Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week oscSept 13

I'm glad you got everything unpacked, Barbara. Smh over V. I'm glad he's at the doctor now. R didn't put up an argument when I told him I wanted him to go to VA urgent care. It looks much better. I had told him the beginning of the month that he had one job and one job only - to keep healthy so his surgery didn't get delayed.

Its too bad Vs walker needs replaced.

Linda, dad was 31 when I was born (45 when my brother was) so not young. I miss him every day.

I'm glad you're happy with the handy man's work. That's an interesting story about his roof.

I think I mentioned my neighbor across the street had another small stroke but is back home. We noticed both her front doors were open so messaged her daughter. Then a bit later I saw her sitting inside the front door in her wheelchair so went over to talk. She had fallen asleep on the sofa.

She and the rest of the family still can't visit her husband with Alzheimer's so its very hard on her.

I have hope of some help with the feral kittens. My next door neighbor said his wife and their friends are interested in catching them. One of the three young kittens has an eye problem. So hopefully we can get them.

Another day of 70° weather. I was tempted to try to mow but restrained myself.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with the feral, Claudia.  Sorry about your neighbor.  I read that a lot more people than usual have died from Alzheimer's Disease and other forms of dementia since the virus made visiting with family impossible.

I heard from my friend and confirmed it with Bev -- her kidney removal surgery is tomorrow.  She was unhappy with the surgeon she had (sort of lackadaisical), but is pleased with the new one who has promised to contact her son, friend, and all her other doctors when the surgery is completed.

Respected Contributor

oh my, what a day so far. I went out at 8 to pick up a few things at Walmart. There is a Starbucks across the street that I often visit. So I got in line for the drive through and my car starts smoking and quits...The man behind me got out and it would not start nor outdoor I get it out of gear. And there Re several cars behind me..an nice young man came out and moved people out of the line , brought me a coffee and water and stayed with me. I called the dealership for a tow and waited for v.  

the car is now at the dealership and we are waiting to hear what is wrong...the car. Is 11 years old and with 165000 miles so who knows. 

arghhh.

m called and Sydnie has to have her wisdom teeth removed and braces. Her teeth were gorgeous until about 6 weeks ago. She will have Invisalign rather than metal braces because of her modeling. 

Life is most interesting.

Linda..hope your Olli class is good. Sounds as if youngest dgs has a good job offer.i have never bought clothes from Walmart..

Claudia..that is sad about your neighbor not being able to visit. Good luck with the feral kittens.it isc110 today..hot, hot, hot. 

enjoy the Rest of your day. 🥵🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  So sorry to hear about your car troubles, Barbara.  Thank goodness it wasn't later in the day when it was hotter plus you had people helping you.  My car is the same age as yours, but it only has about 56,000 miles on it.  Hopefully, the repairs won't be too expensive or take too long.

Also sorry Syd needs to have her wisdom teeth removed and braces.  Hope M has some dental insurance, but I don't know if braces are covered under dental plans.  DD needed braces, and my dentist allowed us to do a payment plan since we didn't have any dental insurance.

I spent too much time at home before going to the grocery stores, so I didn't have time for a proper lunch before my OLLI class.  Fortunately, I could cover up my camera and eat some yogurt, etc.  The class was good, but this professor (who I have had many times in the past) isn't as innovative as some of the "new" ones who are teaching by Zoom.  No videos, etc.  But, good information, and I really like him.

While I have not purchased many clothes from Wal Mart in a year or so, I often buy my underwear and socks there.  Plus, very casual clothes like shorts and tank tops plus cotton turtlenecks.  I have had most of these tank tops (four) and turtlenecks (probably six or more) since before we moved here.  And, the four pair of shorts I have came from Wal Mart.  I don't wear them out (ever), and they are okay with me.  I even have some casual knit pants from Wal Mart that I wear on my walks when it is cooler.  Unfortunately, many of their newer things are not of the same fabric and cut, but I used to look sometimes before the virus hit and they closed off the dressing rooms.

According to DD, DGS' bossrs love him -- he is very bright, a hard worker, and easy going guy.  DD said that he plans to live at home at least until he pays off his college loans, which is sensible.  I helped him and paid for most of his school, but he went to a private college in VA as a Freshman, and despite having an academic scholarship and campus job, plus some money from me, he had to take out loans.  

DD said that the neurologist said DGD is doing very well and doesn't need to return for a month.  Great news.

Hope things are going okay for R and you, Claudia.  Also hope your furbabies are okay.  I guess V is doing okay, Barbara?  

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I learned of another roofing company, so now I will be getting two estimates.  Hopefully, one at least will not be excessive.

Respected Contributor

Barbara, is this the car you drove from MN? If so I'm glad it didn't happen along the way. What a start to the day.

Its probably best for Syd to get the wisdom teeth out now. The Army paid for Adam's.

Even when working our dental insurance didn't seem to cover much.

It seems the 3 kittens have found a spot behind our garage that they like. Our neighbor down the street (the one with the Gt. Pyr pup) was trying to make friends with them this afternoon.

Oliver showed up out front late afternoon for food about the time my bf and her mom dropped the walker off that I had loaned them. Since we have the tall walker we don't really need it but its good to have a spare. Fortunately Dot no longer needs to use it.

It sounds like DGS is doing well, Linda. I had forgotten he'd gone to the private college. That's good news for your DGD.

I have purchased tights and pajamas at Wal-Mart in the past.

Fingers crossed the roofing quotes will not be excessive.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it remains hot here...106 as of right now. 
We were to have the window that was broken by the newspaper carrier replaced, but it was measured in correctly. So we now have a piece of plywood in place. I did have to laugh because the installer, was the one who did the measurements.

I mistakenly took my night pills this morning, so I was pretty groggy for a few hours. I am finally back to my normal

The cellulitis has really taken a tool on V. He let it go way too long..His legs are looking a little better but he is still not well. I think he may end up in the hospital before this is over. Arghhh

There is a lot of work to be done to get everything sorted and toss what I don't want. I hope to have it done by the time we leave for the holidays.

Linda..hope you got a decent roof bid. I am realizing that we are at a point where we are going to have to have someone do things for us. glad to hear that your dgd is doing well.

The problem with the car was that the water pump gave up the ghost. It should be ready shortly..not a cheap repair but better than what it could have been

Claudia..any luck with the kittens?? Sydnie said Pepper keeps looking for us. 

have a good day..I am working on it. 💕💕

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad Dot doesn't need the walker any longer, Claudia.  Hope you had better luck with the kitten today, and R is doing okay.

It is only 94 here, Barbara (at least at the moment).  Not exactly chilly, but not too bad. Very sorry V is suffering so much.  It is a shame he didn't go to the doctor sooner.  Yikes about the window.  My newspaper is tossed way out in the yard, so no chance of a broken window unless that changes.Oops about taking the wrong pills.  Hope you are doing okay now.  Glad your car will be ready soon, and it was not a fatal issue.  Like Claudia, I am wondering if that is the car you drove back from MN?  If so, good that the water pump waited to break.

I forgot to mention that when I was leaving the Sprouts parking lot yesterday, there was a police car at the corner.  I went around him to find that he was sitting behind a boat that had fallen off the back of a truck.  There was a couple standing on the corner holding a small dog.  Yikes!

As you may see on the other thread, the audiologist confirmed that my hearing aid was broken, and he has sent it back to be repaired or replaced.  Bev's operation has been delayed until tomorrow morning.  I know she is tired of waiting, but these things happen.  

Oldest DGS and his wife have moved into their new apartment/house, and the movers have already dropped off the furniture. I am sure it will take them a while to settle in, but at least they don't have much furniture yet.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad the car repair is not as bad as you thought. Smh my head over the window measurements. I do hope V doesn't need hospitalized. R has mistakenly taken nighttime pills in the morning and vice versa a couple times.

No paper here as it wasn't worth the price. Too often items didnt make the news until days later, if at all. Online is the same price so I get my news elsewhere. They've even blocked the obituaries.

No kittens taken in today. I've started adding some Rescue Remedy drops to food and have a lead on someone involved in trap, neuter, release.

Yikes on the boat falling off a truck, Linda. Your DGS and wife are getting settled quickly. I hope Bev's surgery goes well tomorrow and your hearing aid arrives sooner than expected.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon. I went to water aerobics this morning...the limit is 10 so we were well spaced apart. It was nice to be in the pool. I am doing things very slowly. After I finish this, I am going to vacuum the floors and wash them tomorrow.

V remains very weak and he has finally admitted that he should have gotten medical care in Colorado. The fever , which I think was pretty high has affected his cognition a bit. I told him that because of his age it is going to take him much longer to recover.

it remains hot here. 104 today. Amie said it was 27 the other night where they live.

Linda..hope you get your hearing aid fixed sooner rather than later. I hope dgs and wife get settled quickly..it is much easer to move with little stuff. I still can't believe how much stuff we had to move.

Claudia,I am not going to put my trazodone in my pill box..that will eliminate errors. My mind is always a few steps ahead of my body.

we picked up the car yesterday afternoon. The head mechanic said it should easily go another 100000 miles.my cousin has a Prius older than ours with almost 300,000 miles that is running fine.

I am very sad about Ruth Bader Ginsburg death.

enjoy your day 🌼🌼

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad your car is back and should last so much longer, Barbara.  Is it a Prius?  My friend Jo Ann had one, but something went wrong with the battery(?), and she sold it for not very much money after her husband died. 

Like you, I am very sad about RBG's death.  I think I had been lulled into thinking she would be able to fight cancer again this time.  When I first saw the news, I could not believe it -- checked several sources before I did.

That is a shame about V -- really hope he doesn't need to be hospitalized.  My friend Bev was doing okay in recovery when I  heard earlier today (they removed a kidney and ureter), but she will need another surgery. Apparently, the first surgeon caused some other problems that will require a surgical team to fix. Yikes!

Glad you were able to do water aerobics.  It is not as hot here (96 at the moment), but still quite hot.  Certainly a huge difference than where Amie lives.  

As you may have read on the other thread, I got the senior flu shot yesterday, and so far, so good (just a little arm pain.)   Nothing at all exciting going on.  I may go by the food bank and drop off some things today or maybe wait until tomorrow.  I will put things in the open cart this time just in case there is a creature in the box like last time.  

Hope things are going okay there, Claudia.  Any luck with the kitten(s)?  DD is having their new dog neutered next week (maybe Monday?)  Not fun, but necessary.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda