Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of January 31

Very happy you and V got your vaccine, Barbara.  I think the 75 up rule is for this county.  I think I could get the vaccine if I went north -- certainly to Phoenix -- but, I am not willing to do so.  When I put in my information, there are no appointments within 50 or more miles.  

It is a lovely day here as well -- warmer and mostly sunny.   I am back from picking up my book from the library, and headed out for a walk soon.

I haven't eaten in or even taken out from a restaurant since my birthday in December. And, that was only the second time since last March.   I think about it, but then start looking at menus and decide I don't want to indulge in the fat and cholesterol in the foods that I like.  I am seriously considering picking up a hamburger some day, but I may just buy some ground beef.  You would think that I would be saving a lot of money not going out, but that has not been the case since I am spending more at the grocery store.  Oh well.....

The class was interesting, and some of the people in the class clearly knew a great deal about the subject.  I didn't realize that Tibetan Buddhism -- which is a very small percentage of the total -- is the type most prominent in the U.S.  When DH and I went to Thailand and Cambodia, I learned that there are various types.   Anyway, it was just a one time class, but something I might want to read more about in the future.

Hope R is doing okay today, Claudia and both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. DD said my SIL has had ups and downs, and today wasn't a good day.  But, he had a telemedicine visit, and will be getting new medication.  The doctor said that the ups and downs are normal.

Esteemed Contributor

Just read on the local bulletin board that the vaccinations didn't go at all well here in terms of time.  It seems like people spent between 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours waiting in line (in their cars, but....).  They had appointments, but apparently there were some computer issues.  Also, some people who didn't have appointments tried to sneak in.  Guess it is just as well that I couldn't get an appointment today at least.  

Respected Contributor

Define lively, Barbara. I spent time energetically chopping ice build up off the front porch and steps. Lol. Then this afternoon found the porch covered by a thin glaze of ice. Time for the pet safe ice melt. For now I'm using the side door (only one outer step and a covered entrance).

I'm glad you and V were able to get the vaccine easily, Barbara.

Still no word when I'll be able to get the vaccine.

I hope the new medication helps and your SIL has fewer not so good days, Linda. My opinion - pick up the hamburger. A little indulgence is good now and then.

I've noticed prices increasing at the grocery. I've also seen some bare shelves in places. When I picked up 2 cans of tuna I saw empty shelves for corned beef.

Sleep well tonight.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is another nice sunny day..not quite as but still Nice. I talked to my brother who winters in Florida...he said their weather has been cooler than normal there.

nothing exciting around here..

Linda, sorry that your sil had a bad day..I have heard that happens with patients who have been hospitalized. Hope he feels better today. This has to be hard on yiur dd. The drive up vaccines here was very smooth..and well organized. Glad your Olli classes are so enjoyable.

Claudia..yourliffe is pretty lively between r and the fur babies.grocery times here are cheaper than in Mn. 

enjoy the rest of the day.😎🌵

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you didn't have ice issues again today, Claudia.  I ended up buying half a pound of lean ground beef.  The price was not great, but better than buying a decent hamburger, and this will make two for me.  I like the idea of being able to control ingredients, etc.  But, I may still pick up some food from a restaurant one of these days.

Our weather is like yours, Barbara.  Very nice.  My SIL seems to be doing better today.  But, his office said he needed a doctor's note to return to work next Monday.  Keep in mind that he works from home.  Anyway, DD headed out to pick up the note since the doctor's office said they could not send via e-mail.

DGS still had not received her birthday card when DD and I spoke this morning, but it is possible she will get it in the mail.  She did get the money I sent via Zelle. 

As you may see on the other thread, DGD is scheduled to go into the hospital for a week next month to help determine what is causing her seizures.  The seizures are not dramatic (like falling on the floor), but troublesome to say the least.  The doctor said that if she has a seizure early in the week, she can go home right away rather than stay the week.  She will have a private room (one of two for this purpose) and have all sorts of monitoring.  Fingers crossed they figure out the problem.  DD said the doctor was wonderful on the telemedicine call.

I have been reading more about the vaccines given locally, and it seems like things went much better at the local hospital than the other location where people had to wait for so long.

Still no word from the hospice volunteer coordinator, so I guess I will be working late today.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Today was sunny and the temperature was close to 40° this afternoon. I hear it will be getting colder soon.

I got through today's dental appointment. They are always a dreaded occasion. I was afraid I'd lost a filling but they said I hadn't. What a relief. A month ago I was eating rice krispies and swallowed something that felt rough and was afraid it was a filling from an upper molar.

I picked up the milk at the small grocery plus stopped at Aldi's. So far a local pharmacy has only had 200 doses of the vaccine available but they are expecting more. Tops market is supposed to get vaccines but they don't know when.

Little Nugget is quite a smart young cat. R found the cat toys I gave them at Christmas in his work room closet and got them out. I didn't realize there was space to shove them under the closet door. After R went downstairs both kittens were playing with them. Nugget flipped his between the wall and his food storage container. When he couldn't reach it he climbed over the container to the back, reached the toy, and carrying it in his mouth climbed back. Not too bad for a kitten with no eyes.

Linda, I'm glad your SIL is improving. Lol about the doctor's note. Fingers crossed the doctor's find DGD's problem and she doesn't have to stay the full week.

Have a good evening.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon..I spent some time visiting one of my dearest friend..her son is an alcoholic and got arrested for a dui.  ..she is Perry's upset.  It is a bit cooler today, but still very nice.

linda..sorry to hear about dgd and the continuing seizures. Hope she does not have to stay in the hospital the full time. I am not surprised yiur sil had to have a note to return to work. I think that is not uncommon. Hope you got your volunteer deliveries out today. 

Claudia..that is funny about nugget...there are some very smart animals there. V3s first dog was 140 # of love but not real bright. Pepper is very smart...if you ask her to find a specific toy, she will..Good to hear that your tooth was not a problem .

all is well here..I am feeling so much better.

😎😎

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad your dental visit went okay, Claudia.  I'm sure you were very relieved that you didn't lose a filling.  Interesting how smart Nugget is.   Hope you and R are feeling okay today.

Cooler but nice here as well, Barbara.  I am glad you are feeling better and had a chance to visit with your friend.  It is so stressful of your child has an addiction problem.  Hope her son can get some help.

The exciting news is that the county announced that as of next Tuesday people 70 and above can sign up for the vaccine.  As far as I can tell, there is no vaccine available locally.   I could drive up to Tucson to have the vaccine, but I will wait until it is here since I don't like driving that far by myself to get any sort of medical treatment.  Hopefully, they will open something up here soon.

As you probably read on the other thread, I got my hospice work done fairly quickly this morning.  Then, I did a Leslie Sanson DVD, and had an OLLI class on Native American pottery in the Southwest.  I have had the "Study Group Leader" before, and he is excellent.

I thought about taking a walk after class, but I'm not feeling that energetic. I'm sure that I will do so tomorrow. 

I had ordered a Tiffany-style lamp from EBay on Tuesday, and it arrived today.  Wow!  I am very pleased with the lamp, which I plan to use in the bedroom.  There is no overhead light, so having a nice floor lamp is important.  The old one had "seen better days" as they say.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I'm sure your friend appreciated your visit, Barbara. Addiction is such a devastating problem. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Linda, I hope the vaccine is available soon in your area. We are still waiting here. It seems many other counties have been receiving a supply of the vaccine but not us.

Your lamp sounds lovely. Enjoyit. I have a good sized Tiffany style table lamp in the back room I got years ago. In the upstairs bedroom I have a good sized brass table lamp with shade that was converted from oil to electric. I believe it was my grandfather's. Luckily we do have ceiling lights.

R got lab work this morning for his urology appoint later this month. As often happens they had trouble drawing blood. This afternoon he had his acupuncture. Then we had a late lunch of Greek panini at the Greek restaurant.

It is to get quite a bit colder starting tomorrow. It will be a good day to stay in. Dinner was mostly leftovers.

Nugget's sister Widget has been standoffish until today. She actually came over to be petted.

Have a good evening and sleep well.

Respected Contributor

the day is slipping away..not that I have accomplished anything spectacular, other than getting valentines in the mail and cooking the pulled pork for tomorrow. It us Nother very nice day.

Linda..I love Tiffany lamps..I had a small one that sydnie asked for so it is in Mn. I was going to buy one to fill the space in the built in bookcase where the old tv was, but I have collected authentic Native American pots over the years and 2 fit there perfectly. Hope your sil continues to get better.

Claudia..m said she had a terrible ice problem on the walkway to the front door but found some ice melt. Stay warm.it is below zero in Mn.

Pepper decided to play out side in the cold and snow and she ended up ar the door shaking. So m turned on the fireplace heater and wrapped her in a blanket. And I thought she was smart.

have a good dinner and sleep well 😋😋