Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of September 15

I 'm glad Syd is enjoying dance this yrar, Barbara. We have not out the cover on our air conditioner yet. Today it was in the low 70's. Very comfortable.

I talked to my friend from grade school. She went to the reunion and mostly enjoyed herself. At one point she found herself next to her former sister in law. They hadn't spoken for years and finally did. The ex husband was a twin and died probably 10 years ago. He was as tall and thin as she is short and stocky.I

My friend is taking her mom out of the nursing home Thursday. The nursing home is not pleased. However insurance is no longer paying for physical therapy and she feels her mom will be better at home. For broke her hip badly about 3 months ago. Since that decision was made they've taken the folding chair for visitors out of the room along with various decorations. She told me when her mom got up the other morning and rang for assistance for the bathroom she had to sit on the side of her bed for over an hour before anyone checked on her. I hope going home works out.

This was the nursing home R was in after his lung infection. I remember the footrest on the recliner in the room broke the first day he was there and was never fixed. I much prefer the nursing home he was in after he broke his neck. But sometimes you can't pick and choose.

Earlier today Tippy was out back and two curious half grown tabby cats came across the neighbor's yard to check her out. One was braver than the other but neither was approachable. I don't know if they're two of the neighborhood strays or if they are my neighbor's who had the stroke kittens. I would think her daughter or grand daughter would have taken them though.

Linda, I think it's a good idea to have some euros in hand. The local banks weren't willing to order any on our trips. Fortunately we had no trouble using our credit card or finding an atm.

I bet you're glad that follow-up interview is over.

After I got home from my noon dental appointment we loaded the branches into the wagon and took them to the collection area. I did leave Tippy the one branch she likes to carry around. She shortened it to about 2'. I'm glad to have that eyesore out of the way. Next is the scrap metal.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is warm and humid..v had not yet covered the ac so if went on last night..so we slept well.

i am reading about so many people who have issues sleeping...somehow I have figured out how to turn off my brain and put myself back to sleep. Because I need good sleep every night, it is important that I do this. Syd and m are very quiet in the morning..she is up by 530 at the latest.

i am going to do one final sort on my clothes going to Az..I still think I am missing some items . Decided that I am only going to take what I need to wear on the trip and get what else I need at Christmas. I am not putting any thing in suitcases untiilFriday.

Linda, because you are on a tour are you limited to how much luggage you can bring?sorry your Fitbit is not working well. One of my friends who is very active finally bought an Apple Watch, which she said works very well. 

Claudia..hope your friend does ok with her mom. The couple of times my mother was in for rehab, she went home as soon as she was done with therapy. M said the neighbors with the annoying screaming children asked her not to let pepper loose because she doesn’t want her in their yard. She only goes over when she decides to escape..yikes. I would like to put up a huge privacy fence.

enjoy your day. 🎈🎈

Esteemed Contributor

Hope things work out with your friend's Mom at home, Claudia.  That does not sound like a nice nursing home, but having her at home may be a challenge.  Based on the experiences of people in this area, finding a facility that is affordable plus good is a challenge, plus things get very complicated when PT is involved.  I can't say that I understand the Medicare rules for physical therapy, etc.  Hope I don't have to learn more.

Glad you got rid of those branches -- funny story about Tippy's branch -- might make for a good children's book.

Good that you are able to sleep well, Barbara.  Unlike Jean, I can often get back to sleep depending on when I wake up -- usually easier earlier in the night.  Glad you are able to control your mind like that -- I'm trying, but not doing very well yet.  I spent time last night trying to remember the Italian word for bakery -- almost got up to look at the dictionary, but.....

Yes, we are quite limited in the luggage we can bring on the tour, and that is part of the reason I keep going over and over what I plan to take with me. Basically, I will be taking one piece of checked luggage plus a large tote to carry on.

That is something about the neighbor with the annoying children  and Pepper.  Doesn't sound like a good neighbor to have.  Some of my friends here have some weird neighbors, and have stories of how they try to avoid confrontations, etc.  One has a neighbor guy who has cut some of her plants in the dark of night because he thought they were annoying.  Not fun.

Hope both of you have a nice day and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you slept well, Barbara. Air conditioning sure does help. Some type of fencing for at least part of the yard is a good idea. It is so convenient here to just open the back door and let the dogs out. Fortunately for the front door we have a "buffer" zone so to speak. I can shut the door to the sunlight leaving the dogs in the living room.

R sent a package to the manufacturer of one of his powder dispensers that quit working. The company is replacing it. He decided to send it UPS. We took it after bowling. He was shocked a lightweight package was $20. I think the postal service would have been less expensive.

The yard, front and back is 95% mowed and the scrap metal is in the car to be dropped off tomorrow on our way to the VA. Tip has been searching for trouble and finding it. I caught her chewing a piece of orange plastic. I have no idea what it was or where she found it. At least she no longer has it. A kitchen garbage can that latched took care of that.

Linda, it is difficult to pick and choose what to pack and what to leave home. I was always revising my list.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I am back from knitting. We had a great political discussion, even though some share opposite views. It is nice to be able to talk and have everyone remain friends.

i am packing some..got groceries, Ostomy supplies and shoes ready to go. I am still debating clothes. And yes, the car will be loaded.

Linda..read your kindle question on the other thread. I have taken mine on everyone trip to Europe. Just remember to have an adapter for the cord. I have mine on airplane mode at all times, unless I am downloading a book, which I only do when I am home. You should have no problems.  Good luck on packing..

Claudia..I think eventually we will put up a fence..these neighbors are so annoying that I would like to shut them out lol. Mailing anything is super expensive these days..

have a a great day.🎈🎈

Esteemed Contributor

Hope things went okay at the VA, and you got rid of the scrap metal, Claudia.  Jo Ann told me that she spent $80 to send back a comforter she ordered from JC Penney.  The lady at UPS said it would have been more to send via the Post Office.  I asked why she didn't take it back to the store, and she said she didn't want to drive up there.  Given that her doctor told her not to drive, I guess that was wise, but $80 sounds like a lot.  Not sure how much the comforter cost, but I imagine that was a pretty big percentage of the cost.

Glad you are getting things together Barbara.  I think a fence would be a good idea for those neighbors.  It is a shame you have to spend the money, but.....  Thanks for the information about the Kindle.  I ordered adapters from Amazon, so hopefully they will work in Italy.  Good that you had a nice discussion at knitting.   I haven't found political discussion to go well unless everyone agrees, so I usually keep away from the subject, if possible.

I went to the gym and then the Caregivers group and coffee after the meeting.  Only two of us were there for coffee, but we had a nice conversation.  I went to buy gasoline and found the price had gone up 10 cents a gallon since yesterday.  Oh well......

Hope to get some much needed house cleaning done and put my packing worries aside for at least one evening.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, I have been able to read books on my Kindle when traveling. It's much easier than packing a book imo.

Great that you could have a discussion without friendships ending, Barbara. That happens too often these days.

We made the VA trip to see about a tens unit for Rod. However it was wasted. Since the prostate cancer is back and maybe the bladder cancer it was no longer an option.  Now we will see if water therapy or acupuncture is an option. Before heading home we stopped at Wegmans. Shopping with R took longer than doing it by myself and his hip have him problems so I told him to wait in the car while I checked out. We also dropped things off at a scrap metal place.

I haven't felt well all day. After we started out I really didn't feel well. We stopped at a Red Apple about 12 miles from home. I used the restroom and took off the sharpest and stuffed it in my purse. Felt somewhat better and made it through the day. The heck with vanity. Lol.h

R is at bowling. Once he gets home I plan to go straight to bed.

Respected Contributor

$80! Yikes.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I have my suitcases shut..now to see what v can get into the car..lol. His walker takes up a lot os space. We are driving halfway tomorrow. I cannot do a 15 hour drive at all. 

Claudia..hope r can find some pain relief...I have found cbd cream to be a little helpful. It is sad his cancers are back...v has been very fortunate.

it is pretty warm and humid here..not our usual September weather. Linda..hope you got your cleaning done. Good luck on your packing.

nothing else to report from here..

enjoy. 🎈🎶🎶

Esteemed Contributor

Glad your suitcase is closed, Barbara.  I definitely could not handle a 15 hour drive, and I don't have nearly the number of health challenges that you and V do.  I imagine he would prefer to drive straight through, but glad he agreed to break up the drive.  Hope it isn't too difficult a trip.

I'm sorry the VA trip was wasted yesterday, Claudia.  Hope that R can get some pain relief.  I guess you were talking about wearing a shaper?  I have to be very careful with doing so, and don't do it often.  On the other hand, I always wore one when I was working, and DD wears them all the time.  Yikes!

Exercise class went okay this morning (I have a sort of aerobic stretching class followed by chair yoga class). 

After going to the bank to pick up the foreign currency on Wednesday, I ended up getting a no fee travel card which doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees.  Lots of hassles since my credit reports were all frozen (by me), and I have several different credit monitoring services.  So, I got several alerts, etc. after I "unfroze" one for 24 hours.  I don't think I will use it enough to earn the promised travel rewards, but I have other cards that I get cash back, etc.  If there are any issues, that card will be canceled.  

DD told me that she purchased tickets for herself and DGD to see Downton Abbey at the local theater on-line, and urged me to do the same.  Very happy to say that I did so, and I will be going Sunday afternoon.  

I did get some cleaning done yesterday evening, and I plan to do more today along with picking up some produce (and maybe dairy food) at the grocery stores.  Not too much, but I do love my fresh fruit.  Also will probably look more at what I will pack for my trip.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda