Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of October 9

Barbara, I am very glad you and V will not be travelling during the big storm. Much better to stay put and wait it out. Also glad Sydnie is doing well with the after school change.

The teachers strike is still going full steam. Tuesday night they came closer to agreement but the next meeting is the 19th. Monday was a school board meeting with a very large teacher presence. Unfortunately a good number booed people speaking in favor of the district and turned their backs on the person explaining the budget. You have a very strong school district and a very strong union butting heads.

I spoke with Whit the other night. In one sentence she said sil was a great parent. Yet a few sentences later she said he was violent. I did tell her the boys were the most important thing but was brushed off. I just refused to argue but told my point of view and said we loved her. She sees no need to move her VA counseling appointment up which concerns me. I also have a suspicion that a "friend" she is staying with is influencing her to a certain extent. With Whit what you see is what you get. She puts on no act. That can be a strength but also a weakness because she takes others at face value.

Plus she is getting a lot of attention from this person and advice.

Adam then called and had the same gut feeling and said sil was never violent. Sil is upset but trying to provide stability for the boys while giving her the space she wants.

R is off to hunting camp. As he left he assured me he had his cell phone. Nope. I had to run it down to him. Then he couldn't find his wallet. Finely located that in the outhouse at the muzzleloader clubhouse.

Mama Boots weighed in at 15 pounds. Shots are updated. She tried to hide under my arm making g herself as small as possible. Her premise was if I can't see you, you can't see me.

Esteemed Contributor

Good idea not to travel in that weather, Barbara.  Hope your weekend is fine, and the power stays on, etc.  Not the best vacation weather to be sure.

I really don't know what to say about Whit's situation, Claudia.  It sounds like she has a lot to work out, and I hope that time and reflection helps her do make the best decision.  Like you, I am concerned about the boys, but hope that they will be okay.  Being a "grand" certainly has its upsetting moments.  Of course, the same is true about being a Mom.  

That is one big cat.  Funny image of her trying to hide away.  R seems to forget things pretty regularly.  Glad you could help him.

The local fire department had their annual pancake breakfast for the community today -- no charge, and very good.  I walked up there and made it pretty soon after they opened at 7:00.  Walked back home, and quickly got ready for class (decision-making).  Then, I visited DH.  They had donuts, and were listening to music.  Then, they sang happy birthday to one of the ladies.  The hospice nurse was supposed to come at 11:00, but it was 12:15 or so before she made it.  I fed DH lunch, and then both of us had a piece of the tasty birthday cake (carrot).  

I had my "church directory" session this afternoon, and I ended up buying some prints.  They will be touching them up, and I am hoping for the best.  I wore a royal blue Whisper knit turtleneck to cover some of my neck ugliness, which was a pretty good idea.  Hate spending money on something like this, but......

Plan to go back to fed DH dinner soon.  "Larry" (another resident) was out of control yesterday afternoon, and he had gone into the bedroom of one of the ladies four nights.  And, the night before last, he was actually on her bed.  She was frightened that he would return, and vowed to sleep in her clothes.  I asked this morning, and one of the caregivers stayed in the room with him all night, and they also gave him some medicine.  He was better today.  I also asked the lady's husband, and he said he took her home last night.  And, he is planning to move her home for good next week or so.  Apparently, she is much better than she was -- the hospice chaplain said they really thought she was about to pass any day a few months ago when she was in a nursing home.  Miracles do happen.

DH seems to be doing fine -- he loves having me visit.

Hope both of you sleep well!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Free pancakes is a nice start to the day, Linda.

Mama is about 3 pounds heavier than last year. Her half feral son is 22 pounds. Not obese just big boned and looking like he's not missed many meals.. it was funny seeing Mama trying to make herself smaller.

Yes, R is more forgetful possibly as a result of the cancer treatment and he's been very tired. I remember that from the last time the cancer returned. He's also quite frustrated over the loss of strength in his right hand.

It is wonderful the lady has improved enough to go home. I.e. is a great color for you, Linda. I remember a  Christmas photo taken with your grandchildren and you had a blue dress.

It is a relief to you that your DH is doing well.

I got an email reminder of tomorrow's appointment to recycle the paint and computer accessories. I decided to wait till morning to load 30 years accumulation of paint cans into the trunk. Note to self- make sure those lids are on tight. I also have a bag of clothes to drop off at the Salvation Army. I persuaded R to get rid rid of jeans that are too big. He thought he might hang onto them in case he went up a size.

Respected Contributor

V and I are our new condo...2 bedrooms so a little bigger. It is windy and rainy outside. The brunt of the storm will hit a little later. 

I am am doing lots of knitting and reading...it is too windy to walk outside, but I did go a bit to get some coffee earlier.

Claudia...it sounds as if whit has a big negative influence in her life currently. M used to be that way, but when she got into legal trouble, I think she learned her lesson. School district strikes can be so nasty...hope yours is resolved soon. Did you get the paint dropped off

Respected Contributor

Got interrupted by a phone call from syd.

linda...that pancake breakfast sounded yummy. I made buttermilk pancakes from scratch a couple of weeks ago and they were yummy.

too bad that one patient causes so much trouble...But there are those with dementia who have behavioral issues. Thank goodness dh is not one. Is your foot better??!

enjoy your day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard about "your" storm on the national news, Barbara.  What are the chances you would be there when that happened.  Sounds like you are making the best of the situation.  Please stay safe.  

Hope you got rid of all that paint, Claudia.  I can't imagine that many cans of extra paint.  you had.  I had tons since I moved here nine years ago.  Fingers crossed Whit is able to get through her issues okay.  It is a shame she has those negative influences around.  Thanks for your comments about the color I picked for the picture.  

When I left DH yesterday evening, Larry was pretty mad at me.  He thought I was his wife and kissing another guy.  He is still a problem, and the caregiver was telling me that she thinks he needs 24-hour care.  A lady here asked me to drop her off at home, and the caregiver said she asked her to take her home as well.  Apparently, her son is out-of-town.

DH seems to be doing okay today, maybe a little off.  I will be feeding him lunch soon.  

His DD has purchased airline tickets so they (whole family) can come for a visit before Christmas.  Arriving the 21st  and leaving Christmas Eve.  They will be staying in a motel and renting a car, and may take a day trip someplace.  It will be nice to have company for the holidays.

Not much exciting going on here.  Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- yes, my foot is better, but still not perfect.  At least I am able to stand on it easier when I get up.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Lol about poor Larry. It sounds like he needs more care. Since you aren't going to DD's this winter, it will be nice to have some company for the holiday, Linda.

I loaded up the paint and stain this morning. I thought I was done but found 5 more cans behind the furnace. It was supposed to be by appointment only but when I got there 20minutes early there was a huge line. The paint is gone now except for a few cans I kept for touch up. Most of the cans recycled were old and rusted. I was very glad to get rid of them but it was expensive at $1.25 per pound. If they have this event again we should only have a couple cans to recycle instead of 30 years worth.

I dropped a bag of clothes at the Salvation Army bin, picked up grain free dog treats, then dropped off a few things at GoodWill. After I got home I remembered the vet had called Griff's renewal into Wal-Mart so back I went. I was horrified to hear it priced at $270+. The vet had specified tablets instead of capsules and 90 days. Luckily she had hours till noon as by that time it was 11:30. I got through on the phone and she changed it to capsules and a 30 day supply. That came to $24. Whew.

Barbara, the storm was mentioned in my paper. I haven't had the tv on since R left for camp.

I see there's two estate sales Thursday. I am still searching for side tables.