Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of December 13

Yikes on the SUV heater not working, Barbara. That's a necessity where you are. I'm glad the SUV is in good shape otherwise.

I got the last few cards mailed plus the cards with checks to Adam, Mike, Jamie, and Whitney. I hope Adam's birthday card gets there by the 25th. I thought 10 days should be enough. Now I'm not so sure.

I need to venture back down cellar. I washed the upstairs bathroom rugs and need to take them back upstairs.

R put our ceiling fans up, Linda dome years ago. When they need replaced I'm not sure he'll be able to do that. Of course I don't tell him that.

There seems no rhyme nor reason to how long it takes items to ship. Sometimes the closest ones geographically take the longest.

Have a good evening everyone.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon. M had to have a garage door opener system replaced. She has 2 doors for 3 garages . The main door has been opening at random times..so the code was changed on that.

and the Prius needs some work..it has 165000 miles on it and we would like to keep it for a while longer. Plus we have to drive from here to Az. Arghhh

Linda..I have yeast packsge greatly delayed from qvc. I also discovered that I was missing a jjill package so got that refunded.hope yiur dd doesn't get too much snow..they don't handle it as well as we do here. COVID is crazy in Az.it is better here. Good to hear Bev is recovering from her little surgery.

clauda..I haven't heard the term down cellar used for years..my grandmother used to say that. It has taken v a while to admit that he can't do certain things anymore.

My jointscare on fire today. 🔥🔥

enjoy 

Esteemed Contributor

I sure hope 10 days is enough time for the cards to arrive,Claudia.  But, I'm just not sure about deliveries these days.  As I mentioned on the other thread, DD still hasn't received her ATM card for our joint account.  Supposedly, it was mailed quite a while ago.  Certainly hope it isn't lost in the mail.

Sorry about your joints are bothering you today, Barbara.  What a shame about the garage door openers and the Prius need repair.  I think it has been an expensive year for all of us in terms of house and car repairs.  

I am definitely not a fan of driving on snow and ice (or good at it), so I can't dispute what you said about people in Maryland not being good snow drivers.  In addition, there is often ice under or over the snow plus the road crews don't do a good job.  Fingers crossed DD and family don't have any problems with the now.

My SIL sent an e-mail saying she is home today with a bad migraine.  Things are terrible at her work -- many of the staff members are out, and she has had to work extra hours in full protective gear.which is uncomfortable.  They have lost 11 patients in her wing alone.  And, she has to work Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Her DIL's family usually invites her for Christmas dinner, but not this year.  She is understandably feeling bad about the holidays.  Her nephew's widow is going to the dinner, and she will take my SIL's gifts there.

It warmed up this afternoon, so my walk was nice.  They are still working on the curbs.  Wonder how much longer that will take.  

I'm sure it is difficult for V and R to accept that they can no longer do all the things they used to do.  But, it is a fact of life.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Old houses like ours (1920), you go "down cellar". Low ceilings that even i can reach. Newer houses have basements that can be finished into roomsLol.

The snow started shortly after lunch. I reluctantly went out for bread and the cornmeal R wanted. Fingers crossed the roads are good enough for Tippy's grooming appointment tomorrow.

Just saw on FB that the county coroner reports 21 Covid deaths so far this month. Last Thursday through Monday they were doing drive through testing on the state hospital grounds. Most of those results are pending.

Linda, I hope your DD's ATM card arrives soon.R's always arrived quickly.

It's going to be a tough holiday for your sil. Especially with her job being so difficult now.

Barbara, sometimes it seems like things go wrong one after another and always at the worst times. I hope your joints feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

Good afternooon..I am listening to school with Syd. Her chemistry teacher eaves a lot to be desired...it s honors and I am not impressed.  But I know distance learning is very difficult. V3 shares his struggles.

the cold is affecting me in not a good way. I am going to use the heated throw in a bit.

Linda.I read on the other thread about yiur I've of fruitcake. I may have mentioned this alreadythat my mom are fruitcake every year.she would make it in November,then wrap it in a rum soaked kitchen towel , put it in a tin and place it in the attic to marinate. I only liked tiny bites. 

I am making progress on my plastic bag mat for the homeless.

Claudia..hope tye roads are not too bad. My brother in Greenwich lost power but he has a generator. My grandmothers house was built in 1904 and the cellar had very low ceilings ,

enjoy thecrest of yourvday.🎄🎄

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Hope you were able to get Tippy to the groomer, Claudia.  Some of the snow pictures and reports have been unbelievable.  I couldn't figure out how to watch the weather channel, but found that it was available through Roku. So, I saw quite a few pictures.

DGS' wife posted a picture of their tiny dog outdoors.  The snow was taller than him, which isn't difficult.  Poor little guy.  The ceilings in this house are not tall, but not low enough for me to reach without a ladder.  I like the light you get with high ceilings, but don't want to have to pay for heating or cooling them.

Sorry you aren't impressed with Syd's chemistry teacher, Barbara.  Chemistry was the most difficult class I had in high school, and I didn't take it in college as a result.  But, I know a couple of my grands took honors chemistry and math, another difficult subject for me.

I normally make my fruitcake around Thanksgiving, and put it aside like your Mom.  But, I pour the rum right on it.  I used to use brandy, but decided rum would do and was less expensive.

Sorry the cold is bothering you.  I find some aches come out when it is colder.  Another reason to live in a hot climate.

I'm waiting for the volunteer coordinator to call me about the supply delivery.  Hope there isn't a hang-up of some sort.  I think we won't be doing any deliveries next week, but maybe the following Monday.  

I needed to get some cash to pay the handyman next week (I like to pay cash, if possible), and found the other branch of the bank (Bank of America) was closed -- probably due to COVID.  Fortunately, I was able to use their ATM.   But, they had a sign that the branch I used to use is now open (it was closed for at least two weeks). I don't think it is too safe to work in a bank these days.  Yikes!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S.  DD was upset because the teacher called off their class yesterday evening.  It was snowing, but it was on-line.  And, DD didn't get her questions answered.  She is waiting to hear via e-mail.  

Respected Contributor

Compared to some places we did not get a huge amount of snow. Still it was enough to reschedule Tippy's grooming appointment to next Tuesday. Monday Merry and Pippin have shot updates scheduled. I hope I can corral at least one.

I shoveled out the end of the driveway and front steps after R was able to use the snowblower for the sidewalk. The dogs enjoyed the snow. Linda, I bet DGS and wife's dog was not pleased. I've heard of people putting down a square of wood then lifting it when their dog went out so it would have a grassy place to go.

The VA called today. They finally got results of R's imex with exercise test for his legs from 11/25. The test showed vascular disease and he's being referred to a vascular surgeon. R felt it was bad news. I told him it was good imo. If results had been normal he'd still be saying "but there's a problem". Now they've found it. I'm glad his VA doctor ordered this additional test after the first test which didn't include exercise came back normal.

Math and chemistry were not for me. Give me history and English (asking as I didn't have to diagram sentences). Linda, I'm glad you got all your preferred OLLI classes.

Barbara, that's great your rug for the homeless is progressing. A generator is on our list after the porches and roof get done.

Respected Contributor

it is another gray day..very typical of this area in December. I am very unmotivated today and that is fine.

poor Sydnie s going to have online school for the entire year. They are opening elementary school starting in Ja uary. She is looking at taking classes at the university of Minnesota next year. The pseo program allows certain students to do that at no charge. She could get her Girst year of college out of the way.

linda..hope dd got her class figured out. When the snow is deep here, Pepper can disappear. Lol.the wreath I bought from molly looks so pretty on the front door here.

Claudia..glad they figured out rs leg problem. V has vascular issues in both legs. It would help if he would walk but he doesn't do that. Good luck in getting the kitties loaded up. Glad you did not get a ton of snow.

have a great day.🎄🎄❄️❄️

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening! Hope R can get some help with his vascular disease, Claudia.  The first doctor I went to for my varicose veins was a vascular surgeon.  He sure had a lot of patients.  The doctor who actually did the work had been a vascular surgeon, but developed health issues and specializes in varicose veins, etc., now. 

I pushed DD about the ATM card, and she contacted the bank.  They have no idea where the card went, so they are canceling it, and sending her a new one.  She still has not heard from the teacher and is upset about it.

Sorry your weather isn't great today, Barbara.  Also sorry about Syd, but hopefully she can take the college classes for free and get credit.  That sounds great.  Glad you like the wreath so much.  I like mine as well.  I have asked her to make a centerpiece for my table (not holiday), and yesterday she said she would be working on it.  No word today.

I hope I am not overdoing it with OLLI classes.  But, I certainly want to have something to keep my mind going while I need to stay at home most of the time.  I was surprised that the hospice volunteer coordinator's two daughters are coming to visit for the holidays.  He may not be elderly or have a pre-existing condition, but that sounds dicey to me.

As you may see on the other thread, my 101-year old patient passed away yesterday morning.  

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I'm sure Syd is disappointed about online school the remainder of the school year. It would be great if she could get a year of college under that program. There was something similar here but I don't know if it's still available or the cost.

From what I've heard Jamie is disappointed appointed with school being online. He was home schooled through grade 10 and enjoying school. This year he is a senior and of course all was cancelled including a major role in Fiddler on the Roof. If you need a giggle autocorrect changed it to Toddler on the Roof. Smh. Glad I caught it.

R had his acupuncture today. Good thing as he won't be able to have it the following 2 Fridays.

Linda, I bet your DD is unhappy at no response from the instructor. Its a good thing you gave her the little push to call about the ATM card and a new one is being issued. Sorry your hospice patient passed. 101 years is a good long time.