Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of December 13

I am trying to make soup on ms very hot stove...it is electric and hard to get a goodcsetting to simmer for a long time. I finally moved the big pot to a smaller burner and it seems to be working. I have trouble with electric stoves.. lol

i am glad we chose last weekend to travel, there is a winter storm in Oklahoma on the route we took.

nothing else new...I am awaiting the end of the week so we can quit wearing masks in the house. 

Stay safe..the numbers in Az are terrible. 🎄🎄

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of December 13

Good Afternoon!  It took me a while to figure out how to use an electric stove, Barbara.  And, I ended up buying a new one since the one here was just a cooktop with the old-fashioned coiled burners.  Yikes.  After many years, I am finally able to figure things out, but still have trouble sometimes with things getting too hot and sticking.

I bet you will be happy to be mask-free in the house.  I'm sure that I would have trouble with doing so.  Even when it is just while handymen or other workers are here, I can't wait until they leave and I can take off my mask.

You certainly lucked out with the travel.  I know you can drive in the snow, but ice can be a problem for any driver.

You are correct about the numbers in Arizona.  In our local HOA newsletter (I think) they said that we have a voluntary curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.  While very few go out late, there are many "early birds" in the morning.  Not me when it is dark out, so I am okay.

As you may have read on the other thread, I had a problem with the light fixture part of my ceiling fan in the living room, so I plan to call my handyman tomorrow.  Really hope he can come soon.

Waiting in the car while a loved one is having medical appointments/treatment is a way of life these days.  Glad you were able to go to the store, and didn't have to wait as long as some other times, Claudia.  I wonder about your neighbor.  Ambulances have come for my across the street neighbor (husband) several times, and I'm always a bit worried.  I don't know what his problem is, but at least he is getting care.  

But, I was reading in the local paper that half or more of the people who are in accidents, have heart attacks, etc. are routed to hospitals out of the area now since ICUs are pretty filled up, and there is a lack of staff.  What a horrible time for the virus to "spike".  

Nothing exciting going on here.  My neighbor suggested looking into Tai Chi in place of yoga, but there are no OLLI classes in it this "semester".  I may check it out on-line since I know there are lots of free classes.  

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice Sunday and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of December 13

Our previous house had an electric stove and I never liked it, Barbara. I know you'll be very happy to not wear the face masks in the house.

Linda, I'm very cautious changing bulbs in ceiling fixtures. Better to call your handyman.

I expected to have to wait in the car yesterday but R was surprised I had to. I'm just glad it wasn't terribly cold and the wait wasn't 4-5 hours.

The prescription cream seems to be helping R's back pain.

It's been a pretty quiet day here. Outside its cold and dreary. I must admit I've only done what had to be done.

Have a good evening and sleep well.

Occasional Contributor

We are building a house in a 55+ active living community in Tucson. We paid extra to have a gas stove, because I don't like cooking on an electric stove either.  I live in Austin, TX presently.  I hope when we move the end of April to Tuscon people have been able to take the vaccine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hope so as well, JADIVA.  Also hope you like living in Tucson.  

Respected Contributor

it is a chilly afternoon..I had to get my port flushed this morning and I felt the cold.  That was my excitement for the day..pretty pathetic.😝

Linda, you are good to send out cards..I have not for many years.  I am going to do a grocery pickup order later in the week. It looks like Claudia's area is going to get hit with snow. I think you might like tai chi..I have done it in the past and it is very relaxing. 

Claudia..I would guess that you are getting some weather this morning. stay warm

Syd just received another college inquiry and she wants to talk to me about it.

Happy Day ❄️❄️

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you got cold today, Barbara.  Good that you got your port flushed.  I really like receiving cards so sending them is a natural.  Today I received a card from my SIL with a little card (size of a prayer card) about her son (my nephew).  It was a beautiful sentiment.

Good for Syd.  I hope that she finds a college that is a good fit.  

One of my neighbors had put out some Meyers lemons and small grapefruit in bags for the taking, and I took both.  Sometimes the grapefruit is very tart, but I can always juice them.  It is very nice of her to do.

Much to my surprise, I received a Christmas card from the husband of a lady who was in DH's facility.  He was there all the time, and ate many of his meals there when DH was alive.  We were never very close, and his wife was out-of-control with dementia.  But, he sent a card when DH died.  His wife passed away in August.  

Glad R is doing a little better, Claudia (at least the cream helped), and I hope things are okay today.  Also hope the storm isn't too bad in your area.  I imagine things may be dicey in New Hampshire.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I imagine you felt chilled today, Barbara. Take it easy.  Time goes by quickly. Its hard to think Sydnie is now of an age to look at colleges.

It's been a cold blustery day here but little snow I hope Thursday stays clear for Tippy's trip to the groomer. 

It looks like the coastal areas will get the worst of the storm.

Like Linda I still send cards. Actually I've sent a few more this year than past years. I think they help bolster peoples spirits. I only have a few decorations up though. I've been pacing myself and trying not to do too much. Walk up attic, 2 floors, plus laundry in the basement is sometimes a bit much.

I had to pick up milk today besides mailing several cards. I really have to sit down, make a list, and see about doing store pickup.

It seems any time I plan to take it easy I end up doing more. However everything got done that needed done. Little Nugget is quite the lap cat. He loves being held. Widget though prefers to lay by my feet. I wish I dared give Nugget the run of the upstairs.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon. The heater went out on the suv here and it is quite $$ to fix, but the car is in good shape so it will get fixed. Merry Christmas.

it looks like I hit the italics button arghhh

it is chilly again but will warm up later in the week. 

Sydnie is keeping me entertained with online schooling. Her cooking teacher is quite entertaining. 

Linda read about the replacements that need to be done. There always seems to be something...My last rider from q has been very delayed, so back it will go. If I find something that I might be interested I go check at Amazon. 

Pepper got groomed and lost 3 ounces...that is shaggy she was..lol

Claudia..good idea not to overdo on the decorations. Hope tye weather holds for yiur grooming trip. 

enjoy the rest of the day.🥶🥶🎄

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Even when I write things down, I still forget them, Claudia.  Trying not to do too much negative self talk about such mistakes. 

I hope you don't have problems on Thursday, and the storm doesn't affect your area too much.  Like you, I sent out a few more cards this year.  I just read an article that the Post Office is way, way behind, and they don't expect anything to improve before the end of the year.  I guess that explains why my DGS didn't receive his birthday card.  

Sorry about your heater, Barbara.  My AC and your heater -- yikes!  I  plan to cut way back on Q purchases, but the TSV is a wonderful deal.  Plus, I don't need it urgently.  I ordered two pairs of PJ's for DD, and she received one yesterday.  It came from CA.  The other pair (ordered the same day) is coming from PA, and is stuck there.  

I'll be happy to have the new fan/light, but I am not happy with having to spend the money on it.  I was hoping it might just be a lightbulb problem or at least just a light problem.  But, the handyman could not just get a new light since the fan is connected.

That is funny about Pepper's weight loss due to grooming.  

I haven't accomplished much today, but I plan to take my walk shortly and do my exercise DVD later.  It seems i used to be able to accomplish so much more than I do now.  Oh well.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda