Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of May 24

Good Evening!  Belated Happy Anniversary, Claudia.  Hope R is doing okay, and you enjoyed the pie.  Three tours in Vietnam was quite a lot. 

Sorry the buyers are requesting costly repairs, Barbara.  Hopefully, you can negotiate something.  

It wasn't as hot here as in PA or in your area, Barbara.  But, it did make it to the upper 90's.  Tomorrow should be hotter, and then the real heat is coming.  Probably not as hot as Phoenix, but excessive heat warnings for three days.

I heard from hospice that my meeting with the chaplain is Friday rather than Thursday, and he wanted it to be later.  I'm happy because I was afraid I wouldn't have a chance to take a very long walk before our meeting, and after it would be too hot.

My friend decided it was just too hot to have our gathering on the patio, so four of us met in her living room -- socially distant.  We had iced tea and one of the ladies brought a pie (chocolate cream cheese type).  I'm not a big fan of chocolate pie, but it was nice.  She happens to be from MN, and said she can't take the very hot weather.  

Another lady who came is suffering from shingles -- not all over, and she is just taking Tylenol.  But she said that sometimes she feels itchy all over.  

We had a very interesting discussion about many topics, and I found that one can buy traps to catch pack rats.  The lady from MN tried all the other techniques, but only a large trap worked -- she caught four or five of them.  I don't like the idea of having to get the rat out of the trap, but they are not that inexpensive.  Fortunately, I have not had packrats, but they are plentiful around here.  And, they can do a number on your car wires. 

The hostesses son had to go back to work (I think he works at a GM factory in TN) today, and he was not looking forward to the exposure.  

Tomorrow morning I have an audiologist appointment. 

The hairdresser called me to make sure I wanted to come in on Thursday and agreed to the conditions (no hair washing or blow drying plus wearing a mask).  Yes, I am willing to comply.  My hair is just way too long and hard to manage.

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies sleep/slept well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

good hot afternoon..it will be at least 108 today. We normally pack the car the night before but with 112 predicted for Friday..there are things that cannot go in the car, meds, wipes etc so we are going to have yo do a lot Saturday morning. We will be up quite early.

when it gets this hot you cannot step on pavement in bare feet...I will,take Pepper to a shaded place when she goes out in a bit.

Claudia...I dd not realize it was your anniversary...so happy, happy 🌹🌹

I cleaned out the fridge...we were going to keep it running but decided not to.  And I hVe some clothes packed. I need enough for a week since I think my clothes in Mn are packed.imhave to do things in bits and pieces.lol

Linda, glad you had a nice visit last night...I miss seeing my friends even though we have managed a few things. That was weird that it took the vein dr to get back to you so many moths later.

enjoy🥵🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Friday is supposed to be our hottest day, but only 105 or 106.  Probably a good idea not to pack too much until Saturday morning, Barbara.  Hope Pepper's feet won't get too hot.  I know that can be a problem for pets out here.

Really glad I found the other doctor to help with my varicose veins.  I did like the one who was so late, but I think he is more focused on people with more serious heart and vein conditions.  

Yesterday, one of my smoke alarms kept chirping, and I changed the battery, that didn't seem to help.  I noticed that it was six years old, and decided to order a new one from Amazon.  Then, I checked the batteries -- old and new, and found the new battery was also no good.  The new smoke alarm came today, and I decided just to put it up since it was not expensive.

The hairdresser wanted me to bring a picture of how I liked my hair, and I decided I don't like what my hair looked like in any pictures.  DD suggested, and I found a picture of a hair style I liked (it is called "classic bob"), and I hope that it pleases me.  DD has a hair appointment sometime in June, and then another later in the month to have her hair colored.  She has decided to go lighter and have what I would call some frosting.  It sounds very pretty.

I was a bit restless this morning, and decided to go to the Post Office to buy some stamps.  They were set up well, but I noticed at least half of the patrons (all old) were not wearing masks.  Fortunately, I was able to keep my distance since there weren't many in the building.

I stopped by my favorite nursery on the way home, but they didn't have interesting plants.  But, their little gift shop was open again.  And, I ended up buying another beaded necklace -- made by ladies in Guatemala.  This one is white and silver.  I didn't see anyone else in the store, and they have so many nice things.  But, I still could use a plant and didnt' need a necklace.

Hope both of you, you husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Late morning I started doing errands. It was 80° when I left the house and 90° by the time I got home. I needed another hanging plant for out back as the pole holds 2. One of the ones I had wasn't doing well with full sun so it moved out front. The other is called a chenille plant and is doing well so I bought another. I also stopped at Aldi's for a few things and bought a planter.

I picked up milk plus some hand sanitizer made from a distillery 30 or so miles away. Unlike what I have at home it is not a pump. The split folds down and it will work well for R at his muzzleloader shoots.

We finally made it across the street to see Sheila. When I came home I noticed she and her daughter and sil were on the porch. Before I hadn't wanted to go to the door in case she had trouble answering the door using a wheelchair. So we stayed safely socially distanced on the sidewalk. Of course stAnding on the sidewalk made my knees stiffen so R had to help me off the curb to the street and then back up when we got to our yard.

Barbara, I'm glad you have a spot to take Pepper too so her feet won't get burned.  When I want load the car up early I make a "staging" area in the house.

Linda, I'm amazed at the other doctor only getting back in touch with you now. I'm so glad you were able to get the surgery in November and December. I hope your hair appointment goes well. I wish I was getting mine trimmed. Enjoy your necklace.

Tippy was stretching from the dog's couch to the window behind which is about 5' off the floor because she saw a bumble bee flying outside. I was afraid my piece of art glass would come crashing down. Maybe I need to move it.

enjoy the evening.

Respected Contributor

it is quite warm outside..pepper did her thing, ate some grass and was ready to go home.by the way, we are good dog people .lalways clean up.

our home has a sold sign on it...yippee

Claudia..I will,do a staging area..Ve can pack some things tomorrow night. Glad you got to visit with your neighbor. My knees give me fits if I stand too long in one position.

Linda..hope you like your haircut.congrats to dd on her weight loss., are you happier now that you can get out a bit more.

the issues un Minneapolis is so sad. I am very familiar with the are where the riots are taking place. One of my schools was 2 blocks to the south.

sleep well 🥵🥵

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, I had to look up chenille plant, Claudia.  Very pretty.  I'm sure it is a good idea to dog proof your house.  Glad you had a chance to talk to your neighbor.

Rather busy day for me since I went to two grocery stores, the hairdresser, and then Wal Mart.  No wipes or spray disinfectant, but I got another travel size hand sanitizer.  You are only allowed to buy one bottle.  I found a small plant at Wal Mart along with some new sunshades for the car.  I think I had run over one of the old ones or at least got it caught in the trunk.  I do think they help.  

I like the new hairdresser and plan to use her again.  She had lots of questions for me, and I wasn't able to give sufficient directions, but she did well.  Her Mother lives in town, and she has lived and worked here for 19 years.

Hot, hot here, but that was expected.  Tomorrow even hotter.

Hope things are going okay there, Barbara. 

DD said that their puppy suffers from separation anxiety, and I suggested she talk to the vet about treatments.  She decided to go to a different Wal Mart (farther away) than normal for pick-up since they are doing COVID 19 testing in the parking lot of the closest store.

My SIL's office called and said that he could work at home full-time rather than come back to the office if he likes.  He is very happy since it is a long commute (well over an hour each way), and he has to pay an expensive toll.  It is a good sign that they know they can rely on him to work on his own.  None of his clients are near the office, so there really wasn't a reason for him to go all that way.  He has a nice "office" set up in the basement, and DD is buying him a new lamp.  Interestingly enough, human resources was having a space problem since they are trying to implement "social distancing".

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.  Your departure date is so soon, Barbara.  I know you are ready, but there will be a lot on your plate when you get home.  

Hugs,

Linda

ETA --

I love getting out more, Barbara.  Still not ready to do a whole lot, but spending time talking in the flesh certainly beats Zoom in my opinion.

I am sad about MN as well, Barbara.  Not sure if this happened in MN, but when ML King was assassinated, DC had lots of rioting, looting, etc., etc.  They were really discouraging people from going into DC from the suburbs.  My Mom lived very close to the DC line in Maryland.  I think there were checkpoints you needed to pass.  I was home with my new baby, but my ex and brother went down to take pictures.  It took years for some of the businesses to re-open, and some never came back.  I hope things will calm down soon.  But, I do understand why some people are so outraged.  The video was very hard to watch.

Respected Contributor

Only 80° today and some rain. We got one estimate back on the porches and it was more than I expected. It was more than the kitchen and bathroom remodels combined. We may do the front porch and save a bit more for the back of change the extent of what we do to it.  I don't want to empty the savings in case another need arises. I also don't want to over improve for the value of the house.

After the porches the roof is next on my list unless an issue arises sooner. Plus R's reunion may still be held. His combat buddy will be buried in Arlington and if the reunion is held and it coincides with the burial we'll go. So I have to factor in that expending with boarding the dogs.

That was a busy day, Linda in glad you like the new hairdresser. I just thought I'd mention there's a FB group called Well Behaved Pets that offers tips on positive training for pets. I've heard not to make a big deal about leaving or coming home and to try leaving for short periods of time and gradually lengthening it.  Also a tired dog is a good dog. It's great your sil can continue working from home.

The Minneapolis situation is a tragedy. I wondered if you knew the area, Barbara. Safe travels.

No idea how a bumble bee got in but Tippy discovered one by the window behind the couch and was right there. Window is 5' from the floor. There she was on the back of the couch with front feet on the tea cart. We disposed of it outside before she could eat it. Why is it dinner usually gets interrupted?

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is 108 at 1:30 in the afternoon...

I am going to try to convince pepper to potty on our rocks in the shade. 

I have a few last minute things to do and we will be ready to leave tomorrow. We are not going to pack the car until the sun goes down tonight.

M and I were on the phone watching Minneapolis burn last night. Some of the big stores like target, Costco etc. are closing in the suburbs for a few days. M was scared because our security motion light in back kept going on and off.She had the alarm on.8I told her it was probably a deer because they come from the woods across the street and graze.

Linda, glad you liked your haircut. It made me happy when I had mine done. 

Claudia..when we had the bee invasion, Pepper was going nuts. And we did not want her to get stung.  She s worried about being left because she will not let me out of her sight. Lol

i will try to post on our trip. Enjoy the day.🥵🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry the porch estimate was so high, Claudia. Hope the other bid is lower.  Good thing you were able to get rid of the bee.  DD doesn't "do" Facebook, but I will suggest she look for some on-line advice.  The puppy was doing well today, but she said it was too hot to go out much.  She took him for a walk in the morning.

I don't know if you have been to a funeral at Arlington, but they are very impressive, or at least they used to be very impressive at my Dad's funeral.  I know that they were having trouble keeping up with all the burials recently, but maybe things have improved.

My morning walk was okay, but it was already starting to get hot by the end.  I think I need to go out earlier than 6:00 a.m. or take shorter walks.  

I think our high was "only" 104 Barbara.  Suddenly, the wind really kicked up, and clouds came in.  No rain, but it did cool things down a little -- thank goodness.

I wondered about the stores in the suburbs.  I knew some were closing, but I didn't know in what areas.  I'm sure M will be happy to have the two of you back home during these times of turmoil. Hope things are quieter tonight.

The hairdresser and I discussed coloring my hair, and she offered to do "foils" -- apparently quite subtle coloring of a few sections.  She told me that my friend who is her client gets them done twice a year.  I figured I try it out, and perhaps do the same.  DD said that is what her hairdresser does.  I don't like spending money on things like hair and makeup, but I'm just ready for a treat.  I will be having this done toward the end of June.

I did my hospice mailings this morning, and the volunteer coordinator said this will be a weekly thing at least for a while.  I did not see the chaplain -- just a young lady who may the the receptionist.  I had to go and pick up the materials, do the stuffing, etc., take them to the Post Office, and then take the leftover labels and postage back to the office.  Not a big deal, but better than nothing.

Hope your trip is trouble-free, Barbara, also hope both of you, your husbands, and furbabies sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Respected Contributor

We've not been to an Arlington funeral and may not now as we haven't heard any more information. I know they're very impressive, Linda. Still waiting for more information.

Temperatures were in the 80's today and we had thunderstorms. R had his acupuncture appointment too. I haven't heard of any hair salons are open. I did see one barbershop was open.

Enjoy pampering yourself a bit, Linda.

Have a safe trip, Barbara. Pepper will be a well traveled pup. I'm sure M will feel less anxious with you and V there.