Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of June 2

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope the dental visit went okay, Claudia.  Glad things are going well with Adam, and he is happy with his new truck.  Good that the boys got to see their Dad, and I hope the custody hearing goes okay.  

Congratulations to Syd, Barbara.  Glad you are not trying to do too much. Your weather sounds since.  Hot and dry here, and they are predicting our first 100 degree days next week.

I think that the hospice I volunteer for doesn't restrict visits when the patient is "active".  But, the volunteer coordinator had not heard about her status before my visit.  I do think that I am a comfort to her husband, and he needed someone to be there so he could go to the doctor on Monday.

I didn't do too well with my OLLI yoga class == perhaps not the worst in the class, but close.  But, I guess I will go to the other three classes and hope that I catch on a bit more.  I have tried yoga in the past, and it has never been a good fit for me. So many of my friends love it. 

The senior lunch program went well -- the other volunteer was nice and I got out earlier than normal.  

DD is very happy that her new door and storm door are installed. 

Nothing exciting planned here.  I got rid of the patio umbrella that had dry rotted, and now I have decided to get rid of the chairs that are flaking away from the sun.  I bought one new resin chair, and I may look for a couple more.  I don't often sit outside on the patio since I have such a nice Arizona room.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

The dental visit went ok but R had trouble trying to drink his coffee as he was still numb. Drinking water didn't work much better. We had stopped for brunch at Eat N Park.  The rain caught up with us at Wegmans. I drove slower than usual due to the danger of hydroplaning.

Once home Tip helped herself to an ice cube tray R didn't refill right away. I caught her parading around with it. We also caught her chewing on the back porch. Arghh!

Linda, even when mother was "active" hospice volunteers would sit with her. I'm sure you are great help to the lady's husband. Your DD must be so pleased that the doors are now installed.

I'm afraid I wouldn't do very well with yoga and that was true even before my joints acted up. Total klutz here.

Congratulations to Syd, Barbara. I picked up some flowering plants to put out front. I left it rather late so there wasn't much choice unfortunately.

I didn't sleep well last night so I hope I sleep better tonight. If course getting up at 5 didn't help. 7 is more my speed.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon...I went out to try a new pedicure salon and found that I needed an appointment. I could have called but it was on my way to do some other errands. So I am set for tomorrow morning.

our weather is turning warmer..highs in the upper 80s with humidity. The ceiling fan still works well so no ac yet. 

Linda..I am sure you are a comfort to your hospice patients husband. And yo her. As I said I admire you very much.,, I hope you like yoga enter..it is something I did for many years and still do on occasion...I love the stretching and breathing.Keep working at it. Have you ever tried Pilates@... I am sure dd is enjoying her new door.

Claudia..glad that sil got to see his boys. And great news on Adams new job. That Tippy is one busy puppy. 

Respected Contributor

The cursor disappeared..gotta love the iPad..lol

hopeyou slept better last night. Claudia

have a great day. 

Btw..we vivted the Normandy Memorial when we were in France. It was very moving.

🌺🌺

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you got some rest last night, Claudia.  Tip certainly is an active puppy.  

Sorry you needed an appointment for the pedicure, Barbara.  At least you have one for tomorrow.  It is pretty hot here now -- highs in the upper 90's, but they keep saying we are slightly below normal (probably 100).  Supposedly, we will have at least several 100 degree days starting on Monday.

I couldn't understand why it was still hot in the house yesterday evening, and I found that my automatic thermostat had lost an hour or more when we had the power outage the other day.  I was quick to re-set the clock when I figured that out.

I used to have one of those Pilates machines that Q sells, Barbara.  I enjoyed it very much, but it didn't make the cut when we moved.  I think I would prefer Pilates over yoga, but they did not offer it in OLLI, and the classes around here are not inexpensive while my OLLI classes don't cost anything extra (yearly fee).

Army DGS has decided to take some money (couple of thousand dollars) he is getting back from the Army (sort of a Thrift Savings Plan) and use it for a downpayment on a used car.  This will make it possible for him to establish credit by making car payments, and youngest DGS will have a car to use (Army DGS vehicle).  I think it is a good idea.

I'm off to a Caregivers lunch now, and then will have a Caregivers meeting and possibly coffee after the meeting.  I made a couple of banana breads that I'll be dropping off at the senior lunch program and day services.  Depending on how I feel, I may go to the gym after the Caregivers activities.

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good thing you found why the house was so hot, Linda. I'm sure you have some 100° days coming up. It sounds like Army DGS has a good plan. I'm sure youngest DGS

will be delighted with a car to use.

R fixed the downspout near the back porch. I think it's only a temporary fix though. The big ladder wasn't practical so he used the step ladder on the porch. However he had to work left handed because the wall of the back room was at that end of the porch. At one point he had both feet on the railing and was going to lean out and around until I made him get down. Sheesh.

Barbara, I hope you'll be pleased with your pedicure tomorrow. I picked up a hanging plant today when I went out to get milk. Next year I'll try to remember to buy earlier when there's a better selection.

The VA clinic told R there's no need for follow-up on the bone scan as everything is "fine". However he still can't walk far and has the pain around the hip area. So he needs to decide what to do.

Tip is happily strutting around looking for trouble.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it maybe warm enough to turn on the ac today but v has to get the covering off first. 

I tried a newpedicur salon...more upscale but very clean..and they did an excellent job. Syd and I just returned from getting her garden plants..everything was st least 30% off and the plants were big, so it was successful. She is happy.

Linda..it sounds like a good idea for army dgs to get a car. I am sure your dd will be happy.,our kids all had cars by the time they graduated from high school..It was a neccisity. I hope you are having a good day.

linda, how many steps do you get with your Fitbit. ??? Syd gets at least that because she never sits still and is either walking, dancing or generally moving around.

claudia, Glad rs bone scan did not show anything. 

Have a great day 🌸🌸

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Glad you like the new pedicure place, Barbara.  Nice that you were able to get some nice plants for Syd's garden.  

Glad R's bone scan didn't show anything that needed follow-up, Claudia.  But, I hope R can get some pain relief for his hip area.  Also hope R is doing okay today, and your furbabies are not giving you too many issues.

Yesterday was very busy since I did go to the gym after the Caregiver's coffee (in my case, ice cream), and then stopped by the grocery store since I was out of milk.  Very tired by the time I got home.

This morning I got out early for my walk since I had to have blood work done for my physical next Friday.  Fortunately, the technician was good and efficient, so I made it home in time to eat some breakfast and made it to my OLLI strong bones class.  

My hospice patient passed away this morning.  Of course, it was expected, but still sad.  Her daughter called me to let me know, but I had already heard from the hospice coordinator.  Her daughter and one of the sons will be there until Sunday night, and I will try calling her husband next week, and possibly visit with him if he likes.  

Youngest DGS has had respiratory issues for a while, and thought it was due to allergies (he has lots of allergy problems).  The doctor found his lung capacity is very low and sent him for an x-ray, prescribed medication, and set up an appointment for next week.  She told him no exercise, etc.  Hopefully, he will get through this okay.  She said that if he is not better, she will probably send him to the hospital.  So, DD and I hope he will follow orders.  She put him on steroids, so he isn't feeling any pain at the moment.

In answer to your question, Barbara, my FitBit totals vary.  They had been higher, but I decided all that walking was causing some of my knee pain.  I think my average is about 25,000 steps a day at this point.  I try to get 250 steps every hour for 11 or 12 hours, but that doesn't work out if I'm in class, church, etc.  I'm sure Syd gets more than enough exercise, which is a good thing.

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, I'm sad to hear about your hospice patient. Such a difficult thing for her family. It's very kind of you to touch base with her husband next week.

I hope youngest DGS follows orders and starts feeling better quickly.

it was a nice sunny day for a change. It did not take long to replace the passenger side mirror.  I briefly spoke with my neighbor across the street. Her family just replaced the front steps and added a railing. Her daughter brought her 2 kittens to keep her company. She's busy with doctor visits and bladder cancer treatmentsand going to a nursing home about 45 minutes away. She didn't say and I didn't have time to ask but I think her husband is now there. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 2 years ago. They're both our age.

Barbara, I'm glad you're happy with the pedicure and the search for Sydnie's plants was successful.

Imo I think there should be some follow up after the bone scan results. R still can't walk easily. The report itself recommended some follow-up.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I have developed a nasty cough and do not feel,super. I will watch this because respiratory infections are a side effect of my biologic. I slept a bit this afternoon..it is still warm and humid and the ac is humming. 

Linda..hope dgs gets better soon..breathing stuff can be scary.ihave been on prednisone when I had pneumonia and it does help. As I said, I am sure you were a comfort to your hospice patient. Hope your weather is not too hot.

Claudia..I would think the va would appropriate follow up on rs bone scan. Are you having a nice weekend?.

i need to do some prep for supper...v will grill chicken.

Have a good rest of the day.💖💖