Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week ofOctober 31

Boo...it's Halloween. M does not want kids coming to the house, so we will be dark. She is in one of her not good moods..not fun. But we have been in this place many times.

It is fun to have V3 and Vanessa here.Syd had a couple of friends over last night to make costumes. She invited Vanessa to join them and she was thrilled. 

V3 is going to offer to drive the car to Az for us. I. Think flying will be easier. But wil my stubborn Dh accept it.

Lunda..I have a kindle paper white in a case and love i.It is very easy to read on.

Claudia...I find a lot of old furniture to be huge. I remember both of my grandparents very heavy, beautiful wooden pieces.

enjoy your day..I need to make pancakes.🎃🎃🎃👻👻

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week ofOctober 31

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope everyone enjoyed those pancakes, Barbara.  I imagine V will want to go to AZ if V3 drives, but it doesn't sound very comfortable.  Not that flying is comfortable, but at least it doesn't usually take as long.  

Sorry M isn't in a good mood.  Nice of Syd to invite Vanessa to join them in making costumes.  I didn't see my cousins often -- most lived in California.  But, I do remember one time when we visited local cousins at Christmas time.  I was younger, and remembered thinking how dull it would be just to get clothes for Christmas rather than toys.  

No trick or treaters in this retirement community.  I don't think many younger kids visit their grandparents around here.  But, they had a very cute thing after church.  All the kids came out of where they were having a party, and lined up to hit a pinata.  Of course, they were very cute in their costumes.  I didn't stay long enough to see anyone break the pinata.

Like you, I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but mine is quite old.  Still works okay, but I saw a new version was going on sale, and I was interested.  So far, there seem to be some software problems, so I will probably hold off on ordering.  That is if I decide to order.   

Hope you are able to find furniture you like sooner rather than later, Claudia.  Also hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay.

I had a pretty disappointing Walmart pick-up today.  They were out of seven of the items, and only offered substitutions for two.  Since I needed a couple of items today, I decided to go into the store.  The store was always fairly neat in the past, but today it was a big mess.  Most people were not wearing masks, and there were many partially empty shelves.  I managed to find some carrots (I wanted the regular type, not the little ones) and some yogurt flavors (not my favorites, but...), but some of the things were just MIA -- like Old Fashioned oatmeal.  I know Sprouts has it and flax seeds (also MIA), so I will get that next week. 

The landscaper came and did a good job.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Trick or Treat was last night locally. We did not have lights on either. Fortunately Griffyn didn't bark much.  I believe there were downtown activities plus a number of churches had parties.

Flying to AZ and V3 (did you mean V2 or do I have my numbers wrong) driving the car sounds like a good option, Barbara.  V may agree after sitting in the SUV briefly the other day.

Pancakes sound great.

I saw pictures of next Thursday's estate sale and saw a couple options for the bathroom. I'll stop by after my booster shot tape measure in hand.

R went to his last muzzleloader shoot of the year. He said he got much better scores this time. He came home very tired though.

I spent part of the afternoon organizing the sunporch. I try to keep a month's supply of pet food. It's maybe 10x 6' so not a lot of room. On the far end R put up a closet rod for coats. Then there's my 6' Chautauqua bench and a dresser storing handbags, scarves and gloves. I forgot the boot cupboard too. I did drop off a bag at Goodwill.

Respected Contributor

That's too bad about your Wal-Mart pickup, Linda. More and more there is mention of shortages or missing items at the grocery stores.

I hear from someone in France that size of items has decreased and pet food is difficult to find.

I bet the kids at church had a good time with costumes and the pinata.

Respected Contributor

I think there is a black cloud hanging over us. After dinner last night v started complaining about chest pains and wanted me to call an ambulance, This time they were very kind in dealing with him..no dragging on the floor or making him stand.

So, unfortunately , the hospital close to us was not taking any more ambulances so he is at one about 25 miles away.  I am very familiar with it because my heart dr is there and m has been knit several times.

They are running lots of tests..his initial blood work did not show a heart attack but are doing a big work up including an angiogram on weds.  If everything is fine, they will check his gall bladder.

I am having trouble dealing with this . It seems that when one thing goes wrong in an older person, other s follow.

I got very little sleep last night so am heading to bed shortly, 

Will keep you posted 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Evening!  I guess I am confused about V3 driving the car to Arizona, Barbara.  Do you mean that he would just drive the car, and you and V would fly?  Anyway, I hope it goes okay.

Sounds like a good plan you have to go to the estate sale after you have your booster shot, Claudia.  Good work on the sun porch.

I had heard a lot about shortages, but this was the first time I really felt the difference.  Not just that I couldn't find the brand I wanted, but the whole category of not too exotic foods.  DD told me that she has had similar experiences at WM.  So far, the grocery stores don't seem to be in such bad shape.  But, who knows.  I have noticed the reduction in sizes for some items.  Of course, no reduction in price.

I had my two OLLI classes and then went for my annual eye exam.  I need a new prescription, but the doctor didn't see any obvious eye problems.  I do need to go back for an extra check for glaucoma in December.  I really like the lady who helped me pick out my glasses (same as last year), and she found a very nice pair that are supposed to be "teal" and petite.  They should be ready in a couple of weeks.  Interestingly enough, she told me that they are not having supply issues with transition lenses, but the typical bifocals with the line are difficult to find.  Some patients have needed to wait six weeks or more.  

Hope both of you and your families are okay, and you sleep well tonight.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Looks like we were posting about the same time, Barbara.  I am so sorry to hear about V.  And, I certainly can relate to the trouble you are having dealing with yet another health issue with V.  Do try to get some rest tonight.  Sending many cyber hugs.  I will be praying for both of you.

Respected Contributor

Oh dear, Barbara, V must have felt terrible. At least he didn't have to be dragged or made to stand.  It's too bad he had to go to a hospital further away.  R has been admitted several times over the years. Each time it turned out not to be his heart but the hole in his diaphragm. Hoping V has a short hospital stay. Meanwhile take a deep breath and try to take it a day, an hour, or even a moment at a time. 

Linda, my middle sister (in NC) emailed me.  She found Aldi's  completely out of kleenex and several other items in short supply. I'm glad your eye appointment went well.

R is very tired today. I think he overdid it at the muzzleloader shoot yesterday. This morning was lab work and he had pt this afternoon.

I hope everyone sleeps well.

Respected Contributor

Some good news..vs heart is in good shape for the issues he has. There are no signs of a heart attack and no need for an angiogram. We are awaiting the results of his ultrasound to see if he has gall bladder issues.

Hemay go home later today contingent  on this test.

and the garage door broke ..poor m

Linda..to clarify, v3 wouod drive to Az Nd v and I wouod fly.

He is not going home today..no results yet.

Claudia..hope your porch is together. 

Thanks for your kind words. I know you both understand, 

Sleep well...I am heading out before it gets too dark.

💤💤

Respected Contributor

That's good news for you and V, Barbara. Now to find out about the gallbladder.

Our garage door broke once. It was a pretty quick fix though.

We have a forecast of up to 3" of snow tonight. Winter is on its way. R cut up the large box the chairs were in. That's out with the other recycling for tomorrow.

After voting we went out for breakfast. R managed pancakes. We stopped by Lowe's and picked up a couple fiberglass door brochures. The front door gets full sun much of the day and there's no overhang. I also want to replace the storm door.

Between voting, breakfast, banking, post office, Lowe's, recycling to the curb I didn't get as much done as I planned. I'm curious to check our Aldi's tomorrow. Middle sister said hers was out of kleenex and several freezer sections were completely empty.

I'm hoping for a quiet evening though it probably won't happen. It was dark here by 6:30.

Sleep well.

Esteemed Contributor

Very happy heart problems have been ruled out, Barbara.  I remember one of DH's good friends had some horrible pain, and it was due to kidney stones.  They were concerned about a heart attack, so that was good news.  I know gallstones can also be very painful -- DD had that problem one Easter years ago.  

Thanks for the clarification about V3 driving the car, and the two of you flying.   Hopefully the airlines will be working better when that time comes.  There have been so many issues lately.

As you know, we do not have daylight savings time here, and it gets dark pretty early.  I really didn't like it when I went to work and came home in the dark. Hope M can get the garage door repaired without too much trouble/expense.

You were certainly busy today, Claudia.  I'm not surprised you didn't get everything done that you might have liked.  Sure don't envy you with the possible snow.  I'm just not a cold weather person.  I had to laugh today when I saw one of my neighbors loading something into his car this morning.  He was in shorts and barechested.  Meanwhile, I was in jeans, a turtleneck, and light fleece jacket and still felt chilly.  To be fair, it looked like he had a lot more insulation that I do.

Good luck in finding doors that work for you.  I haven't changed the regular doors here, but I remember having it done in my first and third houses.  Lots of decisions to make.

I wonder about Aldi's.  DD went to Food Lion today, and she didn't notice any big shortages like she found at WalMart.  Hopefully, my local grocery stores will be the same.  Fortunately, I don't need any paper products.

Hope you do have a quiet evening.

Prolia must be ordered through a specialty pharmacy, and my insurance will change pharmacies in 2022.  It is already a big mess.  I had CVS before, and now I have to re-register, etc. with them.  Times like this I wish my name was Smith.  I keep having to spell it over and over.  Anyway, I asked how much my co-pay will be, and the representative quoted twice the price I have been paying.  Supposedly, there is some way I can get hardship payment (or some sort of term like that) for part of my co-pay.  If not, I think I will ask the doctor to prescribe something else.  That would be a ridiculous increase in my opinion, especially since originally there was zero co-pay, then higher, and higher.   Yikes.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda