Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of May 24

Good morning..I am gearing up for the really hot weather that starts in the middle of the week. I agree with Linda...110 is easier to deal with than 85 and high humidity. I function here like I did in Mn when it was below zero...

we got the fusions in the Az room covered for the summer. When the monsoons blow through, things can get very dusty.

i am so disappointed in Amie. I doubt if we will see them this summer..but they are currently at her mils cabin. No offer to help with the move..I asked about my sil examining our eyes and she was vague. It is strange..my son an m feel she does not want to much with our family. It's her choice..but I feel sad.

i have made reservations at one of our tine shares for a few days after Labor Day.so we will be back by midcSeptember.  I told v nexybyear , there are 2 places in the White Mounrains ( about 100 miles from here..that I am going to boom out for June and then had up to Colorado.i don't plan on returning to Mn until after the %4th of July.

m is getting stressed about finding a house because she claims everything is sold within a day. It will be interesting when we get home.

i have to finish up the food I have here in the fridge this week..LOTS OF CHICKEN.

HOPE YOUR DAY IS GOING WELL.💕💕

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of May 24

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon!  That is sad about Amie, Barbara. Hope she changes her mind, and gets together with the rest of the family. 

For several years, my brother and SIL had very little to do with me and my family.  It hurt, and it also hurt that they didn't do much with/for Mom.  My Dad died nine years before she did, and they didn't visit or invite her to their home more than once a year for several years.  Now, my SIL talks like she really loved and misses my parents.  I can't help but be a bit skeptical.  

I had a little trouble reading what you wrote, but I take it next summer you plan to rent a place in the White Mountains for a couple of months.  I know several people around here who do the same and enjoy it.  Some own cabins up there -- I remember a couple talking about Pine Top.  DH and I never got around to doing it, and I'm not sure how fun it would be to do alone.  But, it would be nice to get away from the extreme heat for a little while.  

Sorry M is getting stressed -- I think moving and buying a new place is pretty stressful for most of us.  

Good luck with the chicken.  My German potato salad was good last night, and there is plenty more for tonight and at least one more night.  

Church on the computer was good this morning, and it was nice on my walk.

Sorry about R's buddy, Claudia.  I'm sure you are keeping busy with your furbabies and various visitors.  I don't usually decorate for Memorial Day, but I got out some of my little flags and other decorations (normally used for the 4th) and put them out after seeing some cute displays on neighbors yards. Not that many people are coming down the street, but....

Hope both of you, your husbands, and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda sorry about all of the typos..yes, we are going to use our timeshares as alternative places to stay next summer.i am looking at 2 weeks in Az and 2 in Colorado.

m just called..my sil,the former real estate agent wants her to look at a townhouse in the same complex they just moved into.,it looks quite nice..the hoa fees are reasonable and life would be easier for her. Liz has been trying to convince her that townhouses are the way to go.

by the way, I enlarged the font so I can see what I am typing.i am going to get me eyes checked when we get back. 

Respected Contributor

Last night R thought he'd come home today but when I spoke with him he decided to stay till tomorrow noon. He said his back is acting up. Really he did too much. Besides the competition he did the woodswalk shoot. I fully expect that when I pick him up tomorrow he'll be in worse shape than when I dropped him off.

It was 87° this afternoon. I managed to mow the backyard. I'm amazed at how fast the grass grew in only 5 days. I ever so carefully checked to see that neighbors and dogs weren't out before giving Griffyn and Tippy time outside. Wouldn't you know, less than 2 minutes after they went out the family one house away were out in their yard. There was Griffyn the barking fool running along the fence with Tippy  behind him trying to herd him towards the house telling him off. I managed to get Tippy in. TH she's bribeable. Then managed to head Griffyn towards the house.

That's too bad about Amie and family, Barbara. Maybe things will improve. It's a stressful time for everyone. I know how it feels. I never thought I'd have little contact if any with the grandkids. What does M think of the townhouse option?

I'm glad church on the computer was good this week, Linda and your walk was pleasant.

The young feral (maybe not so feral now) showed up at the front door asking for dinner.Jinx turned up 30 seconds later (the puppy is still next door and Jinx is not pleased). Instead of putting the food in the sheltered area I put it by the front door. Kitten started eating. I was concerned Jinx would try to chase him away from the food but Jinx just sprawled out on one of the steps.

it's almost time to take care of the cat litter and let the dogs out one more time. I didn't ask R if he's heard of funeral arrangements or a memorial service for Sam. Normally I think they'd do something at the reunion but that's still up in the air. Strange times indeed.

Sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is Memorial Day. I had 3 uncles who served in Ww2. My dad could not because he only had one leg. V was in Germany and one of his brothers served in Vietnam.there are. Lots of flags up here...sorry about the font change but my eyes are bothering me. My post yesterday was full of typos..lol.

It will be 100 today..possibly over 110 by the end of th week. 🥵🥵

M looked at 3 homes..the town house was sold before she could seeit. 2 today..one was a very overpriced and poorly done flip.My sil, who is an agent told her it would never pass inspection.The last house smelled seriously of smoke..no..no..no.

something will pop up.

Claudia..Hope r survives the rendezvous.If pepper does not stop barking, m will kill her. Lol

one of syds dance friends had her 2 dogs die. The 8 year old pug was attacked and killed by the year old German Shepherd.of course, that dg had to be put down. Very sad.

stay cool.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon -- hope R is okay, Claudia.  It is very sad that you have so little contact with your grandchildren.  I am afraid it is more common than one might expect.  It was pretty warm there yesterday.  It is warm here, but considerably cooler than in your area, Barbara.  

That is very sad about Syd's friend's dogs.  Pretty gruesome as well.

I was thinking about the townhouse idea.  Around here, "townhouses" are usually just one story attached houses.  Some very small, and others fairly large.  When I think of townhouses, I think of stairs.  While I would probably be okay at this point, I would not want to chance going up and down a lot of stairs when I get older.  Of course, M is young, but I was thinking of you and V.  If you will be staying there, it would be good if the stairs were not too steep.

My Dad, and all of my Uncles (Dad's three brothers and Mom's two brothers) plus my Aunt (Dad's sister was a nurse in the Army) were in WWII, and my brother was in Vietnam.  But, only one Uncle died in battle -- Iwo Jima.  He is one of those buried at Arlington Cemetery.  By the time my Aunt died in the mid-1980's, Arlington was starting to run out of space for non-combat dead, and she didn't want to be put in the columbarium.  So she is buried in Quantico National Cemetery (VA).  

Hope M is able to find a suitable house -- sounds like a difficult task.  I'm sure something will pop up as you said.

Much to my surprise, my oldest DGS is at the beach in North Carolina with his fiance/wife's family.  The weather isn't nice (chilly, etc.), and his MIL hates the house that she rented.  DD came up with some ideas to keep them busy (including her sister's kids), but who knows.

I forgot to mention that DH's friend called the other night.  He said that he probably won't go overseas again since he can't stand the thought of wearing a mask, etc. for many hours.  He went to the Middle East early this year, and it was quite a long flight.

Of course, that could change if masks aren't required any more.  But, that probably won't be for a while.  He owns several rental houses, and he said so far his tenants are paying their rent with no problem.  He also owns a condo on the beach (Ocean City, Maryland), and he said he can't imagine how they will handle all the restrictions, etc.  Even the elevators might be an issue since it is over 20 stories high.

Our very local paper had a picture of people lining up to go into Ross that was just re-opening.  There were about 100 people in line -- no social distancing and only 20 percent or so wore masks.  I definitely will not be chancing it.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Wearing a mask for many hours would keep me from flying too, Linda. It certainly wouldn't be good for R with his copd.

Eldest gs being at the beach with his fiancee/wife and her family certainly is a surprise, Linda.

I picked R up about noon. His back is bothering him. The rendezvous had around 40 attendees. Some were to come from Philly but cancelled feeling it was too risky. Tippy was delighted her person came home.

My maternal grandfather was in WW 1. Dad was WW2 but never went overseas. He spent time with the RAF in Canada plus time at MIT. Mother was in NYC doing nurses training at Bellevue. R of course was in Vietnam and later did embassy duty in Tehran. I know his father was in WW2. Then of course there's Adam and Whitney.

The small town east of us that hosts Art in the Wilds (cancelled this year) held a socially distanced Memorial Day parade put on by their VFW.

I was surprised to learn R's buddy who died had 3 tours in Vietnam. His younger brother had followed him into the Marines and he did it to keep him out of Vietnam.

The dogs got me up early this morning. Tomorrow R morning R has a telephone appointment with the VA podiatrist. Our 45th anniversary but we won't be going anywhere unless we get a couple of slices of pie as a takeout from the Plaza.

The right house will come along for M hopefully soon, Barbara. It sounds like a market where you can't hesitate once you find what you want.

We had a hot day here. It was over 90° this afternoon.

Respected Contributor

100° on the back porch at 4pm. I did clear the weeds growing between our back fence and the not so great chain link that was the boundary marker.  Some were knee high.

I picked up takeout from the Plaza for dinner tonight and of course included pie.

Respected Contributor

the day has slipped away. We have been on the phone with our agent about the repairs required to pass in spection. The radon test was not good so we have to have it mitigated . It is pricey..around $1500. They want a home warranty for a year and the egress 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕕𝕠𝕨 well replaced. That is also costly. So we are going to try to negotiate something. I figured it was going to be costly and I was correct.yikes

it is hot here ..the same as you, Claudia. It will be 111 by Friday. Hope r has recovered. 

Linda, what a surprise that dgs went to the beach with her family. I hope you had a nice visit with your friend today,

our church sent out a survey about what people want to be able to resume services on a limited basis.

enjoy your evening. 😎😎

Respected Contributor

As I recall the radon mitigation cost for mother's house was quoted at $2000. Eileen handled the finances and the cost was knocked off the sale price of the house after negotiation. This was around 2008-09.