Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of August 23

I'm glad V is feeling ok after his extraction, Barbara. Such a shame you're having a flare. I ordered an upright walker folding top layer with 10" front wheels for R to use. It should be here Saturday.

No rain here. I thought for sure we would get some. Valet parking is still not available at the VA but I was able to park fairly close. After R's appointment we had lunch at Olive Garden. The tables were distanced and staff wore masks of course. It's hot and humid still.

Linda, hopefully it won't be too.long before you get back.to the gym. It's good the workout shirts are keepers.

I need to make a list of questions for R's surgeon when we see him Thursday.

I hope there's no more changes for 2nd DGS.

Tomorrow should be a fairly quiet day. At least I can hope!

Respected Contributor

good afternoon..it is another heat advisory. By turning the ac up to 78 or higher m saves around 10;dollars ...which adds up. 

I still cannot do too much ..changed the sheets this morning and it took a while to recover...I am going to start a prednisone burst and taper.

Linda..no tsv for me..we have a nice gas grill that works very well. Glad dgs can work out the bloop in moving. I could not believe the interest rate your dgs was looking at...I would call that usury. The people in our community have been reporting several fires in the mountains near us. 
Good luck with your decluttering. I am going to have to do that in Az.

Claudia hope you are having a good day. Rs surgery is coming up quickly. Hope you are having a quiet day.

enjoy..💖💖🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you are having a quiet day as hoped, Claudia.  Glad you are ready with your questions for R's surgeon.  I suspect that gyms will re-open on a limited basis soon, but I am not ready to take the chance.  Plus, I am pretty sure you need to wear a mask which would really bother me.  Better safe than sorry as far as I am concerned.   My Leslie Sansone DVD's are pretty effective in getting sufficient aerobic exercise until I feel comfortable in going back.

Arizona's numbers are much better, but the rate of positive tests is still 11 percent or more.  I think they would have better numbers if they did more tests, but....  Today, I received five plain white cotton masks from the State.  They actually are pretty nice, and they were free for the asking if you are in the vulnerable group, which includes me due to age.

Hope the prednisone works well, Barbara.  I hate to think of you suffering so much.  When they asked us to conserve energy, they said to keep the thermometer at 78 degrees or above.   Not a problem for me, but I am keeping the AC lower since I got my new AC. I figured if I paid that much to have it, I should take advantage.  

That was a crazy high rate of interest, so I am glad DGS and his wife just walked away.  They got a much lower rate (4 percent or so) at the other dealer.  So far, they are loving the new car, and I think it is good that it has four-wheel drive.

As you may have read on the other thread, DD and my SIL are getting a new dog from the breeder.  I am waiting to see her picture, but she is very close in age to their other dog, and her mother is their dog's Aunt.  

My DGS and his wife have decided to live in New Hampshire (Manchester) rather than Massachusetts since the apartment rents are about the same.  They cannot live in the neighborhood near his store because it is a higher priced area.  DD said they are coming over tomorrow evening to say their formal goodbyes since they are leaving on Friday. 

It is very quiet here -- hot and grey.  It looks like rain, but may just be the haze from the smoke.  The past few days on my walk the sun has come up a bright pink color which I understand is from the haze.  

Hope both of you and your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

4 wheel drive is a good choice given New England winters,Linda. If they live in town it might not be needed.

The new pup sounds like a good choice. I'm sure she'll be spoiled.

I'm glad AZ's numbers are improving.

I picked up pet beds at Aldi's today. I use them for the cats. These are rectangular and the covers zip off for cleaning. Much easier than the traditional cat beds plus it's orthopedic foam. One will fit quite well on the cedar chest by the window. I already have one in the cubby partway up the stairs.

We may get some stormy weather tomorrow with a possible tornado near evening. Hopefully we won't lose power. I plan to move outdoor plants and chairs just in case.

Fingers crossed the prednisone works well, Barbara. 78° would be a problem for me. I keep ours at 74-75°.

Hurricane Aura seems to be a monster of a storm. I saw a photo of cattle being evacuated down a highway

Respected Contributor

good afternoon..I think I am suffering from serious boredom..lol. The activities I would normally do here are not happening.and it is not going to be any better in Az.

i am not complaining..every one I know is in the same situation.

syd is very worried about going back to school. The district is requiring masks but if you claim you have a medical condition that prohibits you, you do not have to wear one.2 of her dance friends have parents who are anti masks and they are crowing that their kids are not wearing masks.i really think there are a lot of stupid people in this country.

Linda and claudia, how is today ??

i am not replete with anything to post.

🧐🧐

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Another hot day here, but it was okay on my early morning walk.

The new puppy is being spoiled already, Claudia.  They named her Georgia Ray (after my Aunt), and she will be called her nickname -- Joy.  The vet gave her shots, etc., and she will be "fixed" in a week or two when the vet has time. She needs to be groomed, but DD will have that done at the end of September when their other dog is scheduled for grooming.  Definitely a cutie, and my SIL is her "person".  Originally, their other dog was supposed to be his, but he fell in love with my DGD.

Hope you didn't have bad storms or power outages, Claudia.  

You are right, many of us are pretty bored, Barbara.  Today I went grocery shopping which is certainly one of the highlights of my week.  The volunteer hospice coordinator e-mailed to say that he will not be there tomorrow (they are moving into their house), but the letters will be ready, and there are more this week, which is a good thing.  I also received information from my Anglo Saxon history teacher -- tomorrow is our last class.

I couldn't sleep well last night, so I'm a bit tired today.  I decided to see if I could have my eye doctor appointment sooner than scheduled since I need to have her sign for me to get my driver's license.  There was only one week between my appointment and birthday, and I understand that the motor vehicle administration is not seeing many people.  Long story short, I will now be going at the end of October rather than the end of November.  It is amazing that something like that could keep me up at night.  

Really hope things will be okay at Syd's school, Barbara.  I don't enjoy wearing a mask, but I certainly do so when I am out in public (other than on my walks).  I do carry a mask on my walk, but I always move far away from other walkers.

DD tells me that youngest DGS has decided to stay with his job (where he works part-time) even after he graduates this Fall.  It is an okay job, and close to where they live.  They really like his work, and told him that if he does stay and work full-time, he can help hire a person to do his lesser jobs and concentrate on more complicated things.  

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We thought R's presurgery appointment with the surgeon wouldn't take long. What we didn't count on was necessary lab work plus ekg. Since the doctor's office is in the hospital it made sense to get it all done while we were there. The wait for lab work was the longest. Neither of us had had breakfast so we ended up having brunch at Bob Evans.

Once home I had to call and change R's appointment for the imex test with exercise to later due to the hip replacement.  9 days after the hip replacement wasn't a good idea.

Mid afternoon the storm arrived. The wind came from an unexpected direction. I was out front feeding the Gerald and they scattered and ran. Medium size branches were flying. As I struggled up the steps I was a bit worried the tree or part of it might come down but it didn't. I could imagine the headline - cat lady taken out by tree while feeding feral cats. Mother always said I had a good imagination.

Trees down plus power outages but nothing like Louisiana and Texas. Middle school football practice a few blocks away had a suspected tornado but there were no injuries. Lots of trees down within just a block of two of our house. The county north of us over the NY line also had lots of damage.

It's nice the new dog picked your sil as "her person", Linda. I am constantly amazed at the trivial worries that keep me awake at night especially nights when I am exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep. Wish I could shut my brain down at night sometimes.

Fingers crossed for Sydnie and her school, Barbara. I hear the NY county just north of us has 35 new virus cases.

R has a shoot both Saturday and plus he wants to test fire tomorrow. I told him he has to pace himself. Last time they had a 2 day shoot he couldn't do the second day. His main priority has to be keeping healthy for the surgery.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon. We had some hefty storms last night the temperature is much more comfortable today, even though v thinks it is still humid.

Syd drove me to target to get a couple of prescriptions..she does a good job.otherwise my day has been very non interesting.

Linda..that new little dog your dd got sounds adorable. It sounds as if youngest dgs has a good thing going with his job.People are still complaining about a lot of the restrictions in our community. I stay out of all of it. I would not go to any gyms for quite a while.

Claudia..hope r is careful on his shoot this weekend. Glad your storms were not too bad.

that hurricane was awful..so much damage.I think school is going to be dicey. It's too bad because I believe that the pandemic was not considered as serious as it has turned out to be.

enjoy the rest of your day.🤓🤓

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad no limbs hit you, Claudia.  That was certainly a long pre-surgery visit, but I am sure it made sense to take care of it when you were at the hospital.  Good idea to have other appointments moved.  Hope R doesn't do too much this weekend.

DD heard from the vet that the new puppy has both giardia (not a surprise), and some sort of infection.  So, she had to pick up medication and re-schedule the spaying appointment.  She isn't eating much, which the vet thinks may be due to the combined problems.  Still adorable and sweet. 

Glad your weather is better, Barbara.  Also glad the storms didn't do too much damage and Syd was able to drive you to pick-up your prescriptions.

It really looks like it will rain here, but that isn't supposed to happen until tomorrow.  It is quite hot, and I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures and rain.  Hopefully, not damaging storms, but rain.

There are quite a few people here that want refunds due to the closed and limited recreation facilities, but apparently that isn't going to happen.  Some people are just unwilling to accept that these are not normal times.

DD said that oldest DGS and his wife are back to considering places in MA since those in New Hampshire are quite expensive and small.  Hope that works out for them.  He really doesn't want to move, but this is the only way to advance in the company, which he wants to do.

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

R was going to test fire this afternoon until he remembered he is not to do any heavy lifting for 24 hours after the pins are put in. He still plans on tomorrow's shoot though.

It is raining again. Outlying areas are still dealing with power outages. It's particularly difficult for those relying on well water as without electric the pump won't work.

I guess my imagination wasn't that out of line. Within a half mile of us a 40 year old man was killed by part of a falling tree. Such a shame.

The wind happened so suddenly. One minute there were cats by my feet waiting for dinner. The next moment they were racing for shelter and I was trying to get up the steps.

When I drove out to pick milk up I saw lots of trees and parts of trees being cut up.

It's a good idea for your DGS and his wife to keep options open as far as housing goes. Also they should check out tax rates in the states.

When my brother relocated from Albany, NY to Nashville, TN he gained $4000 in income due to the difference in taxes and that was 19 years ago.Since it's New England there may not be much difference.

I hope the new dog quickly feels better. It will probably take her some time to adjust to her new home.

Barbara, it certainly is helpful that Syd can drive you places. I'm glad you did not have much storm damage.