Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of October 13

That is hot, Barbara.  It is supposed to get up to 91 degrees here, but was cool on my walk.  As I mentioned on the other thread, I did sleep better last night, but still only slept until 4:00 a.m.  The landscaper was here by the time I got back from my walk, and was just finishing up when I got back from my mammogram.  Hope I don't get any scares like your girls, Barbara.

I had a call from a lawyer for one of the caregivers who worked at DH's place.  She was accused of hurting Larry (other patient), and was suspended and never came back.  This all happened so long ago I wasn't sure that I could remember anything, but it is starting to come back.  The lawyer said she would like to send her investigator down to interview me.  Anyway, I must admit that I am very curious.  

I also was contact by a former work colleague who wanted to know about Road Scholar trips.  She was interested, but had not been on one.

Those produce sales are always tempting, Barbara.  Hope you feel better soon. I'm sure the heat doesn't help.  

DD said it was raining heavily in her area, so she went to the gym very early.  Hopefully, I will be going to the gym soon.  I still have a lot to do around here, but I have made some progress and even put out some of  my Fall decorations.  Not that I have that many, but I do love Fall.

Hope you are doing okay today, Claudia and so is R.  You always keep busy with appointments, etc.

My hospice patient's son is happy to have me visit on Saturday afternoon, which pleases me.  He was pretty funny on the phone (asking me about my trip, etc.)

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..if you have never been interviewed for a case like you described , my suggestion is be very careful.  I was deposed several,times when I was a principal and the district lawyers reminded me to be very factual and not give a lot of detal. I am sure you will be asked. I'd she was a good worker . Do not t out any evaluation into it. Yes and no were my favorite answers.

you could be called as a potential witness for her.

apologies if you already know this..also meet in a neutral place like a coffee shop. You will probably be recorded. Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I will be recorded.  And, thanks for your advice, Barbara.  I remember being told (can't remember when) to keep answers as short and to the point as possible. That was something I had to do when talking to reporters, etc. when I was working.  

I am not even sure when this incident happened, but probably in 2017 or early 2018, or who they are suing.  I remember talking to the director (who was later fired himself), and he said that they had to call the police since abuse was alleged.    

I had thought they could do it at my house, but I will probably suggest going to a coffee shop  I was a bit uncomfortable about him/them (investigator and lawyer) coming to the house.  They are supposed to call back with a date and time.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't be comfortable being interviewed in my home either, Linda. I hope it can be done elsewhere. 

It rained pretty heavily during the day but has stopped. 

Waiting impatiently for Adam to arrive. 3 1/2 years is too long. Hopefully Griffyn remembers him. He was a bit over a year when Adam left.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad Adam will be visiting you.  I can't believe it has been that long.  Great birthday gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Raising my hand to express another vote for conducting the interview in a public or neutral place.  I remember you speaking (well writing) about Larry. 

It's been a long time and you can't remember what you can't remember.  I suppose if this caregiver worked with your beloved you could speak to that. 

I was interviewed about my team lead many, many years ago when a former employee was trying to sue the company for wrongful dismissal (I think).  I believe I spoke with company lawyers.  I suppose I should have been nervous, but I wasn't.

I have a funny story that I'm sure I can write about now that I am a retiree.  I'll still keep it generic.  It was a hot mess so I'll try to keep it simple.

Sally and Jane made a big whoop about having a department luncheon at a restaurant for Christmas.  Sally took it to a whole 'nuther level by name dropping the company we worked for when she went to different restaurants for 'tastings'.

I responded at the outset that I wasn't interested in going.  They went to a restaurant on a Friday that happened to be my final bereavement day for my mother.  I wasn't even in that city the day of the luncheon.  I was grieving Ma.

I go to work the following Monday and hear about the luncheon.  Didn't wanna go, didn't wanna hear about it either Woman Very Happy

Later that week it's time for the corporate Christmas holiday.  Management tells employees they can leave at one.  I'm Sally's back up because she's on vacation through the new year.  Sally records her out of office message, gives me as a contact and goes to hit the ladies room before hitting the road.

Call bounces from Sally's line to mine - it's the guy that owns the restaurant where they had the Christmas luncheon the week before.  He's upset because the credit card used to pay for the bill was stolen and this guy wants me to do something.  Remember Sally was the taste tester and organizer of this event. 

Sally comes back to her desk after 'paying the water bill' and I put the guy on hold.  I tell her what's going on.  She starts crying.  She collected the money for the lunch ahead of time and when one of the attendees John said he's pay the bill with his card if she gave him the cash, she does it.

Sally calls Jane (works with John two floor above where me and Sally sit in the building).  Jane won't take the call, she alerts John, he leaves work.  Sally tells me she's sorry and she leaves me there Woman Surprised with this hysterical guy on the phone.  Hysterical guy from the restaurant is hysterical because the people who rightfully own the credit card are on their way with police.

Everyone on my floor went home early and I'm by myself on the phone with this guy.  After about an hour, I got him to agree to be put on hold so I could run up two flights of stairs to see if John's management was there or if everyone had gone home on that floor.  I found John's manager Jessica, related the story, gave restaurant guy's phone number to Jessica.

I run downstairs, tell restaurant guy to expect a call from Jessica.  On the way home in the car I call restaurant guy to make sure Jessica reached out.  Restaurant guy says I can eat there anytime for life.  I say no thank you and Have a Merry Christmas.

John got fired.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I come back to work after Christmas long weekend.  I get summoned to Labor Relations about 'the incident'.  I have never been summoned to HR or Labor Relations.  I was hot when I hit that door.  When I think about it now, that poor director didn't know how to handle me, lol.

I walked in saying, I was grieving my beloved mother and was nowhere near this city when the incident occurred  and you summon me to Labor Relations like I did something wrong? I looked at the girl with the steno pad and said, I hope you know shorthand.  If not, you better get a tape recorder because I'm going to say this once and that's it. 

The director of Labor Relations told me that the restaurant guy sang my praises because I remained calm and concerned when he was losing it on the phone. 

Till this day I think Sally was in on it.  She and I were never 'straight' after that. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

That is some story, Bernie.  Sounds like a good idea for one of those crime TV shows.  

DH was in one of  ten  buildings that had ten or fewer residents -- with two caregivers during the day and one overnight.  Since I visited DH at least once a day most of the time he was there, I got to know some of the other residents and the caregivers pretty well.  I observed how the accused Caregiver and the one who reported the abuse interacted with DH and some of the others (including Larry) when they were in the "great room" with the big TV, kitchen, etc.   DH spent much of his waking hours there rather than in his room..

But, as you said, I don't know what I don't remember.  And, I don't want to swear to something that I'm not sure is true. 

Honored Contributor

I know my story sounds like something from a soap opera or crime show and if I hadn't lived through it I wouldn't have believed it either Woman Frustrated

Another interesting tidbit of my story.  I overslept the day I was summoned to Labor Relations.  I was running about 30 minutes behind.  When I arrived to work that morning my co-workers kept asking me if I saw Sally.  I said why would I see Sally, she's on vacation until after the New Year.  Well, Labor Relations had summoned her from vacation for a command appearance in the morning (I didn't get summoned until the afternoon) and she was running around trying to find out what the restaurant guy said, what I said and what happened.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (he he he).  If she did nothing wrong she should have taken the call and handled it.  Instead she cried, said she was sorry and left me.  I was so glad I that I overslept that morning.  Labor Relations told me do not talk about this, ever.  After the New Year, I was asked about what happened by Sally and Sally's buddies (when I wouldn't tell her).  All I would say is that was 2010, we're in 2011 and I don't want to talk about the past.

@LindaLatte  so much time has elapsed that I doubt anyone's memory is that clear.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I am on my way out in a few minutes...have a lunch date.

Linda..the more I think about your interview, the more I think you should decline it.YOU WERE AN ABSERVER, NOT PART OF THE STAFF...YOU MIGHT GET PULLED INTO SOMETHING YOU DO NOT EANT TO BE INVOLED IN.

sorry about the caps.

Claudia..I am so glad that Adam made it ..enjoy his visit.

🍁🍁🍁

Respected Contributor

I hope you enjoyed the lunch date, Barbara.

it's been damp and chilly here. Adam is meeting up with a friend and R is bowling.

We decided to board Griff while Adam was home. Griff was a bit better around Adam today but still grumbling and pulling on his sleeve. I think if Adam had visited each year he would remember  him. 3 1/2 years is a long time though. Instead he grumbles and thinks Adam shouldn't be here. R dropped me at pt and took Griff to the kennel at the groomers early afternoon. Better than crating him at home or Adam not able to move around the house freely.

Tip may benefit by some one on one attention.