Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of August 19

Good morning..we are heading out the door soon to start our adventure. Sydnie is pretty excited.

Linda..that is nice his dd is having a remenbrance for Dh. 

Claudia..have a good day...

🛫🛫

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of August 19

Good Afternoon!  I'm sure Syd is excited, Barbara.  Hope all goes well, and she enjoys her time there.

I'm back from church and the gym -- both went okay.  "My" gym is closing for two weeks or so starting tomorrow (they do maintenance over the summer), so I'll have to get used to my second choice for a while.  DH's son called me, and we just chatted a bit about my plans to see the financial guy and lawyer.  The two of them (his son and daughter) will probably need to make some decisions about his estate, and I want to make sure that I can convey their options and the implications (taxes, etc.)  Meanwhile, I need to consider what I should do about withholding, etc. since I know that single taxpayers pay more than joint.  

While I cannot make it to the remembrance, I am thinking about sending a letter that she could chose to read or not.  But, it will take a lot for me to write down my feelings, maybe too much at this time.

It is hot here (may make it to 100 degrees or more today and tomorrow), but that is pretty normal for this area.

Hope all is well Claudia, and both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Such an exciting time for Sydnie and you, Barbara. I hope there were no flight delays.

Linda, I'm glad you and DH's son were able to have a talk. Lots of decisions to be made. I imagine it would be very difficult to set down your feelings right now. You are in my thoughts.

It's overcast here. I'm not sure if we'll get rain tonight. The garbage is already out front so that's done. Suitcases are up in the attic. R is having trouble with the tv and the cable tv remotes and is not happy in the least. I changed the batteries but am giving him time to cool down. He is planning on a muzzleloader shoot next Sunday plus spending the day at a rendezvous the following weekend.  Hopefully he'll have his cast off by then.

Respected Contributor

We have safely arrived,,checked into our hotel. The worst part os the trip was getting the rental car...I had to call to get a bus to pick us up after waiting for close to an hour. Yikes..I am going to go back to Hertz..

traffic was was exactly what I expected..like Phoenix.

Sleep tight.

Respected Contributor

Barbara, glad you've arrived. What a shame about the rental car. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  R is something else, Claudia.  I hope he is able to handle all his planned activities.  Also hope you were able to figure out the remotes.  The stories some of the ladies tell in my caregivers group about their husbands and things like remotes really leave me shaking my head.  Some of these guys were engineers and/or very handy guys, but they just can't remember how to do things and get extremely frustrated.  Hope you and your furbabies are doing okay.

What a shame about the rental car, Barbara.  Will you be using the same rental car the whole time you are there?  One time when we were out here for a month, DH was in an accident with the rental car.  Things got pretty complicated with the insurance as I remember.  The credit card was supposed to cover it, but the car rental was too long as I remember it.  

That was a cute picture of Syd on FB.

It is pretty hot here, but I managed to get my walk in okay, and then go to "strong bones".  When I got home, I got a call from the funeral home that DH's ashes and death certificates were ready.  I called the handyman, and he was having trouble with the truck he borrowed, so we changed the screen door installation to Wednesday.  Then I figured out Uber and took my first drive.  It was not inexpensive, but a very pleasant experience.  The driver was an older guy (not as old as me, but....) who moved here to be near his parents.  His Dad passed away at the end of May, so now he likes being close to his Mom.  He said his wife (from southern CA) loves the beach, so he tries to get her back there or to a beach in Mexico about once a month.

Since I was such a novice, he figured out how he could drive me to the funeral home and back, and he just waited outside when I picked up DH ashes and death certificates.  It went very fast, and I decided that Uber or Lyft is the way to go under certain circumstances.

DGD has been offered a new part-time job, and she is thrilled.  She will be working at a cheese shop run by a three women (Mom/Daughter/Grandmother), and they will provide training.  Hope it works out well for her.  I asked, and she does like cheese.  LOL 

Meanwhile, youngest DGS is off to a great start with his computer teacher, and the course he is taking may enable him to be prepared for another certification once he takes the test.  I'm particularly pleased that the professor seems to be so supportive of him, and DGS is so into computer networking.  Meanwhile, Army DGS got information that he will be getting quite a bit of money toward the second half of the semester (quarter, I guess), and he is planning on paying it himself.  Of course, I'm willing, but I think it will make him feel good to pay it himself, if possible.

I was thinking about going to the pool, but it is looking pretty cloudy, so I may just stay at home.  I made yet another banana bread which I'll take to the senior lunch program tomorrow.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

What a sweet photo of Sydnie, Barbara. I hope everything is going well.

Linda, I'm glad Uber worked for you and hope you feel some comfort now that DH is "home".

I hope your DH'S enjoys her new job. It sounds like things are going well for DD and family.

The regular remote and the cable remote are still not working for the downstairs tv. There is a local office so we went there this morning. Thursday someone will come out and see if they can straighten it out.

I managed to brush Pippin this morning. It is one contact he enjoys. He was napping on the landing at the top of the stairs when I saw him and reached for the brush. Before I knew it there were Rusty, Spot, Fitz, and Merry wanting their turn.

Respected Contributor

Good morning..we are getting settled into our place. The studio is quite large..and very nice. It is older but it has everything we need and the host is wonderful. I need to do a bit more grocery shopping. There are several nice restaurants within walking distance, Wells Fargo, Starbucks and Walgreens. Traffic is heavy but I have driven in big cities my entire life so,I am ok with it. The phone gps is very needed.

m goes back today..I have a car service picking her up..cheaper than what I use at home.

Linda..I am glad things worked out for you getting to the funeral home. I can understand why it coukd be difficult to write anything at this point...good news for your grandchildren. I hope all of the estate settling goes well.

Claudia..hope you get the electronics figured out. I bet Pippen enjoyed. Being brushed. V said Pepper is doing fine.

we are going to do a Los Angeles tour on Sunday. I have not decide whether to do a private one or with more people and cheaper. 

Have a a great day.🌻🌻🎶🎶

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Glad you are settling in okay, and the place is nice, Barbara.  Hope M's trip home goes okay.   

The remote issue must be pretty serious for them to send someone out to fix it, Claudia.  Hope they don't take too long to fix them  Cute story about Pippen and the others wanting to be brushed.   

I feel like I am making some progress, which is good.  I called the Office of Personnel Management since I had submitted information about DH's death on-line and had not heard back.  All is okay, and they will be sending a packet of information in 5-6 weeks.  Seems like a long time, but at least they will not be sending more money to his account as I feared they might.

His DD called yesterday, and I did not say anything about writing something for her memorial celebration.  Not only would it be difficult for me, I'm not sure if it is appropriate for his family.  I am sharing some memories as things come up, and I know his DD likes knowing these stories.

I did not sleep all that well last night -- woke up about 4:00 a.m. and never got back to sleep.  My car has been dripping -- small, dark brown/black drops -- on the driveway for a few days. Not much or every time.  I decided it was time to get my head out of the sand and call the local dealership.  I'm waiting for a call back -- hope it is nothing serious or time-consuming to fix.  Of course, I also hope that it isn't too expensive.

It rained a little yesterday evening, and it was cooler this morning on my walk.  Felt good.  I have the senior lunch program today, and then I plan to go to the gym.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad you and Sydnie are getting settled. I hope M has a good flight back. 

We've had rain off and on, some of it heavy at times. Earlier there was thunder and the house actually shook. R saw a flash of light. Griff refused to go out in the rain but TT trundled down the steps determined to do what he needed to do.

R is hoping to get the cast off tomorrow. He's still waiting to hear what the VA plans to do about his back pain. He did stop in at the clinic today. Reaching them by phone is almost impossible.

I am hoping the problem with the remotes is an easy fix. R may have made the problem worse trying various things. Fingers crossed its not the tv itself.

It sounds like you're making progress, Linda. I hate those times I wake up middle of the night worrying.

As we've not heard back re: the kitchen it appears we may need to contact the Amish or various contractors. Not looking forward to that.