Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of September 15

Good afternoon.

it is more summer like..high of 80, what I call perfect weather. I am continuing on my get ready for Az week...our little car will be loaded,mas always. 

We we are having our last favorite summer meal of grilled chicken and hot potato salad for dinner tonight. It is something that I actually like to eat.

Nothing else exciting here..I will look at your posts later.

Claudia..hope you are feeling better.🍁🍁

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of September 15

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  Sometimes it was almost a game about how much we could stuff into the car when we were traveling back and forth to Maryland.  Can't say that I miss those days.  Glad your weather is nice, and you like the planned dinner.  Mostly, my appetite is very good, of course, there are exceptions.

Like Barbara, I hope you are feeling better, Claudia. Also hope your furbabies are giving you a break and R is okay. 

You may have read on the other thread that I had a rather confusing and disturbing phone calls from a lady I worked with many years ago.  We were not exactly best buddies, but I knowing her back in the day.  She is older and has a problematic husband (long story, but), who has insisted on moving a lot, etc.  They used to travel to France a lot -- rented inexpensive apartments, etc., but his health was not good so they had to stop.  I'm not clear what happened to her -- she was extreme Type A, even in retirement, but I think she fell and injured her leg(?) so badly she cannot walk much, etc.

They live in an apartment in the Boston area, and she could not get out of the house when they had snow.  

Anyway, I was shocked to hear from her early this morning, and she sounded very different.  I know it had been at least 10 years (probably more than 15 years) since we talked on the phone, and we only communicated via e-mail or mail three times a year or so.

She didn't answer my question about her health, but I'm sure it is not good.  I'll probably send her a letter since I'm not sure how much she is willing/able to talk on the phone and no longer has a computer, etc.  Hopefully, she is okay, but......

Church was okay as was the gym.  I am not getting as much done as I hoped to, but I am trying to be gentle to myself.

I think I know the blouse and scarf you are interested in, Claudia, and it is very nice.  Those are the colors I would like as well.

We had rain last night (not a lot), and it is cooler today (high 80's or low 90's).

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

This next week is supposed to be warm with little chance of rain. I am still not feeling great so only did what had to be done today.

I was very upset to learn that our neighbor across the street (the one whose husband has Alzheimer's) had a double stroke earlier this month along with a brain aneurysm. She is currently in the same nursing home as her husband. I had noticed her car not there the past several days and finally checked her daughter's fb. They are close to our age.

Your dinner sounds good, Barbara. I picked up dinner for R at Bob Evans. 

Little excitement here.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are not feeling well, Claudia.  That is very bad news about your neighbor.  I hope she recovers. 

Respected Contributor

I see we were working on posts at the same time, Linda. That would be a rather disturbing phone call. 

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..

I am having a semi productive day...I have started packing items other than clothes. I put all of my summer things away...it is going to be warm the next couple of days, but not hot, hot. 

Today is not not a good day..ithink I will try some ice on my knees...as I have said..I know that I have moved into a new level of discomfort with my disease. Argghhh

Linda. That was a strange phone call you received yesterday...especially since you have not heard from her for years. She sounds lonely. My niece is using that app your dd has to help her maintain her 175 pound weight loss.

Claudia..hope you are back to normal and feeling ok.intreasure days where I feel well. Pepper has slept all morning, recovering from the weekend.

have a god day. 🍁🍁

Respected Contributor

Like yours, my day was semi productive, Barbara. I did lug Pippin's food and the regular cat food upstairs and distributed them in their various storage containers. I still haven't brought plastic bins from the attic for summer clothes. R is in the garage much of the day and I don't care to leave Tip unsupervised.

I'm sorry this is not a good day for you and your discomfort level has increased.  It's too bad there isn't a cure.

Tomorrow I have hopes of loading the branches in the yard into the car and taking them to the city collection point. Tip has chewed the branches off into manageable sizes. She has stopped her digging for now. I also managed to mail a get well card to my neighbor. She has a long recovery ahead of her.

Linda, I hope you've had a more productive day than I have.

Did either of you see the report of the woman who dreamed she swallowed her engagement ring and woke up to find she had? Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Evening!  Sorry you need to adapt to new levels of pain, Barbara.  RA stinks plus!  Good that you got things done and the weather is okay.  Funny about Pepper.

Hope you are feeling better today, Claudia.

We had our "strong bones" class in the new location, and all went well.  Only three of us attended, but that was okay.  We are hoping for additional members when it is publicized.  One lady had her knee surgery today, so she will be out for a while.  The other lady who did not attend was the one accused to making the remark that got us thrown out of the other location.  I don't know if she did so due to lack of information (another lady was supposed to let her know) or because she was embarrassed.

The lunch was pretty nice (one of the ladies is not the easiest person to take, but....), and Jo Ann was doing fairly well.  She has lost a lot of weight, and now is thinner than me.  Not great.  She is going to the facility she is considering tomorrow.  She is fully committed to selling her house because it is just too much work for her.

I took some jeans to the seamstress after the lunch, and she said they will be done this week.  Nice lady with a small dog.  Very reasonable prices.

DD is still working on the insurance change -- lots of complications.  I am happy to hear that your niece has had such good luck with Noom, Barbara.

Later in the day, I spent quite a bit of time trying to arrange things with the bank for my trip.  I had to call to find out how to do some things on-line.  I have ordered some Euros that will come to the local bank.

We had strange weather today.  It was sunny on my walk, but it was thundering while I was driving to lunch.  During lunch, we had a bunch of rain which mostly stopped by the time I got home.  Now it is dark and threatening, but not raining.  I was amazed that it was 93 degrees when I went to lunch and 73 degrees when I came home.  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I think you are right about the lady being lonely, Barbara.  I hope there are not any other issues.

---------------

Posting around the same time again, Claudia.  I think you and Barbara were much more productive than me today.  Just a lot of running around.

Glad the digging has stopped, and the branches are ready to be transported.  Hope you can get that done.

I did not hear about the lady and ring -- crazy story, but I guess that sort of thing happens sometimes.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is rather toasty out..Close to 90 with matching humidity.. I am not turning on the ac since it is covered for the winter..lol.

i picked up the groceries we need for our trip..will be meat, milk and perishables..we have full kitchen in Colorado and s cook top in New Mexico. Got my hair trimmed and a pedicure so I did things for myself .

Linda..glad your friend is doing ok...I wonder if her weight loss is due to forgetting to eat. My mom had that problem with her dementia, which is why we moved her to assisted living. Sorry dd has that insurance change. I never took a lot of cash to Europe..my credit cards had good exchange rates. I am sure that will be a lovely trip for you. 

Claudia..hope Tippy is behaving herself. I am amazed at how mellow Pepper has become. She likes to bark at anything walk-in by the house, but otherwise is very quit.

Syd I’d at dance..she seems to be enjoying it this year.

have a good evening. 🎈🎈

Esteemed Contributor

Your weather doesn't sound nice to me, Barbara -- especially with no AC.  It is in the low 90's here, but the relative humidity isn't high at all.  So nice on my walk this morning -- cool, but not cold.  Glad you took some time to get things done for yourself and picked up the groceries.  Where will you be in Colorado and New Mexico?  

I don't think Jo Ann is forgetting to eat, but I don't think she enjoys cooking or eating that much.  

Hopefully, I didn't order too many Euros.  I will need to pay for several meals on the tour.  Sometimes, I have had trouble finding ATMs on trips for whatever reason, but I did look into the ones affiliated with the bank.  I think the only affiliate they have is in Lake Como, which is the last of the three lakes I will be visiting.  Maybe I won't need more money or will be able to hold out to then.  I also added a "PIN" number to the credit card I am taking since the tour guide said it is sometimes needed overseas.

Of course, I have not traveled overseas in over six years, and not to Italy since 2000, so things may be very different now.

The senior lunch program went pretty well, but the reporter from the newspaper who interviewed me came back to take a picture of me and my volunteer buddy.  Sounds good, but ended up being a bit complicated.  First, I got the impression the reporter was not thrilled to make the second trip.  Also, she had definite ideas about what she wanted in the photo.  Basically, she wanted us to do something (serve the food at the table) that we do not do.  And, she insisted that I make up a salad with items based on color (some I don't enjoy eating).  My buddy is a very sensitive person, and really bristled at being ordered around.  Anyway.......

The gym went okay -- my new workout takes longer than the old one.

Hope all is well at your house, Claudia.  And, you, R, and your furbabies are feeling okay.

Sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda