Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of October 9

It has been a lovely day here with temperatures in the low 70's. R had his senior bowling and was upset his last two games were poor. The lack of muscle between his thumb and forefinger is more of a problem.not being able to grip tools and utensils well let alone bowling bal ls infuriates him. He's calmed down a bit now. Skipping breakfast and having asmall lunch is a very bad idea for him.

Barbara, I hope your flight was good and the headache not too bad. I'm sure Sydnie and Pepper did well after school.

Linda, R hangs on to things too "just in case".  I found another basket of his clothes. He is going to have to part with some.

I talked briefly with Adam last night. Sil and W have been having arguments. The election and things said recently in the election have upset her and brought back past history. Last night sil had had enough of drama and said to get out. I'm presuming she didn't and tempers cooled as I did not get a phone call. Still I spent a good portion of the night worrying.

Supper is nearly ready. I tried a new (to me) meatloaf recipe. Hope it turns out. Kittens have been getting hold of R's cleaning brushes for his muzzleloader and rolling them down the steps where Griff gets hold of them. I caught him with one in his mouth. They have metal bristles and hurt my fingers. I don't know how he could stand to carry it in his mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about Whit and your SIL.  This election has caused a lot of upset.  Really looking forward to it being over.  Hope that things have calmed down for them.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately things haven't. She left and is getting an apartment talking separation of 3-6 months. I'm not sure what sil will do. Depending how upset he is he could file for divorce. She felt he didn't respect her and was to focused on himself and not letting her be herself. So there are the boys and Adam smack dab in the middle.

Hope your flight was good.

R is packing up for camp tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh what a mess, Claudia.  I feel badly for everyone involved.  Cyber hugs coming your way.

Respected Contributor

Greetings from windy, stormy Oregon. We are going to have a typhoon like storm for the next couple of days...high winds and rain. We were not planning on doing anything so it will be a good time to hang out. 

My my flight was fine..headache was quite annoying yesterday so I slept on the plane. Poor v got turned around Tuesday night driving from Washington to Portland. He went quite a ways out of his way. Of course he would not use the gps on his phone. Yikes.

sydnie did fine after school yesterday.

claudia. Sorry to hear about whit and sil.maybe they will figure things out. We do not discuss the election with our kids. I hope she calls you. 

Sydnie asked me if elections were always this bad.😁

Linda, good you found some good shoes...I love Skechers go walks...change out my shoes every year. Hope your ear straightens up. And I am happy that dh is perk g up. That must make you happy.

enjoy your day.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Glad you made it to Oregon okay, Barbara, but I'm sorry about your headache yesterday and the weather.  While it is fine to hang out indoors, I prefer getting outside in a beautiful place.  Guess it is not all that beautiful in a typhoon.  What a shame about V going out of his way so far.  Probably didn't change his mind about using the GPS, I suppose.  Good for Syd -- I knew she would do well on her own.

I agree with Barbara, Claudia.  Hope W calls, and things improve there.  I vaguely remember that she and your SIL were separated once before, correct?  Probably best not to talk election stuff since it is such a volatile subject.  I know that my DD and SIL don't always agree, and I think one of the boys is on the conservative side and the other is much more liberal.  

My Mom was a Republican (and her family came to DC due to her Father getting a job with the Harding administration), but Dad was a Democrat who loved FDR.  He did not vote since he said that their votes would just cancel each other out.  LOL  Speaking of voting, it looks like youngest DGS (age 18) probably will not be able to vote since he may not be able to get an absentee ballot (didn't think ahead), and DD said no way they will drive down there and back a couple of times just so that he can vote.  What a shame.

Yesterday was a very good one with DH.  He was happy to see me when I went back in the afternoon and fed him dinner.  I brought some croissants for his breakfast, and I hope they gave him one this morning.  The "problem" caregiver was back, but pretty quiet and subdued.  And everyone seems to be aware of how to handle DH getting up and down.  He is responding quite well.  Needless to say, I am a very happy camper. 

I will go to the gym this morning, and come home for lunch before going to class (British mysteries).  Visiting DH late this afternoon when the hospice nurse should be arriving.

Hope that you and R are doing okay, Claudia, and your dogs and cats are behaving.  Also hope you have a good day, Barbara, and that you have a chance to relax and take it easy.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

just butting in ladies!

Crphs (I may have that wrong but don't have your post to refer too..) I am so very sorry about your daughter...and while you were not explicit..I could very well read between the lines..and I am sending her cyber hugs..to all women out there...that has been my main upset over this whole election. I don't care if people have difference of opinions on social programs, taxes, etc..but when it comes to justfying the outright abuse of women and being chalked up and laughed off as "locker-room banter.." it is very upsetting to me.  I have 30 years in mental health and if anybody had a inkling what this type of trauma does to women (and men) for the rest of their lives..the old saying..walk a mile in my shoes...or by the Grace of God Go I.....so true..

I work in Mental Health (as I am very vocal about..)_ and my issue with my female cousin is this subject..anybody else she would be all over it..but bcause she is basically a closet racist about certain minorities...whether she admits it or not..this is getting a pass from her..and oh no..I told them I need a break from you on FB..I am not unfriending but unfollowing. You have a right to believe what you wish..but I have that right not to read about the condoning and justifying of the abuse of women PERIOD..

I see the trauma women have on a daily basis...as rape vicitms, molestation, even verbally seekual disrespect.. It manifests itself in so many wayys...from  eating disorders, they cut their hair off to look more unattractive and manly...baggy clothes, they bind their chest...they slunch over...everything to go not noticed...and then you have the worst..the cutting so they feel the pain externally and not internal...it is horrible to see this and it never goes away...they may pull themselves out for awhile but it is always there..the PTSD will reappear at times like this..and while I don't presume to know their marriage and problems..,the support system needs to be just that and if it isn't..well you see what happens...no we cannot expect somebody who hasn't walked a mile their shoes to get it..but because you love somebody and want to be there for them...you try...

My other issue ...is ...all the other normal issues we see aside in the political arena..women need to have each others' backs...they need to not knock them down when they are down...they need to stick together..you say/do it to one....you are speaking to all..  If a spouse cheats...that is on the marriage...let them figure it out...but in the case of abuses against women...the blatant disrespect for all women in general...not going to repeat what was said..about his own children, conduct towards wives etc..we all have had that dead horse beat these past few days..but please let your daughter know that most women...(I hope tht is true..) is understanding...knowswe got their back...knows they have done nothing wrong.....it isn't fair by any stretch...

I hope they can work on their marriage and some counseling and therapy to get your SIL to understand where she is coming from...but then can she forgive and move past??

what she has endured and while it may be xxxx years ago and xxx she has been thru....it is always in your mind..and no matter what ...they always second guess themselves...if i did this..or that..wore this or that instead...took this route..etc..but that is what happens..they want the victim to do that.. the victim gets blamed...Also, so hard not to worry...and we do as pareants..regardless of age..especially times like this!!!

So hugs to both of you!!

Respected Contributor

Lindalatte...

GOOD for you...for speaking up about the caregiver..Sorry if she was quiet but that is her job..and YOUR husband..and that is his new home..and you have every right to discuss any issues that come up and you are not happy with.

I  am so glad you are able to go so often...that is the great thing with you living so close...they also will know that you are on top of things..that you are there and watchful..They will all come to understand that you are suportive..you live close..you come as often as you can..and you expect nothing but the best of care...as you should...there will be little things to iron out as you go along but you seem to be doing a great job of it...and he seems to adjusted - which is great!!

Keep your positive attitude and I am happy for you that you get the best of both worlds...you can spedn time with him ..come/go as you wish..and by them not having set hours...you can pop in...speaks good..as if they didn't...well!

Just wanted to give you a few words too while I had a moment before the craziness begins!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Barbara, much easier to be inside looking out at the nasty weather. I hope by now the headache is history. Poor V driving miles out of his way. Even with GPS R gets in a panic at a wrong turn. Fortunately I've been there to say "turn in here and wait for it to recalculate". Sometimes gps doesn't help at all. We were in Ohio and an exit was closed. GPS kept rerouting us to that exit. I had to tell R to ignore gps and head west instead of east on the the route we needed then turn around at the next exit.

Linda, I'm so glad DH had a great day and it's wonderful you're able to visit so often.

Thank you for your input Coupon Queen. They actually divorced when older gs was about 2 years then remarried a couple years later. She has past issues. One including a teacher who was transferred school to school as complaints were made. We pulled her out of the school system and she finished school at a local private school. Finally enough pressure was put on that the teacher resigned.  I do think it helped in our dealings that I was not easily intimidated. I grew up with many teachers being family friends and my grandfather was the former hs principal in the 50's. The VA is providing ptsd counselling for an incident in the service. Sil also is seeing the VA. My biggest worry is the boys. who are 7 and 12. Last week all was well then this came up out of the blue seemingly. I know though it must have been lurking in the background. Most likely the stress of driving to and from college 4 hours a day, 5 days a week last year and trying to maintain family life didn't help.

It is cool but sunny here. R was to head to hunting camp but had a bad night. The lupron shot has taken all his energy. Griffin walks over to his recliner every so often and nudges him. Any encouragement and he would climb up.

Tomorrow Miss Boots gets her shots updated. Wish me luck putting her in the cat carrier. Saturday the county is holding a recycling event for paint. I have 30 years worth of paint in the basement to contribute.

Respected Contributor

The weather is most interesting here. This morning, there was a tornado touchdown about 40 miles south of here..rare for a coastal area. Tomorrow is tye big storm. No travel is recommended so we are able to stay here. Will have to change to a different condo, but that is no problem. I would rather be safe than be on the road in a huge storm.

we went and got enough food to last us through the weekend. It will be interesting...last night the power went out for a while.

Claudia...hope you have been able to talk to whit.  It sounds as if she has been under a lot of stress.i can only imagine how hard this is on you.maybe she can get some assistance from her va counselor. (((((Hugs))))$

syd and pepper seem to be doing fine with the new schedule.

Linda, how pleased you must be with Howell dh is going. I am sure that you are more relaxed also.

hope you both have a great day.