Super Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of August 6

chprsp.... I went to the Cheshire Cheese one time but I didn't care to much for it. It sure seemed like a rabbit warren with all those rooms!  My favorite pub is Ye Olde Mitre in Holborn off of Ely Court. Supposedly dates back to 1546!  Henry VIII got married one time at St. Ethelredas which is next door. To get to the Mitre you have to go down this alley which is pretty well hidden....I ended up circling quite awhile before I found it!

I also like to have breakfast at St Martins in the Fields at Trafalgar Square. They have a great cafe in the crypt. Very well located to catch different buses

Also like to do breakfast at The Attendant in Fitzrovia. It is in a re-done Victorian gentleman's Loo!  Very small, good food and you get to sit at a counter made over the old urinals! Can't beat that for different!

Last trip over in December I attended a Carol Service at St Paul's. You can get in free but no looking around!  While waiting in the lonnng line to get in on a Saturday evening there was a pub crawl group that went by all dressed up as Santas! Must have been hundreds of them!  They were banging drums and hollering like mad men ....and some women!  Got to LOVE London! I so want to go back next spring!

Hope everyone is feeling better and all sleep well!

Super Contributor

Forgot...also went to the Sherlock Holmes Pub a couple times touristy but fun, Another fun pub was the Hung Drawn and Quartered great steak and kidney pie typical pub grub but fun, I know it sounds like all I do in London is haunt the pubs! Sort of true but they are such fun! Also could go on and on about different tea rooms but another time!

Oh I forgot the Black Friar loved that!

Esteemed Contributor

All this London talk is very interesting.  I will need to check back with you ladies when/if I take a trip there.  

What a lot of rain you had chessielady.  I like model trains very much, and my ex actually gave me a train set one Christmas.  I think I had been talking about how I never got a train since when I was growing up, that was a boy gift.  The husband of one of my friends has quite a set-up in their extra garage.

Sorry you are not feeling that great, Barbara.  I sure wouldn't have been happy with all that noise at night, but at least it was taken care of quickly.  Hope the weather cooperates a little better, and you feel better.  That humidity can be very rough.

I am so sorry you are having so much pain, Claudia.  Good that you have the walker, and the grocery has the motorized carts you can use.  I am not sure I would know how to use one, and I'd hate to be one of those out of control seniors running into people with the carts.  I'm sure you are much better at it than me.

The senior lunch program went pretty well today, and we celebrated the director's daughter's first birthday.  It was nice, and the little girl cooperated.  I found out that one of the seniors passed away last weekend -- he was a WWII vet and a jokester.  I knew he was failing, but I had not seen him for a while.

DH was in bed when I went today, but he was wide awake.  So, I asked the caregivers to get him up.  He was in pretty good shape -- better than yesterday for sure.  I am concerned that they are leaving him in bed too much, so I'll probably talk to the had caregiver and/or the hospice nurse to raise the issue.  The lady who had the breakdown was bound and determined she was leaving this afternoon, and she and another lady were trying to get out the door.  Hope she isn't going off again.

There is a consignment store in the same complex of the senior lunch program, and I go there often when I get there early.  Today I found a nice small bookcase and purchased it.  I could not pick it up today, but I plan to do so tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, it will fit in the car okay.  I also have my audiologist appointment tomorrow.  Not enthused about the hearing aids, but......

Hope everyone sleeps well, and Barbara and Claudia feel better.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Congratulations on finding the bookcase, Linda. Those can be difficult to find in good shape. Fingers crossed it fits in your car. When we went to the Cheshire Cheese we stayed in the chop house and didn't investigate the various bars. That Was In 04. Quite a change when we went last year and not for the better. I will keep those pubs in mind in case we are able to go again, Chessielady. I remember in Liverpool being shown pink marble urinals in a restroom of a pub. I am still moving slow. It wasn't the best idea to mow out back yesterday. Got 3/4 mowed before the battery ran out because I had to move so slow. The grass grows so fast there it had to be done whether I felt like it or not. Hope to finish this afternoon. Over the years the train set we had when I was a child disappeared. Christmas time there is a Christmas walk and model train set ups. They used to be at the library but last year were in private homes.I Linda, I have not used the motorized carts since I shattered my femur so have to figure it out all over again. A good idea to talk to the nurse or caregiver about an being in bed so much. Barbara, I hope your weather is better. I'm sure Sydnie is having a good time. Silly Griff is sleeping upside down in his crate.
Respected Contributor

Darn. My paragraphs disappeared again.

Respected Contributor

We are getting ready to leave...laundry, packing and stuff. It is a rainy day again, so we took syd back to Dave and Busters..a restaurant with lots of arcade type games. She earned enough points to get a nice set of headphones the other day. Today, she earned even more points so I convinced her to take her card home. We have one not too far from our home so m will take her there. 

We we have a new set of noisy neighbors..the walls are very thin compared to other properties in this group...thank good ness we have an end unit. 

Claudia..hopeyou are feeling bettter...I hope your yard is not too big...

Linda...glad you found a bookcase...hope Dh is having a good day.

chessielady...we have done 2 quick trips to London..enjoyed them both but as I said, I much prefer Paris. We are planning a rib per cruise next year.

have a good evening...tomorrow is a travel day, so I may not post.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you have a safe trip home tomorrow, Barbara.  There was a Dave and Busters in Maryland, but I never went in there.  Good for Syd winning lots of points.  Sorry the facility is noisy compared to others, and the weather has been less than ideal most of the time.  

Sorry about the mowing issues, Claudia, and I hope you will feel better soon.  I was watching a program about Diana's death and the aftermath on Netflix last night.  Very interesting.  She died the night after we arrived on our tour (August 1997(, and I remember a very quick tour of the city, including a quick stop at Kensington Palace when people were first starting to bring in flowers, etc.  They pushed on to other parts of the tour, and we came back to London the afternoon of the funeral.  So, despite being right there, I didn't see as much of what went on as others, including my Mom and MIL who saw everything on TV.  They did pipe in radio coverage of the funeral on the bus ride back to London.  

Happy to say the bookcase fit just fine, and I was able to get it out of the car and into the house without damaging it or myself.  Not easy, but okay.   I really like it, and it turns out to be from Denmark.  Much of my furniture in the past came from Denmark, and I like the clean lines and the wood.  Happy camper.  Also happy that the audiologist appointment went better than expected.  She said that my hearing was pretty good at normal conversational level, but it was a good idea to get the aids before things deteriorated.  And, she suggested aids that don't cost all that much more than my insurance will pay (I think $700 or so extra including a special device to use with the telephone).  She was quite nice, and answered all my questions.  I will go back next Wednesday to pick them up.  They may also help with the ringing in my ear.  Very relieved that she seems so knowledgeable and did not "push" something more expensive, etc.  

Army DGS did not get the work study job at the college, and he has decided to quit the surplus store job as of Saturday since they have not kept their promises, and he was concerned about trying to work there and go to school.  He may try for another job, but he already gets some money from the Army, so hopefully will concentrate on school and not sweat the second job too much.

I'll be visiting DH in a little while, and hope for the best.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Hope things are going okay there, Claudia, and you are doing well chessielady.  Also hope your trip home went/is going okay, Barbara.  It is hot and humid here, but it was okay on my walk this morning.  I have also been to the gym.  I'll be visiting DH later, and hopefully the hospice nurse will be there.

DH was wide awake when I arrived yesterday, and he seemed in pretty good shape.  Army DGS applied for regular (not work study) jobs at the college.  Fingers crossed he gets one.  My SIL helped him re-write his resume, which was probably needed.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I've been trying to take it easy. R went with me to pick up the milk and a few groceries. For some reason I'm tired and achy.

I never nap during the day but today feel like I need it. If only the bed wasn't upstairs. Griffyn is being pretty good. He came in without too much fuss.

Have a safe trip home, Barbara.

Linda, I hope you get a chance to talk with the hospice nurse. It sounds like a good idea to update dgd's resume.

It's been nice having several sunny days in a row that haven't been too hot. I hope your weather has improved, chessylady. I do hate cleaning up muddy dogs. Unlike his predecessor, Sam, Griff enjoys the mud.

Respected Contributor

I forgot to mention I did order the ts v solar light set in bronze.

I do hate the autocorrect. I have to constantly check to make sure they didn't change my words.