Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLIiCS week of July 12

it is the day before the move rush...actually. Think we are in good shape. Sydnies room still needs to be finished and there are boxes in the kitchen. All I can say is yikes. 

My hip is better but I still need to be very careful. 

I am sad about leaving..Sydnie is having a hard time, but it wiil make it easier for us. Life is a series of transitions. 

Tomorrow is going to be very busy...so I may not post.

have a great day. 🐸🐸

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLIiCS week of July 12

Good Morning/Afternoon!  I am sure tomorrow will be exhausting, Barbara.  But, hopefully there will be some time to decompress later in the week.  I think it is quite normal to feel sad about leaving a home where you have so many memories.  Hugs.   Take it as easy as you can with that hip.  

Another excessive heat warning for today, and today is supposed to be the hottest -- 108 or higher.  Some areas north of here had some rain yesterday evening, but we did not.  Very strange skies, however.  

Just finished my on-line church service that was good.  My very early morning walk went okay -- not too hot.  But, certainly not cool.  I don't have any big plans for the day -- a little ironing and cleaning.

I may try another (shorter) Leslie Sansone DVD.  I realized that without going to the gym, I am not doing as much cardio exercise -- lots of walking, but not at the brisk pace like when I used the elliptical machine.  I don't think I can handle Leslie's DVD's every day, but maybe three days a week (like when I went to the gym.)  

Glad you got some needed rain, Claudia.  I think it is a good idea to take it easy some days.  Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.  I know I could probably not sleep well if I were moving tomorrow, but I hope you have better luck, Barbara.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I hope tomorrow's move goes well, Barbara. Do take it easy and rest as you can. Maybe have Sydnie come up with positives for the move, such as a fenced yard for Pepper. Sometimes coming up with positives can turn feelings around.

A sunny day here but not as hot. R is having a lot of hip problems and is back to using a cane. He forgets where he left them so it's good we have a number of canes for him to use including my dad and grandfather's.

While cleaning a drawer in the washer and I found a photocopy of a full page newspaper spread from 1962 of my dad and amateur radio. I would have been 10 or 11. Now to see about making copies. I think I need legal size paper.

it's a good idea not to do the dvd every day, Linda. I'm glad your online church service was good.

Young cat actually set foot in the sunporch briefly and will twine around my legs. He's a work in progress.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  Hope the move is going okay, Barbara.  Please try to not overdo things.

Sorry about R's hip pain, Claudia.  DH used to leave his readers (glasses) all over the house, since he kept misplacing them.  Good that you have more than one cane for R.  Hope your weather is okay today.

I got a message from Road Scholar that I would have to make changes over the phone, so I called this morning.  Very happy that I got right in, and I was able to change to a tour for September 2021 (same tour of Utah parks).  The lady was so very nice, and my $100 deposit was transferred with no problem.  The tour will cost a bit more next year, but I'm sure lots of tours will be higher since the loss of business this year.  Whew!  I'm glad that is off my mind.

DD said that her car is in the shop after the check engine light came on plus there was a message about the coolant.  Hopefully, it can be repaired, and it isn't too expensive.  She is saving for a new "used" car, but this isn't a good time to find one for sale.   The good part is that she can use my SIL's car since he is working from home.

I found three pairs of shoes to donate/trash (one donate and two trash).  I'm pretty happy to be making progress. 

Very quiet here, but I decided to go out and buy some gasoline.  Wore a mask(with extender) and gloves, and everything worked  well.   

DGS and his wife's dog has giardia which the vet thinks may be causing his lack of appetite, etc.  Hopefully, the medicine will help him, so he can gain some weight -- still less than two pounds.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It's been a nice sunny day in the 70's.

Barbara, I hope the move is going well today with no surprises.

I went between the fences at the back of the yard as I saw middle-aged sprouting low down on those trees. Unbelievable. It's been less than a week since I last checked. One thing led to another and I mowed 2/3 of the lawn. After all who knows it might rain.

I picked up a couple replacement cat beds at Aldi's the other day. $9.99 isn't bad.  Miss Boots has settled in one. Pippen though is very suspicious.

Linda, that's great you could change the tour to next year. I hope the fix for your DD's car isn't expensive. Fingers crossed DGS and wife's puppy will start feeling better.

Respected Contributor

oh my...we survived the initial move out. The guys that did it were great, but the company misunderstood that our home was large with a lot of boxes and furniture. So that involved a second truck and more $$$. Moving is very expensive  to say the least, but the company is very good and the workers were pretty funny. 

I am very tired..did not sleep well last night because I had lots of leg cramps ..that is uniusual for me. Hope it is better tonight.

i don't know if we get our furniture tomorrow or Thursday. Un packing will take some time.

I went to the grocery store to get some turkey to make sandwiches for supper because we do not like eating out.Less than half f the people had on masks. Stupid.

Linda..be very careful...

((hugs)))😘

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you survived the move so far, Barbara and the moving guys were good. I hope tonight is a better night and you don't have to deal with leg cramps again.

I accompanied R to his orthopedic appointment this morning. As suspected the right hip is bone on bone. Right hip replacement is scheduled for late September. After that we scheduled his acupuncture for next week. Tomorrow is an out of town trip to get his left wrist checked. Of course it's not hurting right now.

Today would have been the day we would have left to attend his buddy's Arlington burial. R is definitely not up to that drive or walking any distance.

I'm sure you're being cautious when going out, Linda.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad the movers were good, Barbara.  But, I am sorry that it cost more than expected, etc.  I keep telling myself that if I move again, I will take as little as possible.  The packing, unpacking, etc. is just too much.  I don't know about restaurants around here since I have only been to one with my friend, and I have only carried out once.  They do require masks at the Safeway and Sprouts, and now I am just doing the grocery pick-up at Wal Mart.  They bring the things to my car and put them in the trunk.  I don't even sign for the items, but I still wore a mask.  I noticed the person in the next car was also wearing one. 

I know the man who came about the AC and furnace wore a mask, and I'm guessing the ones who will be installing them will wear them, at least when they are in the house.  I know they will need to come in the house to put in the new thermostat, but maybe not much else.  

Sorry you didn't sleep well last night, Barbara.  Enjoy your turkey sandwiches.  

Sorry about R's hip, Claudia, but at least he has an appointment for the replacement.  Good luck tomorrow.  Definitely not a time to be doing a lot of driving.

DD hasn't heard anything about her car, but isn't upset since she can use her husbands.  Apparently, DGS' puppy is doing better already.  

The Wal Mart pick-up went better today (no parking lot issues), so I think I will aim for days other than Friday in the future.  I "attended" an on-line concert, and then did a Leslie Sansone DVD -- very vigorous, so I'm a bit sweaty.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's commotion, and time without AC (when they take out the old and put in the new), but hopefully, they will do it as quickly and well as possible.  I am chilling a lot of bottled water for the workers, and I have a cooler ready.

Hope both of you, your families and furbabies sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I know the Wal-Mart up here is terribly busy on Fridays, Linda. Very early morning isn't too bad but as the day goes on it gets much worse.

On our way to the city for R's appointment tomorrow I plan to leave early enough to stop at a bakery halfway there. Coming home will be a Wegmans stop.

I'm glad to hear your DGS and his wife's puppy is improving.

3 houses down where the garage was torn down there is an opening in their fence now and I've seen their dogs running around the neighborhood. I feed young cat now at the top of our steps.

I'm considering ordering a walker for when R has surgery or if he needs one before.   The VA have him one for his first surgery but it didn't have wheels and he wore the feet on it walking up and down the street. I picked up one with wheels and a seat. Last fall I "loaned" ours to a friend's mother when she got out of a nursing home after breaking her hip. It's working well for her and I'm not about to ask for it back.

The battery powered mower isn't fixable. R cut off a part that was bent thinking he could get a replacement only to find he'd have to replace the motor. SMH. I really don't mind using the old fashioned reel mower except when it's 90+ degrees.I

I hope the ac installation goes smoothly tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you were able to fit your errands in to and from R's appointment and it went well, Claudia.  I think a walker with a seat is a great idea as long as it isn't too expensive.

They just announced that masks will be required at all Wal Marts, so now I will consider shopping in person when I need more from them.  I must admit having them put the water softener salt and case of bottled water in my trunk was quite a luxury.  Also, it is easier for me to read product labels on-line rather than in the store.  I used to buy the same things, but now am trying new things and always want to check the fat and cholesterol content. 

I'm the happy owner of a new AC and furnace.  The installers were very nice.  They came with a canopy to help with the intense sun, and I thought that was a great idea.  They did a tremendous amount of work -- taking out the old units plus the slab the AC was on, etc.  And, they did not need to add to my electrical box after all.  They did put surge protectors on both.  They brought a non-programmable thermostat, but I insisted on a programmable one which they brought and installed.  Both guys wore masks.

The AC unit is much larger than the old one, and really nice. 

As you may have read on the other thread, DD is finally going back to college.  I had been pressing her to do so, and offered to pay for her classes.  She had been putting me off, but called this morning to ask if she could use our joint bank account to pay for a class.  She is starting with the idea of getting certificates rather than an AA degree, but may try for the AA degree as well.  I'm so happy!  Since I have been putting money aside to pay for my grands, it isn't a big deal for me to pay for her schooling, especially since community college is very inexpensive.  Almost all of her classes will be on-line.  Better late than never.

I got up early so that I could be ready when the guys came, and I didn't sleep that well.  So, I will probably be sleepy this evening. 

Hope you are feeling okay, Barbara, and you are not overdoing things. 

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda 

P.S. We are having a thunderstorm -- pretty exciting.