Esteemed Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs. Week of July 28

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Another hot day here.  We did have a tiny amount of rain yesterday evening along with lots of lightening and thunder.   But, no rain is predicted for today or tomorrow.   I saw on the news that quite a few placed in the West are expecting hot temperatures today.

I slept pretty well last night, which was a blessing.  Nothing exciting planned for today.  

Hope you are feeling okay, Barbara, and that V, the rest of your family, and Pepper are doing okay.

Also hope all is well there, Claudia, and that R's shoot(s) went okay.  I'm sure you are busy keeping up with your furbabies and trying to get some work in.

I'm wearing my new SG dress today -- actually purchased quite a while back.  I have a tendency to want to "save" new clothing for an occasion, but I know that doesn't make sense, especially when there are very few occasions around here.  

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs. Week of July 28

Good afternoon..we are expecting rain and storms formost of the day. I have put my screen project off for the day because I need to use the hose and the yard. It has rained enough here this summer that we have only had the watering system on a few times.

I am feeling much better today...minimal pain and the Yukon side effects are gone.

az has been hot..one of my friends posted a pic of them on their patio in 108 degree heat. 

Linda..enjoy your dress...I try not to save things because we do not go to special events very often

Claudia..hope your day is good.

enjoy.😍

Respected Contributor

We had some downpours with wind and thunder this afternoon. I guess it's good I mowed the backyard yesterday.. The wind blew another large limb down. I had been concerned that would happen but didn't expect it so soon. A couple years ago when the top of the tree ended up in on yard the people behind us had it tr. I would have cut it down. The new growth clustered too close together and was to heavy. Too bad it wasn't where it would fall into their yard instead of ours. Smh. Tippy is overjoyed at having more branches.

Barbara, I'm glad you're feeling much better and the yucky side effects are gone. Yes, no sense saving things for special events. I remember my grandparents having new clothing never worn because it was "too good".

Tippy is prancing around the living room with her empty good dish.

I'm glad you slept well last night, Linda. I woke an hour early but knew I couldn't go back to sleep.

Tomorrow is R's MRI plus 2 clinic appointments. I think I'll have to go to Wegmans after that. I'm completely out of the cat's litter. Yikes. Back when I took Griff to be groomed I had planned to shop at Wegmans but then Tippy's stitches needed checked and I never got there. There I'll be, crazy cat lady filling the cart with 20 pound litter containers.

I talked with my catsitter  this afternoon. Her son and family just got home from a cross country trip. He's a logger and while in CA they came upon a fire starting, called the fire department but he was able to get it out before the firefighters arrived.I

Maybe Tuesday I can start getting things ready to pack.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I think I overdid a bit. Sydnie decided that she wanted to go through her stuff and I did not want to say no. Then she and washed the screens...plus laundry, but v is helping with that. So I am going to not do anything for the rest of the day.

it is beautiful today.only about 75 wiyj a breeze.no complaints here.

Linda..good luck with your screen people...I always use home advisor and then check bbb ratings. I hate heAvy duty sales tactics.

Claudia..hope you are getting some packing done. Yikes on the branch falling...I think I told you that I have nightmares about our neighbors huge tree falling into the family room.

enjoy the rest i

of your day.🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope R's tests/appointments went okay and you got the cat litter, Claudia.  Sorry about that branch -- does seem to have happened very soon.  Good luck with the packing.

Hope you don't pay for overdoing it a bit today, Barbara.  I understand how you would want to take advantage of Syd's willingness to tackle things.

My volunteer buddy called last night to say they are moving into their new house on Tuesday, so she is taking the day off.  They still have not sold the "old" house, so they are not moving everything, but..... She tends to be anxious, and I think moving makes almost anyone anxious.  Plus, she is not happy with having to pay for two houses.

The first window company representative came this afternoon, and I was pretty prepared for the feared sales pitch.  I think he realized I wasn't going for much of it -- told him that I didn't need to see his whole sales book, and did not want more than a basic good door.  Plus, I told him that I would not be signing anything today.

Nevertheless, we went through a pretty long process of picking out a door and all the accessories, plus a bunch of pricing.  They do not make the doors themselves, but buy them from the company Anderson uses in Ohio (at least this was his sales pitch).  Despite my protests, he gave me a price that would be good for a year, along with one with all sorts of "discounts" that would be good for a week.  Expensive in my book, but I am not sure what the other place will charge -- the other place told me that their doors start at $350 less, but......

I'm tired from lack of sleep over the door estimate/sales pitch, but I did manage to get some cleaning done while I was waiting, plus my walk and strong bones this morning.  Depending on the weather and how tired I am, maybe I'll go swimming later.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

it sounds like you overdid it a bit, Barbara. I hope you are taking it easy now.

R had his mri. Then we went to the clinic for his bloodwork and the sleep apnea teleconference. After that I got the car litter. I got 6 containers since I don't plan to run out again. There is no way I could have waited till Wednesday.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a quiet day and I can get things done around the house plus start to pack. We picked R's suit up today.

I can sympathize with your buddy's anxiety over 2 houses, Linda. When we moved to this house the sale on our previous house fell through. Not a fun time.

You did well with the first salesperson.

Chopping the branch may have to wait until after the reunion. Rain is expected tomorrow. Then there's Wednesday's trip to the VA and back again Friday.

I hope you sleep better tonight, Linda. Barbara too.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..my 2nd attempt to get my real I’d failed because the 1099 form only had the last 4= digits of my sis on it. I can print out a copy of my letter that I get every year..and I may try that in a couple of weeks. I do have a passport. Arghhhh

it is another gorgeous day here. I enjoy these perfect temps.

incontinue to feel pretty good.

Linda...we do not have a screen door on the front. We have one of those very tall doors and the estimate for a security screen was around $1000 Last year..we chose not to do it. Hope your lunch goes well.

Claudia..did rs appointments go ok? Good luck wit the packing.

enjoy your day.😎😎

Respected Contributor

I had my SS card but R did not have his. We ended up driving to the nearest SS office with the necessary verification. The  replacement card was received about 4 days later in the mail. You can request a SS card be replaced a certain number of times, Barbara.

Waiting to hear the MRI results. The VA called about his c-pap machine and will send a replacement filter out. I got some packing done with help from the cats. I hope to do more later. I'll have to as the bags are on the bed! R said he had no more room in his carryon. Well he only had one. I told him he needs to take 2. One for the overhead and one under the seat.

When do you get the other estimate on your door, Linda?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry you had trouble with that ID again, Barbara.  At least you have a passport.  Glad you continue to feel good and your weather is nice.  It is very dark and a little rainy here this afternoon.  Really wish we would get a good, soaking rain.  

Hope R carries the two bags, Claudia.  I'm sure packing isn't too easy when you have cats helping.  Hope R gets his MRI results soon.

The lunch program went pretty well, but it always takes me extra time when I have to do the salad bar -- mainly because I also have to do lots of my regular jobs with the hot meal since others mostly just serve and don't do the set up (taking temperatures, etc.)  and cleaning.

The deputy boss was there today since the boss wanted to do some school shopping for her kids.  The deputy's husband, who has always been in good health and very active, had some sort of heart issue (not sure if it was a heart attack, but probably close) on Saturday night, and just came out of the hospital today.  Fortunately, one of their daughters and family are staying with them, so she could stay with her Dad.  Her grandson came and helped distribute the dessert -- super kid.

I'm getting the second door estimate tomorrow afternoon.  I was telling my boss about it, and she told me about a place nearby.  Long story short, I went there, and they are coming next Wednesday to give me an estimate.  Small place, and the owner does the estimate, which is also true of the one tomorrow.

Interesting about your front door, Barbara.  I am thinking about not having that door done.  It isn't even a tall door, and the estimate from the first place was nearly $1,400 per door.  If I don't have that door made, I will probably try to have the frame fixed a little since there are holes due to the old screen door being taken down,  Plus, I would like to see if some sort of treatment/coating could be put on the wooden door -- it is original (1972), and very nice, but the sun and dust have not been kind.  

I talked to DD who said she would not get the security screen door for the front since I don't use that door often, and the wood door is pretty.  I know that I won't pay $1,400  for a very plain security door on the front, and probably neither door.  This is a nice house, but modest and not in a high crime area.

I will be answering the phones in the hospice office tomorrow morning and the door person will be here in the afternoon, so I think tomorrow will be busy.  I am glad I was able to go to the pool yesterday and the gym today.  Unfortunately, one of my gym buddies really hurt herself on a piece of equipment there -- she had not used it before and sat on it rather than going on her knees.  The machine threw her off, and now she has a fracture(?) on her back.  Her husband said she is in a lot of pain, but is trying to avoid taking her prescribed opioids.  Really makes me happy that I don't try machines I don't know how to operate (like that one.)  Yikes!

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- My boss told me that they had a large (basically double) security screen door made for their house) and it cost about $2.500, so I guess $1000 plus isn't out of line for  a single door, but.....

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon,

it remains in’s very nice here weather wise. Syd and I made a grocery run...because I am trying not to get too much meat at a time,I need to go more often. Plus Syd, the lucky eater was out of things she will eat fir breakfast and lunch.since she is sonslender and not a big eater, m wants to have things that she will eat.

i remain appalled ar the cost of groceries and other things. My brother, who is well versed and economics, told me it is due to current government policies on trade and taxes.

linda..good luck on the screen door. Our estimate was for a heavy duty, security door with a choice of different grill,designs. Your lunch program keeps you very busy...have fun answering the phones this afternoon. My friend who is in hospice went up to the mountains to get away from the eat for a few days. You are smart not to use equipment that you are not familiar with.

Claudia..it is a good idea for r to take 2 carry ones. Hope the packing is progressing.

sydnie is trying to train Pepper to stay I thecyard. She is doing well but decided to go on a walk by herself the other evening.fortunately, she did not get very far and came back when Syd called.

have a good day.