Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of December30

I saw your photo of the snow, Linda. It rained here. Overnight it was windy. R said the garbage cans blew over and were out in the yard. Monday was garbage day so the cans were empty.

I hope everything works out for your sil. She's certainly had a struggle the past several years. I know you'll be relieved if you no longer need to pay her car payment.

The pub table and stools were picked up this morning. We priced it very low so as to have it out of the house before the kitchen work starts.

I'm glad Sydnie is such a big help to you, Barbara. Its nice you had that extra seat and I'm sure Pepper enjoyed it.

Griffyn's food is in the car and I'll add his pills in the morning. Poor Maggie Mae- no food after 6 pm and she dearly loves her food. I'll drop Griff off first tomorrow and then Maggie.

R keeps coming up with more things to get done.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is pretty chilly here. I drove Sydnie and Pepper to the dog park at 730..it was only 23..to chilly for the golf cart. The houses here are not as well insulated as those in the north..soinruntye heat a little higher...cold really affects me negatively so it is worth a few $$ tobe comfortable.

Syd has been working on her schoolwork..I decided to order her textbooks for me..it is much easier to instruct whenihave the same bookinfront of me.

not too much exciting here..enjoy the day.🥶🥶

Esteemed Contributor

Hope things went okay with Griff and Maggie Mae, Claudia.  Also hope things are underway with the kitchen renovation.

I agree with you about the insulation, Barbara.  It really seems cold here this time of the year, particularly this year.  That is very cold weather you had this morning.  We had snow on the ground again this morning (snowed overnight again), and it was quite chilly.  I am really looking forward to warmer weather. 

While I don't have nearly as many aches and pains as you do, Barbara, my knee certainly does not appreciate the cold.  I didn't take my walk until this afternoon since it was so cold in the morning, plus there was slush when I took out the trash.  I really don't want to fall down.

Sounds like a good idea about the textbooks.  Hope they are not too expensive.

I didn't have any meetings or appointments today, and I didn't really need anything from the store, so I have been doing some cleaning and cooking again.  All my Christmas stuff is put away.  Since Thanksgiving was early last year, and I had put my decorations up right about then, I was ready for the change.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the handyman (who did a great job putting my table together but horrible job on the door) contacted me to ask if he could park his car in my driveway.  We had an extra part added to the driveway so two cars could park there, but it has not been used since my accident.  Anyway, he lives with two other guys, and their homeowners association only allows two cars to be parked at their house.  

I really didn't feel comfortable permitting him to park here, and he seemed to take it fairly well when I refused.  I thought it was pretty nervy of him to ask, but.....

DD had a very funny time with her weight watcher ladies who had brunch after their meeting.  She didn't plan to eat there, but just have a cup of tea.  They went to IHOP and got separate checks.  Almost everyone else made all sorts of special requests -- no mayo, no bread, three pieces of avocado, etc.  It took a very long time to place their orders, and an hour before they were served.  By then, she was hungry, but it was too late to order.

I have a sort of similar experience with caregivers lunches -- not that they are so picky, but most of the ladies order a small bowl of soup with water to drink.  We get separate checks and come very early for lunch (11:00 a.m.)  The poor waitresses do a ton of work for a very small order and tip ($4 or less for the soup).  I usually order more food, since a small bowl of soup would not fill me up at lunchtime, but I am certainly the exception.

Guess I need to get back to de-cluttering now. A few of my kitchen drawers are very messy, and I probably have things that should be donated.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

All the cabinets are out of the kitchen and in a pile in the back yard waiting to be hauled away. All the new items are in the garage. The Lowe's truck that delivered pulled down some branches and the phone wire. Everything seems to work now. New plumbing lines are in for the sink and the floor in that area has been leveled.

They will be adding an outlet to the left of the sink. More outlets is always good.

It's chilly - in the 30's. Maggie was outraged at the thought of no breakfast. She would lead me to the storage container, pointedly look at it, then look at me. She is now 7.3 pounds more than double her weight when I got her (3.1). I pick her up tomorrow.

The groomer/kennel

We went out for supper. Foolishly I ate my salad. Raw vegetables don't agree with me. It figures. Junk food, no problem. Healthy good-looking watch out.

I'm sorry both of you are having such cold weather. This time of year I wear tights under my pants and it really makes a difference.

Linda, your handyman's request is certainly odd. I'm sure it's difficult though at places there are vehicle restrictions.

I can picture your poor DD sitting there feeling hungrier and hungrier.D

Barbara, good idea about the textbooks.

Respected Contributor

It is almost afternoon..Another chilly day..Syd and I returned an incorrect delivery to the post office today.  I have done some reorganizing..we have a lot of suitcases here because of all the travel and they are all in the den..I do not have a lot of extra storage here. 

It is still cool..But it should warm up over the weekend,

Linda..that is bizarre about your handyman’s request..good you said no.poor dd waiting for all of those special orders. 

Claudia..good luck with the remodel..How long is it going to take ??

Pepper decided to start barking at 2am..I am guessing there were coyotes roaming again.

have a good day.🥰🥰

Respected Contributor

Can any of your suitcases fit inside larger ones, Barbara? I hate when I'm woken by barking..

It is cool here today. The renovation they say will take 2 weeks. I'm expecting 3 weeks.

What is left of the kitchen wallpaper is a real pain. The contractors are having as much trouble removing it as the parts I did. I feel a bit better that it wasn't just me.

We decided to take the soffit down. It is less expensive than drywalling the bottom and imo will look better. The windows over the sink are up.

I picked Maggie Mae up this afternoon. She goes back in a week to have the stitches removed. While at the vet office I saw Griff's groomer who boards and runs a rescue. Griff is not happy about going in his kennel but is doing well otherwise. She recently had to say goodbye to her Gt. Pyr so knows the breed.

Hope you didn't wake to a third day of snow, Linda.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Sorry about that barking, Barbara.  I didn't have too much of a problem with that with my last dog who slept under the bed, but others did it for sure.  It was chilly here this morning, but no new snow.  One of the ladies in my caregivers group said that it was much milder last year, and I think she is correct.  I sure don't remember being this cold.  I had given away some of my warmer things since I wasn't using them, but.....  We had a very cold winter in 2011 -- actually went down to 18 degrees and the pipes froze.

I hope they finish the renovations sooner, Claudia, but I know things often take longer than predicted.   Glad Maggie is back and hope Griff does okay.  Good that they know the breed so well.

It has been a busy day for me.  Fortunately, my grands got things straightened out at the college, but it was none too easy.  All three of them went yesterday afternoon and did not get home until 8:30 at night.  As you may have read in the other thread, DGD had sent six certified transcripts, and found they didn't give her the credits she earned since they failed to look at the second page!  It was quite a mess.

Anyway, they have registered, but needed to pay by Sunday.  I called the broker, but it takes longer than that to get money from their 529 accounts, so I transferred money and I'll pay myself back when I get it from the broker. 

If all goes well, Army DGS will graduate next December and the other two will graduate in spring 2020.  So, he is starting his senior year, and they are in the second half of their junior year.  I don't have enough in the 529 accounts to pay for all their tuition (assuming they graduate when they are supposed to), but I am hopeful to be able to pay most of it and just take the rest out of savings.  It will be wonderful if all four become college graduates.   I'm still hassling DD about going to college once they finish.   

Meanwhile, oldest DGS got a counter-offer from Macy's -- quite a bit more money than he would get at Sierra Trading Post, and a different location (closer to where they live).  But, he plans to turn down the counter offer.  The store that they want to send him to is not nice and in a dying Mall, where he really doesn't want to work.  Anyway, it is nice that he is so desirable.

The caregivers lunch and meeting were good, and the gym went okay.  I was using the rowing machine next to a guy I had seen before, and it turns out that his wife died last July --  she cancer that had come back very strong but she died of a heart issue caused by chemo, and then a week or so later, his dog of many years died.  He said he knew his wife was ready, and she did sort of prepare him for a year.  But, life is sure different.  

They have decided hospice volunteers do not need CPR training, so now I will just need regular training which may happen next Thursday.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good Afternoon..Pepper is trying to lick my hands as I am typing. We just got back from a lunch with my dear friend whose husband has end stage breast and bone cancer. He is struggling with severe pain and she is very stressed. I pray for them daily.

i got the bathrooms cleaned, floors washed and some laundry done. V and m are on their way left about 6 am this morning. 

Linda. It is nice oldest dgs got the counter offer. Sierra trading post has some very nice things...and so good the other kids are getting through college. It seems as if online classes are very popular...Amie did a good portion of her masters that way. Good that your hospice training will speed up.

Claudia..May the remodel go very well. I assume you are eating out a lot. But I am sure you will be happy when you it is completed.

enjoy your day..I am pretty functional today.🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Glad V and M are on their way, and you are feeling better, Barbara.  It was sunny and warmer here today, which I really appreciate.

Hope the renovations are going smoothly, Claudia.  Keep repeating to yourself -- this will all be worth it.  I know it is difficult to say the least.

Oldest DGS turned down the counter-offer, and he will start at his new job on the 14th.  Meanwhile, Army DGS went for an interview for a different job -- in human resources, and he will take it if it is offered.  Higher pay and in his field.  I don't know if it was true for Amie, but the on-line classes seem to be less expensive than going to the campus.  I think I would really miss the on-campus interaction, etc., but it is more convenient to be sure.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I did some closet de-cluttering today, and I'm very happy with the result.  Plus, I did clean out/organize some of the kitchen cabinets on Wednesday.  Perhaps there is hope for me yet.  LOL  Hearing about people who have moved into small apartments have inspired me to at least do a little more organizing and thinning out.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

3rd day of the remodel. Floors are patched. Griffyn "work" has been undone. All the wallpaper is off and drywall is on the smaller ceiling area. Well see what next week brings. I pick Griff up early tomorrow morning. 

The VA called to schedule R for imaging. This is a check on the "lung nodule".

We also need to determine if tires on the Chevy need replaced before we turn the lease in. 

Linda, I'm glad your weather is sunny and warmer. I presume yours is too, Barbara. 

I hope Army gs gets the job. Online courses certainly save on gas and vehicle upkeep.

Barbara, I hope V and M have arrived by now.

I picked up the paint for the kitchen. The consultant and I decided to change to a lighter neutral color. R is focused on cleaning collectible spoons from mother's collection and some silver pieces. It keeps him out of trouble. Lol.