Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of July 11

I decided to restart the thread with the correct date. I saw my cardiologist on the correct date this morning...no changes which is good. V3 and the kids should arrive mid afternoon. We are due for some serious thunderstorms later today.

i figured out meals with amies help. I made a pot roast in the crockpot yesterday...haven't had one of those in a very long time.

i hope your days are going well.. Enjoyed the pic of bo and gryff on FB, claudia. They are big dogs..lol

i will be back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of July 11

Glad you had good news from the cardiologist, Barbara.  Hope the thunderstorms aren't a problem for you, and the grandchildren/kids visit is a lot of fun.  

I could not find that picture on FB, Claudia.  Maybe it will show up later.  Hope R's appointments go okay, and you aren't too tired afterwards.

Things have been going pretty well today.  DH is very sleepy, but that is normal. His caregiver is going to Hawaii on Saturday, and she will be gone for two weeks.  When she returns, DH will be in the memory care facility.  She asked when he would be coming home, and I said he might stay.  She said it is a really nice place, and they take good care of the residents.  She will probably keep the same schedule when he is there.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but his son called yesterday.  He was able to change DH's accounts in Turkey to his name (he went to DH's Turkish lawyer), which will be a great relief for me.  I broke the news to him about DH going to the facility, and I think he is okay with it.  He did ask about the cost, which surprised me a little.  But, I don't think he objects.  

I called the brokerage today, and they will be sending a check which should cover six months of care, or much of it.  It takes quite a while to get the check, etc., but this should be plenty of time before my trip.  

I also called a volunteer agency to see about getting a ride to the hospital for my colonscopy in August.  They said that it should be possible, and they will also ask for a volunteer to go with me since I will have anesthesia, and they want someone other than the driver to be able to call 911 if necessary.  Extremely nice people, but I feel a little guilty for using the services of two people, especially since it is so early in the morning (I need to be at the hospital by 6:15 a.m.)

My SIL is having his root canal tomorrow, and I think DD is a little stressed about it.  But, it is definitely something he needs.  Everyone else seems to be doing okay.

Our bookclub meeting will be different today -- only three of us, and we are not discussing the same book.  But, I'm looking forward to getting out and seeing my buddies.  The nice caregiver will be here with DH.

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, R had posted the picture on his FB. Because I "liked" it, Barbara saw it. I'll try to see if I can share it. TT who wasn't in the photo is much bigger.

I'm so glad DH's son was able to change the accounts. Hope sil's root canal went well.

We left at 11 this morning and didn't get home til after 7. We ate a late lunch at Cracker Barrel. Then R was hunting for a waterproof mattress that zipped for the mattress in the camper. He checked 3 stores before finding a size that he hopes will work.

It sounds like the volunteer group is very conscientious. Most would just provide transport.

That's great news from the cardiologist, Barbara. Hopefully the thunderstorms will pass over.

3suwm5  Feel free to post on this group too if you wish.

I just made reservations through park sleep fly for the night before we fly to Houston. I asked R what he would rather do and he preferred to be near the airport the night before. If we didn't stay over it would mean leaving here at 4 am. By checking retailmenot I got a 20%discount on the parking portion. Flying home we'll have to leave the hotel for the airport around 3am. Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Claudia -- I did find the picture of two of your dogs on FB.  Nice looking, but way big for me.  Can't imagine how large TT is.  Sorry you had such a long day yesterday -- hope today is not as tiring.  Your plans before the Houston trip sound good.  My flight from Tucson isn't until 9:30 or so, which is great.  But, the flight back is 6:15 a.m. Yikes!  I picked a hotel near the airport, but still....

Also hope things are going well there with your big crowd, Barbara.  And, I hope you are not too achy.

The bookclub was pretty fun despite only being three of us.  The host provided many tasty things to snack on, and her house is very nice.  My buddy who had foot surgery drove.  She is still wearing a "boot", which bothers her.  But, she does not wear it at night. She is doing much better, and I think they will be going to their cabin in Wyoming fairly soon.  

DH slept for two hours after I left, and then wandered around the house for a little while.  The nice caregiver told him where I was, and he sat back down on the sofa and went to sleep until I got home.  She is such a nice young lady -- in college, and hoping/planning to go on to vet school, specializing in large animals like horses and cows.  DH is okay this morning -- not great, but okay.

I have my volunteer job and plan to go to the gym this afternoon.  DH will be at day services, and I hope there are no issues -- fingers crossed.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning. V3 and the kids arrived yesterday afternoon. Vanessa and Vyrn are terrified of tiny pepper. They have a boxer, big lab and a Boston terrier. Yikes.,pepper settled down once they were here for a while. Lol.

Sydnie is at her summer program and v3 and the kids went to the zoo. Amie and her hotly will arrive around dinner time. I need to wash towels and make a grocery store run.

Linda..good that things are coming together for dhs placement. As I said it is helpful that his children are supportive. It is also good that you have someone to help with your colonoscopy drive and pick up. I saw your question about eating for one. I have a cookbook with that title that may be out of print. It was helpful for my mom.hope today goes well for you.

Claudia..what a long day for you yesterday. Good idea to do the park, fly stay.  Would love to see a pic of all  dogs.

i will check back

Respected Contributor

Glad Pepper settled down, Barbara. You certainly have a full house this week.

I found a photo on R's fb of all 3 dogs so posted it. Before we took Bo for his shots, the other 2 dogs got into it. The doorbell rang and R went outside not shutting the sunporch door. All 3 dogs crowded onto the sunporch barking. Since it's been too hot to work on the sunporch (6x10') there wasn't much space. When I got to the living room and called them to me Griff had TT's tail in his mouth and that started it. Bo left the room but was still upset . I've never seen him be so anxious at the vet. Good thing he was the 1st appt. after lunch.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book club, Linda. I hope your buddy gets rid of her boot soon. It sounds like DH just needed reassurance about where you were. Mother didn't worry about where we were but would be upset about various things. She would settle down most times after we would tell her we knew she didn't like this or that. Just affirming her feelings helped.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the picture of the three dogs on FB, Claudia.  Thanks for making that possible.  Sorry that two of them really got into it yesterday.  That would upset me very much.  

When had three dogs (two of mine plus my Mom's) they figured out a way to co-exist.  My Mom's dog did her own thing, and my older dog "took" charge of her younger brother.  He would actually do things for her on demand.  It was pretty funny.  Hope R is okay today and the dogs behave.  

DH is very agreeable most of the time, thank goodness.  Yesterday, he had a good day at day services, and one of the ladies even gave him a manicure (needed).  I had tried to give him one, but only slightly cut the nails on one hand -- he was very nervous.  When I brought him home yesterday, he had a lot of trouble sitting and standing which lasted through the night and this morning.  Fortunately, the caregiver was able to get him up and into and out of the shower.  

I'm enjoying your FB pictures, Barbara.  Looks like the kids are having fun.  Hope your area wasn't hit too hard by the storms.  I guess I should look for recipes for one when I have time.  I have found a lot of recipes on the internet lately.  I know it will be a big adjustment for me when DH is not home, not just the food part.  

My SIL's root canal went well, thank goodness.  And, DD paid the tuition for two of the kids (community college).  I don't think the younger guys tuition is due until August, but I went ahead and transferred the money (529 plan) yesterday.

I have a caregivers meeting at the hospice office this morning -- first time.  Not sure if I'll go there more than once, but maybe.  I really like the other group.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Very hot here, and no rain to help cool us down.  That is unusual for this time of the year.

Respected Contributor

Amie and Vyrn took the kids to  nearby park. They are having a great time together...I posted some pics on FB. Pepper is getting tons of attention...Kaia is always by her. I am so blessed to have these beautiful children in my life.

i wish that I was a little more functional this week. But I do what I can. Lol. Vanessa tells me that I walk the way I do because I am old ..lol.

Claudia...your dogs are beautiful.it is too bad that gryff and tt do not get along as well as you would like.  I had to reassure my mom a lot also. I always lived in the moment with her.

Linda...hope things went well yesterday. It sounds like you have found a very good group of caregivers.

i will check back.

Respected Contributor

Those are great pictures on Facebook, Barbara. Pepper won't know what to do when everyone leaves.

It's been a hot humid day here. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow but it doesn't appear it will cool things down. R doesn't mind the heat but I do. We took the sink and dishwasher up to the scrap metal place. I'm very happy to have them out of the yard. Now we need to go through the garage and attic then call the disposal company for a rubbish pick up.

I hope your caregivers meeting went well, Linda. It's too bad you're not getting any rain. The doc are fortunate you can help with the tuition.

I did something "out of the box" today. I signed us up for a 5 day trip to Iceland in February. It works out to 3 nights there. Gate 1 had a promotion with IcelandAir on an independent trip with optional excursions. I thought about it for a couple days and discussed it with R. It's just a small trip since we have a lot to do with the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

It is rather cool today...a nice break before the heat wave expected for next week. V, v3 and his kids went yo his hometown to pick up a rock that has been in the family since 1874 and see his brother who has the untreated cancer. Amie just left to take the girls to Finding Dory .,I am in a lot of pain today so an going to take somethin and sit for a bit.

the kids continue to have a good time.

Linda...hope dh is able to love better today...good that sil had his root canal and the tuition is paid. You do such an outstanding job with dh. Interesting about your dogs..pepper went into her kennel yesterday to get away.

claudia."that trip sounds like fun. I found Iceland really interesting to visit. Be sure to to go the Blue lagoon.

enjoy your day.