Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of June 2

Good morning..it looks like it is going to be another lovely day. M and S are at her talent agency for part of the day. I have nothing planned but showing Syd where to plant my flowers. I picked up a cherry tomato plant at Cost onyested day for half of what I would pay at a nursery.

my knees and legs are really painful today so I do not plan on doing too much. 

I willnread your posts later. 

🌺🌺🌸

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of June 2

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  Sorry about your painful knees and legs.  Hope your tomato plant bears lots of fruit.  One of my buddies is trying to grow a container vegetable garden here.  I have thought about it, but I know the growing season tends to be short due to our extremely hot and sunny weather.  It doesn't hurt that I can get some very nice Mexican tomatoes for a reasonable cost.  That may change due to new legislation which favors domestic tomatoes.

It is hot and sunny here.  I plan to go to the gym and the widows group today.  Nothing else of note.

Unfortunately, "my" hospice patient has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.  I will be surprised if she makes it until July.  She is now in a hospital bed and being given morphine.  I am very sad about it, and I really feel for her DH/caregiver.  I'm going to visit her again tomorrow afternoon so that he can go to the doctor.

Hope all is okay with you and yours, Claudia.  I know that many areas have had way too much rain lately.  

Have a good Sunday!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. On a positive note, I am pretty much back to normal!  Wish your pain would go away like mine did, Barbara.

Respected Contributor

Linda, I'm sorry to hear your hospice patient is worse. Even if expected it's so very difficult. I was told by mother who was an rn that hearing is the last sense. Even if the patient does not appear conscious it can be a comfort knowing they're not alone.

Not hot and sunny here. It rained a bit earlier. The garbage is out along with the door for pickup tomorrow.

So sorry your knees and legs are hurting, Barbara. It's miserable. I used to grow cherry tomatoes in pots but haven't for several years. That might have to do with certain dogs and their digging.

We have someone coming tomorrow morning to look at the storm windows that weren't taken out when the new kitchen windows were installed.

It's time to let the dogs out one more time and put Tip to bed in her crate. I hope everyone sleeps well.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  They told me about hearing being the last thing to go when DH was dying, Claudia.  I am trying to talk as much as possible.   My patient is still conscious, but certainly not "with it".  She keeps moving her mouth -- sort of like she is actively chewing gum or something.  Her DH had bought some lip gloss, which I hope helps with her dry lips.  She tries to speak sometimes, but her voice is very soft, and she does not make sense.  Certainly not fun.  I hope things go okay on my visit this afternoon.

Also hope your weather isn't too bad today, Claudia, and R and your furbabies are okay.

Hope you are successful in getting M and Syd to keep the clutter down a bit, Barbara.  It must be difficult to live with that when you are in to the minimalist lifestyle.  Hope your pain isn't too bad today.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I successfully put together a storage cabinet for the bathroom (to go in the place where the small refrigerator had been), but in the process of re-organizing I managed to break a bottle of olive oil in the kitchen, and the oil went everywhere.  I've been working on getting the mess up since mopping it several times still left some slick spots.  Yikes!  

DD's new front door should be installed tomorrow, and I knew she is excited.  She will be getting the new sofas and ottoman in a couple of weeks. Actually, that isn't too bad, but I'm sure she will be happy when the furniture is in place.

Hope both of you have a nice day and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..

i definitely overdid the stairs today...I am going to use hemp cream and some extra strength Tylenol....I do not want a pain pill.😖

I try to keep the clutter down in our living spaces..The couch is cleared off and syd has started to utilize the baskets I have. That helps a lot. She is a typical messy teen...when my kids were her age, I just shut their bedroom doors.

She has a print shoot next week for something here...I think they are ready for teen girls.

Linda..when I have spilled olive oil, I findcsprinkling rice helps clean it up. It absorbs tye oil. Good luck with your hospice patient..when my mom was dying , we had music in the background and I talked, sang her favorite songs or read psalms to her. 

I need to to figure out something for supper. I ate more at my brothers but not a lot.

enjoy your day. 🥰

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yikes on the olive oil spill, Linda. I hope Barbara's suggestion helps. I bet your DD is excited the new door will be installed.

I still need to figure what's for dinner, Barbara. Nothing appeals to me. I'm glad you had a better appetite at your brother's.

The old storm windows are now off. The owner of the company came this morning. There will need to be some work done on the windows looking into the back porch. There is a gap at the top. Meanwhile I took some bubble wrap and stuffed it in the gap to keep the bugs out.

I haven't accomplished a lot today. I did take Tip out back and found if I threw the ball she'd bring it back to me. I stood on the blacktop probably longer than I should have. Once she was in the house I caught her standing at the kitchen sink taking the sink strainer.  Never a dull moment.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is warm and a little humid..but the ceiling fan is good enough. Today was grocery run day..I am still recovering..lol.

i finished clearing out the last of my clothes..I have 4 beautiful wool sweaters from Ireland (not the q), and Norway. I will never wear them again, so I am going to try Amazon marketplace.neither m nor Amie can wear wool. 

Syd has 2 days of school left...m has herpretty busy with danc, tae kwando and her modeling, so we will not have to do too much. I think we are going to play bridge a couple of times a week.

Claudia..I think days of rest are a good thing..

Linda..how did tye have spice visit go ?  You are busy with your lunch job today.

Have a good rest of the day.🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Hope both of you are feeling better this afternoon/evening.  Glad you got your grocery shopping done, Barbara.  I hope you have good luck selling those nice sweaters.  Wonder if you should wait for cooler weather?  Obviously, I am not a saleswoman.

Hope Tip isn't giving you too much trouble today, Claudia.  DD's contractor could not come today -- hopefully, the door will be installed tomorrow.  She is sympathetic, but really wants this done.

The senior lunch program was a little messy today since more people showed up than signed up for lunch.  And, it turned out that we got extra food since the adult day services got our smaller order and we got theirs.  I will be helping out with the salad bar tomorrow, but not until after my OLLI yoga class.  Not sure if I'll be able to handle yoga class, but at least this one isn't costing me anything.

As you may have read on the other thread, my hospice visit yesterday was difficult.  The hospice nurse was there and told us (her DH and I) that she was "active" -- actively dying.  She is anxious, so the nurse was starting her on anti-anxiety medicine every two hours in addition to the morphine.  After the nurse and her husband left, I spent time with her -- mostly trying to help sooth her and try to help her relax.  Not an easy job.  The hospice caregiver came and gave her a bed bath, and I can only say that she is emaciated.  Both the nurse and the caregiver were very nice and kind to her.

Her husband is trying to keep going, but I know that he is suffering a lot.  I asked about their five children, and he said they know about their Mom.  The nurse told me that they were planning to come for Father's Day, but she let them know the situation (their Mom will probably pass sooner).  Her husband asked me to call later in the week to see about my regular visit next Saturday, and I'll do that unless I hear something before then.  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

What a tough situation, Linda. I hope the anti-gay anxiety medicine helps the patient. It's too bad none of the 5 children live close by.

We're off to the VA early tomorrow morning for R's dental appointment. 

Last night Adam called. His training has started and he also got the pay raise. Once training is done there'll be another raise. His truck is now paid for. I think it's a 2002. He and our former sil looked at it and decided it was going to need a lot of work soon. He ended up purchasing a newer Chevy Colorado and is very happy with it.

Our former sil was finally able to see the boys as a "reunification meeting" was set up. Both boys were glad to see him. The hearing is later this month. I hope it works out so that custody is back to 50/50 but who knows.

Barbara, I'm still trying to organize my clothes but it's not or miss. I can only do a bit at a time.

Tippy is her usual mischievous self. She stole R's tea bag and ate it. Smh.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon.

this is another perfect day weather wise. We had some storms last night, but nothing severe.

i am not doing too much today....I am working on a shawl so have been knitting off and on. Syd has a meeting with a local agent here this afternoon.this is her 3rd rep for this area. She finishes 8th grade tomorrow. She received her Presidential award yesrday..one of 25 in her class of 600. It is framed and proudly displayed.

Linda...I admire you for being a hospice volunteer. It must be very difficult. My moms hospice did not use volunteers when the patient was actively dying.. it sounds as if you are a comfort to the husband.

Claudia, hope the dental visit goes well. 

Enjoy...🎈🎈