  I think the weeds are loving the rain, but at least I have a plant that is blooming.  It was almost killed by an unknown animal right after I planted it, so this is the first time it has bloomed since I bought it last year.

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are okay, Claudia.

Sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

No rain today but it was cloudy and cool. R had his senior bowling and most people were there.

I had to make a quick dash to the store as I found I was it of an ingredient for the casserole. I picked a small grocery because it was nearby. I saw they had a small stock of toilet paper plus some disinfecting wipes.

Linda, is DH's daughter's older girl still in Spain or home? Too bad she and her husband both have colds. That adds to a stressful situation. I'm glad your dress fits very well. Hopefully your CD can stick up with some more supplies since there are 5 of them at home. I'm glad you were able to visit your hospice patient.I

How nice your plant is blooming. That's bound to cheer you up. As for the weeds have you tried spraying them with vinegar? That worked for me last year. I've heard if you use vinegar and salt they won't grow back.. I've only used vinegar.

Sorry your energy level is low, Barbara. That makes it difficult to say the least. I hope Pepper behaved herself when out. I've found kids and animals usually acted up any time I didn't feel well.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the older girl is still in Spain, Claudia.  Hope she will be able to come home when school finishes.  One of their family friends has a daughter who is living in Rome -- now confined to the house.  

Just got an e-mail from our Turkish friend -- turns out she had a TIA.  I am surprised since she is younger than me, and has been is very good health as far as I know.  She walks a lot, and has done all sorts of physical labor like sealing roofs and getting houses ready for rental, etc.  Her husband is 90 years old, and in poor health.  No details at the moment.  

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. We played bridge this morning..then went to get a few necessities..I refused to go into Costco..there was a line waiting to get in.,we went to frys..it was crowded..I think people must believe it is ythe end of the world. Yikes

we signed the papers to put our house on the market. M is still having her freak out moments.

my friend is returning from Israel early. The borders are being closed to all foreigners. She will have to self quarantine for 2 weeks.

linda I Hope dhs dgd gets home safely from Spain. I would not want to be traveling out of the country right now. Too bad about your friends TIA. I had a friend who had one in her 40s.

Claudia.hope all is calm at your house. We are having lots of rain here..I try to time peppers trips outside in between storms.

have a good evening...sleep well.

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to mention that I have used vinegar and a vinegar mixture (Epsom salt and Dawn) and also the heavy-duty commercial weed killer to no avail, Claudia.  Some urge spraying with pre-emergent weedkiller, but I never seem to get it together "pre".  

Hope you had an okay day, and R and your furbabies are doing well.

I don't blame you for skipping COSTCO, Barbara -- people waiting in line -- yikes!  I went to Wal Mart and the 99 cent store -- neither had toilet paper.  The 99 cent store did have some bleach which I purchased along with a few other staples.  People are freaking out for sure.

Glad you were able to get some things at Fry's and were able to play bridge.  I didn't realize that people had TIA's so young as in their 40's.  

So many things are being canceled around here.  All OLLI classes are canceled -- they may have some classes in June, but no more this "term".  And, they canceled a year-end party.  Then, they canceled strong bones 2.  The senior lunch program is still meeting, but nothing else in the community center.  Then, they canceled a day trip to the Chiricahua National Monument I signed up for (not scheduled until April).  So far, I can still visit my hospice patient, but some volunteers cannot visit since their patients are in facilities not allowing visitors.  All the schools in Maryland (K-12 at least) are closed.  My nephew's wife is a highs school teacher in Maryland.  They may try to arrange for on-line school, but it is not set up yet.

Today is DD's birthday, and she was headed out to have her hair done (just a coincidence).  She said that she and DGD looked at a "doggy day care" facility, and found it was just awful.  They have arranged for a dog sitter for the wedding.

I sent an e-mail to my financial adviser -- trying to understand why my IRA was going down a much higher percentage than my individual account, and she called me back.  Very nice lady -- turns out that she is a volunteer and board member of a non-profit hospice in the Tulsa, OK area.  I will be okay, but my "net worth" has plummeted the past week or so.  Hopefully, things will improve eventually.  The company has a lot of very good researchers and know what they are doing, so I am not at all panicked.

She was telling me that she has a friend or relative who lives in Florence, Italy, and they are not allowed to be closer than three feet if they are outside their homes -- I wondered about taking a walk if I were being quarantined.  Of course, the rules could be different here.  Glad your friend is coming back from Israel early, Barbara.

On the good news front, my electric bill (on budget) is going down about $10 a month.  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Calm? It's never calm. I picked up another sweatshirt for R plus lighter weight athletic pants and a tee. He was frantic before bowling searching for what safe place he put them in.

I went to breakfast with some people I went to school with. 7 people was more my speed and even then no chance to talk to some of them. The classmate who was so sick is still in the nursing home and will be for quite some time. The nursing homes are limiting visits to one visitor a day and checking temperatures at the entrance. All events and church services are cancelled.

I got a few errands done. Griffyn is lying down and entertaining himself by barking. Tip is sacked out on the couch upside down.

The tire sealant for the air compressor is in so we'll drive out there tomorrow morning and stop for breakfast on our way.

I see the University of Pittsburgh and its satellite campuses are going to online classes like so many other colleges at this time.

Barbara, I'm glad your friend was able to get a flight home even if she ended up shortening her trip. It's good your house is now on the market. I hope M isn't too stressed.

Linda, I hope all goes well with your DH'S granddaughter getting home eventually. At least she's with a family that's a better fit for her than the first. R had a tia about 10 years ago but no lasting effects from it. He takes a regular aspirin daily.

Respected Contributor

So far our K-12 schools are open. Too bad your day trip was cancelled, Linda. I saw on FB a poster suggested ordering a portable bidet from Amazon. I saw Aldi's still had toilet paper today along with a small grocery store.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon....it is cooler here. I just had Pepper out and while I was there it got cool rainy with a gusty wind. I got a little chilled. 

there is no toilet paper anywhere....I think people are getting more crazy. I stopped by my other grocery store and while there was plenty of food...people had very full carts. I had just purchased a few specials. 

m was very stressed today again....she has always taken the most negative approach and she is there again. Amie said that she is going to help her settle down.they plan on finishing up what needs to be done tomorrow.

i have decided to stay at home as much as possible for a while. I think with our health issues that would be good.

Linda..I am happy that your financial advisor was reassuring. I hope you had a nice lunch. I think a lot of things are going to be cancelled for a while. I bet your dress for the wedding is very pretty.

m is wondering what she will do if syds school is cancelled.

Claudia..it is always good to meet with friends. Hope tyecgurbabies are good. 

have a good evening..💜💜

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  I think staying home as much as possible is a good idea for you and V, Barbara.  Hope M calms down.  I would not be surprised if Syd's school were closed since they are closing schools all over the country.  It was a bit chilly here today, plus windy.  But, no rain since this morning -- we had some sprinkles along with a beautiful rainbow.

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.

DD said her grocery stores plus the commissary were very low on meat, so she went to a local butcher.  It was crowded, but she got lots of meat.  She said her birthday was nice -- oldest DGS and his fiance came over.  His business was supposed to fly him up to New Hampshire for an interview next Tuesday, but they decided to do the interview on-line instead.

Jo Ann and I had a very nice lunch.  She is dealing with all sorts of issues getting her house ready for sale, including getting rid of lots of stuff plus having a decorative pool and fountain repaired.  I noticed there were not many people in the restaurant, which was okay by us.  I hope to see her again before her move, but I am not counting on it.

The minister of my "new" church sent out an e-mail suggesting if you are over 60 or have health conditions you should consider not attending church at least for the next few weeks.  The services are streamed on Facebook, but I am pretty sad about it.

After my visit with Jo Ann, I stopped by the grocery store that was packed and missing many things -- not just the usual toilet paper and sensitizers.  Even tofu was out.  And, the check-out line was long and slow.  Then, I went to the bank and stopped by Wal Mart to check on the toilet paper.  Success!   A clerk was standing in the middle of the aisle and asking how many packages you wanted -- fortunately, I was able to get a package.  Not my usual brand, but I really don't care.  In fact, I never really cared about the brand, but got used to buying DH's favorite (not too expensive and okay).  Then, I went to Sprouts -- very, very crowded and out of several things (fruits and vegetables, etc., that I buy there).  I did not check out the meat since I don't eat much and already got some chicken at Safeway.  I definitely won't starve unless I am confined for a long time.  

I hope that things will start to calm down after a week or two.  I think the uncertainly is really adding to the fear.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda