Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of January 24

Hope Whitney isn't in trouble, Claudia.  When DD was younger, I got some of those calls.  Very upsetting to say the least.  I am pretty sure none of my grands or DH's grands had bank accounts until they were older.  I'm still sending the checks for DH's younger granddaughter to his daughter.  Hope the weather wasn't too bad today.  As you may have read on the other thread, there was some ice on my driveway this morning.  I don't remember having that before, but it was early when I was taking out my recycling.

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay today.

Very sorry you are having such a bad headache, Barbara.  I know doctors can resist listening to their patients, but it is so unnecessary that you have to suffer due to the reduced steroids.

It is funny, but DD didn't like to be called Barb, either.  That was what her Father called her, but I don't think that was the only reason.  I used to call her Barbie when she was young, and she didn't like that either.  I call her by her chosen name now, just spell it differently.

I think DD is happy my SIL is staying longer at the hospital.  Taking care of him is not an easy job, so hopefully he will be better when he comes home a few days later.

My OLLI class was interesting and good, but the HOA meeting was not great.  Some people want to get their way, and just don't understand that everyone else doesn't agree.  We have had trouble over trash collection companies for years, and it came up again.  This is just after the board went through weeks of discussion, voting, etc., and decided to keep things as they are (we pick our trash company, not the Association.)  The President said that they decided to wait a year before discussing again, and if someone else wanted to be President, they could take the job.  I don't blame her one bit.  

Hope you feel better soon, Barbara, and both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm sorry you did not get as much steroid with this infusion. I hope you can persuade this doctor to follow your previous doctor's procedure.

Your sil should be stronger if he's not discharged until Sunday, Linda. Your HOA meeting sounds stressful. I pity the president and board.

A fairly quiet day here. I got a few things done and R volunteered to fix supper. It was rather bland since he forgot the salt but I wasn't complaining. It was worth it to have someone else fix supper. Usually he salts everything. Tomorrow ill try a venison roast in the slow cooker.

No more ice but the yard is still covered with snow. I hear there might be another storm next week. I just want the snow to melt so I can clean up the yard between storms.

I'm surprised you had ice on the driveway this morning.

Sleep well and feel better, Barbara.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon...I am having some vision issues from the infusion....it is related to the headache.

the idea of a capsule wardrobe is calling me.  I have my tops organized by color..lots of black lol. My pants in coool weather are leggings...black an a couple of navy blue. I try to add color with sweaters or lightweight jackets. Even though I go out very little, I like to look decent. 

I did splurge and ordered the linea bangle when it was at the lowest price ever. It is quite lovely...weighty and sits on the wrist..I never take off my bracelets.

Sydnie reconnected with a lit of her dance friends yesterday. The moms, who have known her for years commented to m on how besutiful she was and how well she danced. Her team is awful so Syd really stands out.

Linda..hard to believe your dgd is 21. They grow up so quickly. Sounds as if your sil is doing better...it was nice here today, but rain tomorrow.

Claudia..  never seasons anything when he cooks (rarely)..lol. We are getting takeout tonight. 

I am moving better so that pain is gone for a bit.

sleep well. 💕💕

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad you are moving better. Now for the headache and vision issues. I did get that bangle in silver but not at the lowest price. I don't wear it every day. It is beautiful and unique. I'm glad Sydnie reconnected with her dance friends.

We may be on the fringe of another storm starting Sunday. Today was cold. 22° last I checked. No chance of snow melting.

Tomorrow R has his acupuncture. I hope this one isn't cancelled. It's been 3 weeks since the last one.

The venison roast in the slow cooker turned out well.

As Barbara said it's hard to believe your DGD is 21, Linda. The years rush by. It's good your sil is doing better.

I'm glad R was at the VA just at the time they were looking for extra veterans to get the vaccine. It seems our local area is out and they don't know when they'll have more.

At some point I want to sell or donate the remaining corner cupboard along with the steamer trunk and a bookcase. They are all upstairs (corner cupboard on the landing) though. I think they could slide down the stairs on their sides.  Not daring enough to try to do it by myself. I'm waiting to find out first if R needs vascular surgery and if so what and when plus the porch replacement. Still no word on the appointment with a surgeon.

If I get rid of the trunk and bookcase I can fit another dresser in the spare room and hopefully not have to lug clothes in plastic bins up and down from the attic.  Sweaters do take up lots of space.

Have a good evening. I hope your deliveries went well, Linda.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Evening!  Glad R cooked for you, Claudia.  You can always add seasoning.  DH never cooked for me, but my ex did, and often he overseasoned things.  What I really didn't like was when he came in the kitchen while I was cooking and threw in some hot sauce without asking if the food needed it. 

DD was telling me that my SIL is in a wing where cardiac patients are plentiful (he is not one), and they are not using any salt in his food.  He didn't use a lot of salt, but misses it in his eggs which they serve almost every day for breakfast.  He does seem to be doing better, and I know he couldn't eat at all before he was hospitalized.  DD said she bought a ton of Mrs. Dash for him.

DD has gotten so COVID adverse that she was thinking about getting stamps from someplace other than the Post Office.  Before my SIL got sick, she wasn't as cautious, but..... We discussed the double mask idea, and she doesn't think she can handle it.  

Hope your weather was okay today, and so were you, R, and your furbabies.

Sorry about your headache and vision issues, Barbara.  Nice that Syd is getting so many compliments.  While I understand the capsule wardrobe idea, I know it is not for me.  But, I am trying to reduce the excess.  Glad you like the bracelet. It did look lovely.  

No problems at the grocery store, and my OLLI class was good.  I have the sneaking suspicion that I have taken this class before (a few years back), but there is a lot of information, and a review is good.  The "study group leader" has taught at least five British History classes, and I think I may have taken all five.

The hospice supplies didn't come until quite late so my deliveries went late.  One lady (daughter of a patient) insisted on opening up the box and removing the pull-up underwear which she said her Mom didn't need.  She didn't want it around due to COVID.  That seemed a bit strange, but I will take them back to the hospice office tomorrow.

Hope both of you and your husbands sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda.

ETA -- That is funny that you have matching bracelets.  Hope you don't get too much snow on Sunday, and R is able to get his acupuncture tomorrow, Claudia.  It is great that R was able to get his vaccine.  They are still saying you must be 75 or older in my county (unless you are in a nursing home or a health care worker.)  My friends who got the vaccine are older than me, and it makes sense to take the higher need people first.  

It is difficult to believe DGD will be 21.  That was my age when I had my DD -- not that it makes me feel old.  LOL

Respected Contributor

good afternoon..it is starting to cloud over..rain is due by late afternoon. My head is still hurting..hope I can convince the doc to give me more steroids. Arghhh

Linda..I read that your sil may be coming home.  I have a question..if they all had COVID why is she making dgs remove his clothes and shower?? Just nosy...I hope he can function independently as much as possible. It is good he is doing better.

I reorganized a couple of kitchen drawers..I ordered a tray from Amazon for big iyems and moved them closer to the stove. If I mentioned this already forgive me.. headaches affect my brain..lol.

Sydnie got accepted into the Brown University summer program. She will do a couple of courses on line. They only accept 500 from the entire country. 

Linda.your dd can order stamps online. 

Claudia..hope r has his acupuncture today...I think you have more weather coming.

enjoy your day.  I just received a big atlas on native Americans from nat geo...I like to study different subjects. I am going to start my shawl with the beautiful yarn today.

🌵🌵🌧

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  Sorry you are still suffering with the headache, Barbara.  Hope Syd likes her summer course at Brown, and you have fun with the atlas and knitting.  DH loved maps and atlases.  

I really don't know why DD is being so strict with DGS.  She is probably just overreacting due to her husband's illness.  She called me a little while ago when I was taking a walk, and she was going to pick him up from the hospital.  The doctor said he was doing better, and he had not been on oxygen all day.  She prescribed some steroids for him since he had not finished his full course of them.  Hopefully, he will be okay and recover completely.

When I went to drop things off at the hospice office, the hospice chaplain was in the parking lot.  We had not seen one another for ages (schedule differences).  He has had the vaccine, and so far, so good.  But, he told me that one of his brothers (lives in TX) nearly died of COVID in October, and his brother's wife had thought she was over it, but had to go back on oxygen.  Not a disease you want to mess with for sure.

DD ordered a new snow shovel and ice melt on-line, and sent DGS out to pick it up.  They are expecting a storm Sunday or Monday.

Hope R was able to get his acupuncture treatment today, Claudia.  Also hope your weather is okay.

We are expecting rain later today or tonight, but right now it is partially sunny but very windy.  

I decided to go ahead and order Turbo Tax on-line from COSTCO.  I need several more forms, but I thought it would be good to get started.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

What great news for Sydnie, Barbara . I'm sorry you still have a headache. Enjoy using the atlas once the headache is gone.

Linda, I'm sure your SIL is happy to go home. The little dog will be head over heels to see him. I hope he has a good recovery and your DD is not too stressed. It's nice you saw the hospice chaplain and had a short chat. The virus can be very bad. Still no news on local vaccines.

R had his acupuncture today and the VA  is straightening out his surgical referral. Once scheduled it looks like we'll go back to Erie for it. Just hope the weather will cooperate.

I scheduled the oil change and tire rotation for Tuesday. We will probably get some of the weather your DD is expecting. I have a sack of ice melt in the back of the car.

I've been wearing a fleece cover-up by Stan Herman in the house.  I forget what it's called but it's oversized and warm. Last I looked it was 22° here.

Respected Contributor

it is a sunny but cool day. I always enjoy the sunny and our home is very bright with vaulted ceilings and skylights.

I think I am over the infusion aftermath, but still have pain when I move. I have a referral to a pain clinic a bit of a drive from here. I am going to call my insurance company to see if there s something closer.

the toilet on the main floor of ms house overfloored and did not think to turn off the tank valve until she called her dad. As we tell her, the joys of owning a home.

Linda, hope dd is doing ok with your sil being home. V was pretty independent after his hospital stays....I am sure his dog was happy to see him.our tax stuff is coming in..m wants v to do hers , but the home office makes it more complex. 

Claudia..good luck on the weather. I really do not miss snow storms.Glad that r got his acupuncture and surgery scheduled. I love that linea bracelet.

no purchases excep for a pair of knitting needles. I have a lot of needles but not what the pattern required.

enjoy. 🐸🌵🌵😎

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon  Just hearing about your weather makes me shiver, Claudia.  Glad R finally has an appointment and was able to get his acupuncture treatment.  Good luck with the storm.

Hope you are able to get some pain relief, Barbara.  Also hope you are able to go to a closer pain clinic.  There is a fairly new one not far from here.  I have heard mixed reviews about it.

No vaulted ceilings in this old house, but I am happy with the sun coming in from the "Arizona room".  I forgot to ask DD about the little dog, but I bet she was happy to see her "Dad".  Hopefully, my SIL will be fairly independent, but I know DD has spoiled him.  Sorry M had the toilet problem. As you said, the joys of home ownership. 

I just received an e-mail that 3,000 doses of the vaccine are coming to our town this week, but only for people 75 plus.  Who would think that I would be too young for something.  Oh well..... I heard from my friend visiting her daughter in the Bay Area of CA, and she will be getting her first vaccine next week.  She is in her mid 80's, so she would have qualified here if she were not away.  She and her daughter are trying to adopt a dog, and may have a chance to do so.  But, adoptable dogs are scarce there (as they are here). 

DD told me that DGD was able to get a discount on Turbo Tax from ETSY where she has her on-line small business.  She needed a version that would be suitable for small business people.  

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda