Honored Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of October 6

@chprsp   Woman Very Happy at the toilet paper comment

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

That is funny, Claudia.  I think those childhood memories stick with you.  My Mom didn't drive, and we did not have any nearby grocery stores when I was young (now there are some, but....). And, my Dad worked at the airport when it snowed (cleaning runways for extra money).  Anyway, I distinctly remember when my Mom had very little food, and served my brother and I a small amount of peas and not much else for dinner.  

I keep telling myself there are stores nearby and snow problems are behind me, but I tend to overbuy "just in case".   I am working on it, but I'd be very nervous with R's approach.  

Esteemed Contributor

That was certainly a nasty lady on your tour, Claudia.  There are a couple of losers on this tour, but most people are very nice.  

I'll blame my purchases on you and Barbara.  LOL. We went via private boat to a lovely garden and villa and then to Bellagio for lunch and shopping.  My big purchase was a lovely, but totally unnecessary, silk scarf.  I also bought. T-shirt and tea towel.  It seems like I won't have much time at the airport on Sunday, so I think I will try to buy some of the food I would like to take home around here or perhaps at the place we are visiting tomorrow (via a train up the hill/mountain).  I can't remember how to spell it -- funucular (?). 

It was cloudy and quite cool this morning, but it is sunny now.  There are lots of people here for a bicycle race, so we may have to use different streets to get around.

Youngest DGS' car was in for an oil change, but needed a big transmission service.  DD has pretty much had it with cars.

Hope both of you have a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I have good days and not so good..guess what this one is??

The changed the dress code for choir..instead of white lons sleeve tops,we now have to wear black. I HAVE 3 very nice black tops but they aew 3/4 sleeve so. I had to break my no buy rule and get a couple. I could find nothing locally or at jjill, so visited tye q..found one by Isaac and another by joannrivers..both on sale. 

it is cooler here..high will be 89. V3 said they are getting a bit of snow.

Linda..safe travels back...WE HAVE NEVER HAD TROUBLE WITH GETTING TO THE AIRPORT on time. Hope you find the food products you are looking for. Your scarf sounds lovely. 

claudia..that was a chuckle about the toilet paper....my mom enjoyed grocery shelling and went to the store sometimes every day.  I tend to go a little more often than weekly because I have trouble figuring out meals for a week. Sales here are on Wednesday and Friday.

That was quite the nasty lady on the tour. We've only had issues with non handicapped people taking the handicapped seats. I took care of that...lol

enjoy your day...🤩🍁

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's too bad this was one of the not so good days, Barbara. It often seems that when you need a certain color or style that none can be found. Good that you found what you needed and on sale. Also it was a need not a want.

It's been another warm day. R went out to try his new crossbow and found he's not tall enough to pull it back. I forget what the term was. After my pt we had breakfast at the Plaza. I managed to rake out front this afternoon.. There's still tiny leaves from the locust tree but I raked what I could.  I figured it was good exercise for my arm/shoulder along with the exercises I'm to do. Leaf pickup begins next week.

Tomorrow is the last recycle collection of electronics, paint, etc. Several things are in the car for drop off tomorrow.

Years ago when we last visited my middle sister when they lived in DC I saw the fridge was completely filled. I never saw a fridge so filled up. She sure didn't want to run out of food.

I wish I'd been able to come up with a smart comeback for the woman on the tour. I always think of what I could have said after the fact.

Linda, have a good flight home. I'm sure they'll get you there in time. Enjoy your purchases. Just what your DD doesn't want - more car troubles.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry yesterday/today was not a good day for you. It is Saturday here, but I think still  Friday there.  Glad you were able to find tops on sale.  One of my volunteer jobs required white tops and black bottoms.  I had zero white tops at the time, so I ran out to buy some.  I still have a sort of cream-colored sweater I bought (close enough to white), but the job just didn't work out, LOL.

Maybe it was a DC hoarding issue, Claudia.  Probably not since I knew many people who did not have much in their refrigerators.  I keep things like nuts and seeds in the freezer or refrigerator, so they take up space.

Sorry the crossbow didn't work for R.   Glad you were able to rake leaves, and I hope you don't pay for it in terms of pain.

Forgot to mention that we saw George Clooney's estate from the boat -- pretty impressive and well isolated.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but there is a big bicycle race that ends in Como, and the town is packed with people plus the TV trucks have taken over the square next to the hotel.  Yikes!  I found it difficult to take a walk around town before dinner.  Hope to do so later today, but maybe not.  The tour director said the little meeting room we had used for a lecture was filled with precious bikes.  Supposedly the second most important bicycle race in Italy.

I'm certainly enjoying this vacation lifestyle -- sure it will be difficult to go back to reality when I get home, but that's life.

Hope both of you have a nice Saturday and feel better.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

It has been another very nice day.  Farewell dinner in an hour or so.

We went up the funicular early in the day, which was a great idea because it was very crowded when we came down.  We had a nice walk to an overlook, along with some coffee, souvenir shopping, etc.  My trip friend and I went out to search for a few things, and I did manage to find some of the food items I wanted.  We had a lovely lunch at a sidewalk cafe, and then some gelato (delicious).  She was a bit worn out, but I headed out to see what was happening with the bicycle race.  They had some music playing, and I ended up standing by the fence near the finish line for quite a while.  They gave me a little paper flag to wave, and eventually lots more people came along.  A man standing next to me really wanted a flag, so I gave him mine after waving it a few times.  I know he was surprised and happy.

I think I was able to change my airline seat from the window to the aisle (same row), but I'll know for sure tomorrow.  

It has certainly been a wonderful trip.  If I am able to get home in one piece, I may well consider another overseas trip in the future.  I have already decided to take a pain reliever when I first get on the plane --hope my knee is better.  It would also be nice to get some rest on the plane, but who knows.  

Hope both of you are having a nice Saturday.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..we washed the privacy screens in the Az room..unfortunately, the hose connection needs a new gasket so there was quite a bit of water on the floor...now I have to wash beach towels.  Lol

Linda..safe travels...it would be a good idea to take something for your knee...I am fortunate that I can sleep on planes..I use a mask and have a great neck pillow. Glad you found some of the food items.

Claudia...too bad the crossbow did not work out. My mom always kept a well stocked fridge...I do not have a ton of food..because my appetite is so weird, I never know what will appeal to me.

i received snow pics from both and v..m said they had nothing.

My last aunt died peacefully this morning..she was 94

safe travels Linda...enjoy your day.

🍁🍁

Respected Contributor

Linda, your last day sounds fun. I'm glad you were able to find some of the food items.  An aisle seat is a good idea. You can move your leg/ knee a bit so it doesn't stiffen.

We have a frost warning for after midnight. Carefully I moved a bin of summer clothes to the attic and brought the fleece sheets down. We had a late lunch/early supper at Bob Evans. I had soup and half a sandwich while R had salad and half a sandwich.

Griff and Tip ran around and wrestled in the back yard. They should sleep well tonight.

R is working on the garage again.

Lots of excitement last night. One of the buildings in an apartment complex about 3 miles up the road caught fire. Deputies driving by spotted it, called it in and evacuated residents and pets. One woman was critical with burns.

What a mess with hose, Barbara. Your aunt had a long life. I'm glad her passing was peaceful. My aunt who died last year was the last of the older generation. Suddenly I realized I was the oldest of the current generation.