Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of April 19

A new week starting...I think I am doing enough to keep myself occupied that I am not too bored. 

I just bather Pepper and will try to groom her when she is dry.  The new clippers are a lot sturdier so I hope they do the job. She has twice as much hair as toy schnauzer s usually have so her coat is thick and curly. 

a home, the same model as ours sold yesterday at a price much lower than ours..but it was just the basic home, no updates or additions, an unfinished basement , no deck of landscaping, trees etc. m was a little upset, but after I told all the extras we have, our pricing makes sense. Will see what happens..

i listened to our church service earlier. The soloist was a karaoke wanna be..not good. Usually the soloists are good singers. 

I hope you have productive days,..

💖💖

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week of April 19

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Your comment about the soloist at your church made me smile, Barbara.  The two ladies who are our usual music leaders are excellent.  I didn't realize that they are professional musicians and are used to performing quite a bit in the area and even elsewhere (including outside the U.S.)  They had an article about local performers in the very local newspaper that discussed what has happened with actors, etc.  They had tons of canceled bookings, and now perform on FB -- twice a week.  Apparently you can send a tip by Pay Pal or something similar.

Good luck with Pepper.  Sounds like a challenge to do the grooming, but hopefully the new clippers are up to the task.  

Sorry that M was upset about the similar house selling for such a low price.  I am sure yours is much nicer, and I hope it sells for a good price sooner or later.

Your kitchen counters must be really filling up, Claudia.  I guess I didn't know the bean pot would be keep out, but it does make sense if it is electric.  The one I had many, many years ago, was just like a casserole in the shape of a traditional bean pot.  My DH had zero interest in cooking or other household chores, so he never purchased all sorts of appliances like R does.  He did like and we ordered a toaster oven.  I had not used one before.

My ex was another matter, but I usually tucked away several of  the appliances in the cabinet and just took them out as needed.

It is nice and sunny here, and I plan to take my walk this afternoon.  I woke up with a bit of a headache, but it seems to be gone now.

Hope both of you, your husbands, and furbabies have a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Keep in mind I only have 8' of counter space. There are only 3 base cabinets (not counting the cabinet under the sink) and 3 upper cabinets not counting the small cupboard above the stove. Thank heavens for the tall narrow roll out pantry by the back door. The bean pot is not electric but I have no room in a cupboard for it unless I get rid of something. I no longer bake much so only have a portable Kitchen aid.

The bean pot that was ordered is a 1 gallon pot. I talked R out of the 2 gallon size.

It's sunny and around 62°. I still need to do the backyard cleanup and haul the garbage out front. I am halfway through sorting the last bin of clothes and have been supervised by a "helpful" Maggie Mae. Macaroni salad is cooling in the fridge.

Good luck with a very hairy Pepper, Barbara. M should feel better after realizing there was no comparison between the houses. I hope it sells soon. Has M been able to look at more houses or is that at a standstill for now?

That's interesting information about performers and actors, Linda. I'm glad your headache is gone.

R plans to watch Masterpiece's World on Fire tonight if he remembers. Last week he forgot.

Esteemed Contributor

I am watching that series, Claudia.  It is quite interesting, but I wish it were on earlier in the evening.  Anyway, our public media stations (radio and TV) have a "passport" program for members, and they said you can stream the series (along with many others).  I am a member, but I haven't streamed anything yet.  Really prefer the larger TV screen to the computer or tablet screen.

Interesting about the bean pot.  Sorry about your lack of cabinet space.  Although the house is fairly small, I do have plenty here.  Good thing you have the pantry.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..itis getting warmer..we just took the recycle stuff out and I got hot.i am going to have to rethink when I take Pepper out now that the heat will be here tomorrow. 

I have little ambition today..I discovered that I can use voice text in a google doc and the transport it to a pdffile for my memoir. That is going to prove much easier to do...plus everyone will be able to read it.

Linda..hope you are having a good day. I am worried about states reopening too early and causing a new wave of cases. Did I tell you that my dil is head accountant for the University of North Dakota payroll dept.She is working on her cpa.

Claudia..you have a lot of stuff for your limited counter space. Yikes. I could not imagine a 2 gallon bean pot...

m successfully sent us 2 packs of Clorox wipes.  Ice person most of the time.

if my knee behaves, I am going to try my baseboard mop. Whoopee.

🌹🌹🐸

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  It is starting to get hotter here, Barbara.  They are predicting a string of 90 degree high temperatures starting on Thursday.  Like you, I am re-thinking some of my current outdoor activities.  In the summer, I usually take a walk right after I get up -- no breakfast, etc. to avoid the heat.  The start times get earlier an earlier.  So far, I have been walking in the late morning or early afternoon, but that will not do if it is too hot.  

Glad M sent you the wipes.  Hope you get to try the new mop, and your knee is better.  Interesting about the ability to use the voice feature.  I did not realize that about your DIL.  As far as I know DGD doesn't plan to go for her CPA.  Youngest DGS just sent me information about his tuition bill for the summer.  The price has gone up a bit, but still very reasonable compared to other places.  Since the 529 accounts are empty, I needed to transfer money out of my account to pay for the tuition.  Fortunately, I had enough since I have been putting money away for many years (starting with oldest DGS).  He's happy that he is almost finished (should finish this Fall)

I am worried about things being re-opened too quickly, but not much that I can do about it except to take my time getting back into the swing of things.  I don't think that they are likely to open the gyms or start my volunteer activities that soon, but who knows.

The big news is that oldest DGS and his "fiance"/wife are getting a puppy -- same breeder as DD's dog, but theirs is a pure chihuahua.  They put down a deposit and should get him in June.  Apparently, they are totally in love with DD's/DGS' dog, and very excited about getting their own puppy.  A bit crazy at this time, but I am sure they will be good puppy parents.

I just got a note that they have a new volunteer hospice coordinator, and she will contact us about any volunteer projects we can do after she starts the week of May 11th.  I was hoping for sooner, but.....

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.  

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

This morning was spent in transporting Griffyn to the vet. Same procedure as last time . You go in and register then wait in the car. Griffyn crowds out with me so I needed R along to keep him in the car. When it was our turn and I took him in Griff did a double take at the waiting room. The chairs were all stacked. That dog is a creature of habit. As I suspected he has an ear infection. They put medication in both ears and he is rechecked in 3 weeks. He seem much more comfortable and is sleeping a lot.

I should have gone with my intuition and scheduled him on Friday but R thought it was nothing. At least we got him in today.

Meanwhile Tip was furious at being left. She shredded paper in the living room and messed in the dining room. Next time she'll be crated.

I had hoped to clean the downstairs bathroom but that got moved to tomorrow's list.

R's bean pot arrived. The one disappointment is it was made in China. Nothing in the description listed that and being that it was an older American company  that touted its beginnings I presumed it was American made. Oh well.

Who would have thought we'd be thrilled to receive wipes, Barbara. Let me know how well baseboard mop works. I need to clean ours.

Linda, I'm sure eldest gs and fiancee will enjoy the puppy. 

Respected Contributor

Greetings..it is a nice day today, but the heat starts tomorrow.The company that checks our ac was just here and all is well...people who do not have regular servicing done seem to have problems. My knee is swollen, so I have not been doing a lot. that seems to be my m.o. lately.

m called and said some man came up to the door asking to see the house. She referred him to our agent...she was very smart about how she handled him. I am not holding my breath...

I had an interesting talk with my brother who lives very close to nyc. His kids have been home,working remotely. My niece who lives in the city, got out before things got really bad and my nephew has moved back from Atlanta, because he said the governor of Georgia is an idiot.  His take was that we need to be very careful for a very long time.

Linda..I am sure your dgs and fiancé will enjoy the puppy. You grandkids are so fortunate that you paid for their college. Njoy your virtual meeting...I forgot to get bananas for bread..will do that when we need more milk. It is too bad that you wake up so early...sleep is very vital for me and I rarely wake up before 7.

Claudia..good that you took gryff to the vet. I have a solution that I put in peppers ears to avoid infections. Tippy was a naughty dog.i think it is hard to avoid things made in China because of the labor costs.

enjoy the day..I am going to work on my memoir and take Pepper out later.😎😎

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Hope Griffyn is better soon, Claudia.  That Tippy -- guess the crate is needed.   One of my dogs suffered from separation anxiety, and regularly took revenge when I went to work, etc.  They have medication for that now, but not back then.

Sorry the bean pot turned out to be from China.  That was tricky on their part to not mention the fact that it was imported.  I try to avoid "food contact surfaces, food, etc. from China, Vietnam, etc."  I know things have improved a lot since I was working at FDA, but the Chinese and other countries who were not regularly inspected were not careful about their products.   Since then, the oversight is much better, and I haven't heard about any big issues.  

I know that many companies manufacture products overseas to save money.  I guess that makes sense.

Sorry about your knee, Barbara.  I always got up a little before 6:00 when I was working, and I thought I would sleep later when I was retired.  However, I find it difficult to sleep when the sun comes up, so I don't sleep much later than 6:30 even in the winter.  In the summer, I get up quite early to get my walk in before the heat.

I was walking in the neighborhood when my car was ready (from the recall work), and I asked them to delay picking me up a bit.  All seems fine, and they were cautious -- even had "clean pens" to use when signing papers and service people wearing masks.

Glad M was able to handle the person who wanted to see the house, Barbara.  Also glad your AC is okay.  We only had one AC breakdown since we bought the house 11 years ago.  But, last year I decided to have the AC checked, and signed a service contract.  It is up for renewal next month, and I plan to renew.   I may need a new AC, but maybe not.

DD said oldest DGS was contacted by his company.  They want him to move to New Hampshire to open up the new store as soon as business is back.  They said maybe next month (if it will be open in June) or in August (if it will be open in September).  Although I know he is eager to get to work, I sort of hope it won't be until later.  No telling since each State seems to have different ideas.

I am happy to be able to help my grands, but two of them (oldest and youngest DGSs have student loans to pay back).  Both went to private colleges for a while, and even with scholarships and grants, the prices were too high.  So, I can't say that I paid all their college tuition.  

Long story short, there is a family of owls that nests nearby, and the lady I traveled with in Italy was a big fan of owls.  I sent her a picture, and she told me that she had canceled both of her cruises for this year -- one was for April and the other for September.  She is hoping to go next year same places and times.  She lives in Washington State (near Canada), and is dealing with some of the same issues we are dealing with -- not willing to take a risk to go back to normal too soon.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I have the recycling ready for curbside pickup but it's too windy along with snow flurries to put it out. It looks like I'll have to get up around 6 (too darn early for me) to make sure it's out there before they show up. They've shown before 7 at times and also after 4.

What irks me about the bean pot is that nothing showed it was made overseas until it arrived with that sticker and it was more expensive than the other brand R looked at - the 2 gallon size. The company was started back in the late 50's and the product recommended by the Chamber of Commerce . R now has 1 gallon of beans now sitting in the refrigerator.

Our county has had its first death and now has 2 cases.

Linda, I also thought I would sleep in once I retired. It didn't happen. I blame it on too many years of working 7:30-3:30. I'm glad the recall work is done on your car.

It sounds like lots of changes are in the works for your eldest grandson.

The VA called early this morning and scheduled R for a consult for his esophagus, gastroparesis, gerd problems. They suggested that when his Zantac was permanently recalled. Besides that he takes another prescription due to the severity of his problem. We were surprised it was able to be set up for early May and is just a half hour away over the NY state border.

M dealt very well with the stranger showing up at the door, Barbara. I'm sorry the knee is giving you so much trouble. 

Griffyn seems to be feeling better.