Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of December30

Good morning..I am trying to get my body into order..v said that he will do the laundry for us today.,nothing big planned..I did get most of the house cleaned except for the vacuuming  m did the floors in the kitchen, dining room and big family room.

syd and I leave early Tuesday morning...we have to eliminate a carry on because Pepper counts as one. I hear the tea agents are getting upset because of the government shutdown. I always go through with a smile and I always get the full patdown because of my ostomy bag. 

Claudia I don’t envy you with having to clear out the kitchen. I remember what a pain that was.

v3 is feeling much better. He has decided to not go back to school until the middle of the month at the earliest. 

Linda..I hope you have a nice day.  I think I mentioned that one of dearest friends husband is starting the decline with Alzheimer’s. They are not well off..had to declare bankruptcy a few years ago because he ran the business she inherited into the ground. They have no long term care insurance so she said she will have to care for him completely.

i am so glad that we have a good lyc thst will cover most nursing home expenses.

enjoy your day..the high will be 30 today.💜💜

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of December30

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Hope your body feels better, Barbara.  Nice that your house is mostly cleaned.  I had heard that about TSA agents as well.  I'd probably not be thrilled to working without pay.  They will probably be paid eventually, but working on a holiday and not getting a paycheck is rough.  The agency where I used to work is partially shutdown, and I know I would have been on furlough if I were still working.  Happy to be retired.  

Clearing out the kitchen was a huge job for me when I had the cabinets replaced and to a lesser extent when I had the room painted.   But, the end results will be good, and I guess sometimes you just have to go through the process.  Hope things go okay with you, Claudia and Griff doesn't get too upset about being boarded alone.

That is really bad about your friend, Barbara.  If he is bad enough to go into hospice, she could get some much needed help.  Around here, the county council on aging also helps some of those in need.  For example, some of the people in the adult day services don't need to pay or pay very little.  Others get the same discount or full payment through the Veteran's administration.  I believe the State also provides assistance with nursing and some home care through the State ALTCS program (for elderly, disabled, poor).  Some of the ladies in my Caregivers group have been able to use that program for their husbands in facilities (including DH's) as well as having caregivers come to their homes. 

I would imagine (not sure) that they have the same sort of programs in MN (I'm guessing they are in MN).  She should definitely look into the possibilities.  Taking care of him by herself could be harmful to her health.

Glad you have good Long Term Care insurance.  I think mine is pretty good -- actually have two policies, but one is only good if you go to a nursing home where the other could be at home or in a nursing facility.

You may have read that a lady from my bookclub is very upset since her DH has vein disease, had a stroke fairly recently, and now has found out that he has pancreatic cancer.  She is older (over 80), and was a bit fragile before.  This is just more trouble.

I'm back from church and headed to the gym soon.  Hope both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. to Claudia -- I found the Linea ponte knit pants were on sale -- the same ones I ordered before and loved.  Couldn't resist ordering another pair today.

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to say that I'm glad your son is feeling better, Barbara.  Probably a good idea to take off work for a while.

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad V3 is taking his time and not rushing back to school. Safe travels. I do feel sorry for the tea agents. Working without pay is no fun. When I was working it happened several times when there was no state budget. Of course the legislators still were paid.

Slowly the kitchen is emptying. The contractors will have to move the stove and fridge. We moved the Amish made pub table earlier today. I need empty the 2 utensil drawers and the cupboard above them. R keeps telling me how much still needs done.

I also emptied the trunk of the Impala since we'll be turning it in soon.

As you said, Linda,  most states have programs to help with nursing home and memory care for those on limited incomes.

What a difficult time for your book club friend and her husband.

Respected Contributor

Happy New Year’s Eve.  We have to get up at 5 to get to the airport on time. I am getting chick Fiona for lunch and we will,do apps for dinner.

thanks for your thoughts on my friend. She is my dearest friend from high school...they are not poor by any means but their money is tied up fron a lawsuit they lost several years ago over the business. Neither has a good retirement and they have too much to qualify for assistance programs she is a smart person and will figure things out.

Linda have a nice day..

Claudia..good luck with the continued cleaning out the kitchen

🎊🧧🎉🎉

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you are making progress with the kitchen clear-out, Claudia.  Hope things go smoothly.

Also hope you don't have any issues with your flight tomorrow, Barbara.  I'm glad you think your friend will find a way to work things out for her DH's care.  I know there are some complications, but there are ways to get some assistance without bankrupting the surviving spouse.  My lawyer has assisted some of the caregivers in determining if that would work for them.  Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.  I guess her DH is not a veteran?   I know some of the husbands were vets, and their wives were able to qualify for things like "respite care", medicines, and adult diapers.  

Youngest DGS passed his driving test, and both he and his Mom are very happy.  He and Army DGS are going out for New Year's Eve, but oldest DGS and DGD are not.  As you may have read on the other thread, oldest DGS accepted a new job much closer to home, and he will get a raise.  They require him to have a month of training up in Massachusetts, but the store isn't even open yet, so no problem.

The senior lunch program party was nice, and it is good to be home.  Our weather is not nice at all today, and I don't think it is supposed to improve until Thursday or Friday.  No sun, very windy, and cool (feels cold to me).  Glad this is not our usual weather.

Happy New Year's Eve to both of you!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We are back from dinner. The food was good but too much of it. It has been raining steadily. I'm glad I grabbed a Lands End long hooded coat on my way out the door. R didn't think to grab anything. We had to park on the far side of the restaurant.

R put an ad for the pub table and stools on a fb site and has had several enquiries. We priced it low so hopefully it will sell quickly.

Cupboards, sink.  etc. will be delivered Wednesday. The cure plan is to store them in the garage.

Linda, your dd must be thrilled youngest dgs passed his driver's test. Congratulations to the eldest. I'm glad you enjoyed the lunch program.

I hope your flight has no delays or problems tomorrow, Barbara. I hate getting up that early but sometimes it can't be avoided.

There are a few more items to pack up but I'll wait till tomorrow to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope your flight went okay, and all is well, Barbara. Also hope your weather is good.  I find it pretty cold here, but lows in the 20's at night are still better than temperatures in the single digits.

As you may have seen on FB, I woke up to snow on the ground!  It was a total surprise to me.  It was rainy and cold last night, but I did not expect snow.  It is warmer now (probably in the low 40's), and the snow is almost all gone.

I went to the gym and saw that the heated outdoor pool was steaming.  When I left, a couple were headed in for a swim -- at the time, it was only in the 30's, cloudy, and dreary looking.  I don't think I have ever seen a guy in such a small bikini in our pools.  He was okay looking, but not young or anything.  

Hope the pub table and stools are a quick sale, Claudia.  Also hope the kitchen renovation goes quickly and well.

As you may also have read on the other thread, my SIL's news was another shocker.  She has re-connected with a man she dated a few years back, and they are in love.  She is moving in with him (in Delaware), quitting her job, selling most of her furniture, and starting a new life. She still plans to work so that she can build up her Social Security.  Since she will not need to pay rent, she said she will take over her car payments once she gets settled.  Not to be greedy, but that is great news.

All this was a big surprise to me since i had not heard her mention him for at least a year and a half.  Really hope it works for her -- she needs good news for sure.  It will be a huge change for her since she has never lived that far from "home" in Maryland.  It is about a three hour drive to her new home, and it is near a beach.  Although I know she will miss being closer to two of her kids and now grandchildren, I know she has been very lonely since my brother died.

I have been doing some cooking, and I'll probably start on my 2019 financial "book", etc.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..we are back safely. Our flight was nice ..they refunded vs ticket but no one showed up for the seat. It would have cost someone else to pay for the upgrade . As a result we had lots of room and could put Pepper on the seat in her carrier. I took syd out to lunch and then we stopped to get groceries. My body kind of gave out which happens when I overdo so syd packed up the groceries , brought them in and put everything away. she is the kindest child.,people across from us in the restaurant , mentioned how beautiful she is.

it was 48 when we landed and there was snow on the mountains. I heard Tucson got a couple of inches. But it is better than the cold weather we had in mn

interesting news about your sil, Linda..Hope it all works out for her.you have been very generous with her.

Claudia..hope your things sell quickly. And that the renovation goes well. 

Enjoy your evening.🎉🎉🎉

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are home safely, Barbara.  Nice that Syd is so helpful and kind.  Hope your body improves.

I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about my SIL. Not sure, but I think he is quite a bit older and at one point she said he was "set in his ways".  And, he was the one who broke up with her in the past.  But, I certainly would not say anything to her but wish them the best.  Hopefully, he has changed, and she is sure of her decision.  

It is sort of funny/ironic that when I got together with DH several people (including my SIL) were less than enthusiastic.  Especially since we lived together for a little while before we married.  My SIL used to be adamant that she would not live with someone without marriage.  I know things have changed/are different, but........