Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of December 27

I think napping must be a male thing. V is very adept at it and it drives me nuts...lol. He has been sleeping since he got back from the oil change 2 hours ago. Omg

Linda..by visual cues , I mean pictures of things. For bed time, I thought maybe a picture is a bed and the time you want him to got bed for the evening.,you would have to remind him of the time...and it may not work if he has no concept of time. I am not sure it would even work.

Enjoyyour day...your care giving duties are becoming more and more. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

i have yak tracks that I use when it is icy and I am very careful. 

Claudia, legging and slim pants work well for me. We will see how these work.

Respected Contributor

Meant to watch the Linea show but thought it was at 2 PM. 1 PM I was taking R to lunch. He was so frustrated at the game on his phone, yelling and cussing that the shepherd hid under my chair. I felt a diversion was needed. The back yard is mud and Griff feels he should stay on the porch.

I have something similar to yak tracks that I use and needless to say am very careful.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Barbara.  I tell him about time frequently, but I don't think he "gets it".  I point to the clock, mention how many hours before bed, etc.  So, I'm afraid  a picture just would not work, unfortunately.

We actually had snow flakes on the way to the senior lunch program today.  Between that and a restaurant trip, we didn't have many seniors.  And, I managed to get out early enough to go to the gym before taking DH to physical therapy.  I feel that they have done as much as they can, and I could just take care of him on my own.  But, I guess I'll go through with the two more appointments and then call it quits.  

Sorry R is having so much trouble, Claudia.  I do hope he can have that test done, and they can find a way to help him.  

I agree about napping, Barbara.  Men seem to have a much easier time doing so, and it can be irritating.  

Glad both of you have things to wear on the ice.   Falling is such an issue, especially as you get older.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Linda, I'm hoping your area is warming up and you have no more hints of snow. Our forecast starting tomorrow through the rest of the week is snow. Hopefully not too much of it.

I'm not too surprised that DH doesn't get it about time. It's too bad though.

While R was bowling last night I was paying bills when I heard something fall. Adam checked and one of the dogs had knocked R's weekly pill box off the bar stool where he left it. Adam scooped up the pills and I had the fun job of sorting them. In an hour we leave for his senior bowling.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...today is take down the tree and go to see Star Wars. Syd and I will tackle the tree shortly. It is not hard because she will bring me the ornaments to pack away. 

My replaced knee is giving me fits..lit does this periodically tied in with the ra., so I am using ice periodically.  I am off the prednisone and that makes a difference. I do not plan on using it for quite a while.

Linda..if dh has no concept of time or clocks, it will not work. I know in memory care places people are always sleeping. I hope pt can give you  a few more more pointers.

Claudia, glad the dogs did not get into the pills. Yikes. I hope r settles down for you.

re: napping. V stays up until early in the morning..2 or 3 so does not get a lot of sleep.,we are exact opposites in sleep patterns.

enjoy your day.

Respected Contributor

Back from senior bowling which did not go well. He's talking of quitting all his leagues. We shall see. We goy home to a message to call the veterans choice program. After talking to 2 people and explaining everything again we were told it was referred to the scheduler who would call possibly tomorrow. The good news is we got a letter from our congressman's office that they had contacted them.

Sorry about your knee Barbara. I hope the ice helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your knee(s) Barbara.  Hope you got things done that you wanted to do.

It will be interesting if R does quit the leagues, Claudia.  Glad he is getting some action with the VA.

I have been busy again today, but all good.  I dropped off DH and drove up to COSTCO -- nothing exciting, but got a few things I needed/wanted.  When I got home, I called the furniture store, and my things were ready.  So, I ran out to pick them up.  Came home, and had a call from a financial person -- I have an appointment for mid-January.  Then, I found I had a message from the hospice place (new).  I forgot that I had set an appointment for this morning -- how embarrassing.  But, I managed to see them this afternoon, and DH is all set with this group.  It is not official until the nurse visit next Wednesday(and he is finished with physical therapy), but the coordinator has already had records sent from the doctor, etc.  She knows him well, and she was pretty upset that he recommended a different hospice.  

I was a bit later than usual picking up DH, but he was fine.  He won a teddy bear in Bingo, and he gave it to me.  

Today was youngest DGS's 18th birthday, and I tried, but did not succeed, in talking to him.  He and his brothers and sister went to see the Peanut's movie and out for pizza, and then he came home and immediately went to take a nap.  Oh well....  I'll try to talk to him tomorrow.

I haven't done my walking yet, and it will get dark soon, so I better head out now.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

For whatever reason, I am having my annual flare in my replaced knee. It will take some time to resolve . I may use my fancy pink cane in the airport tomorrow.  We shall see.

Sydnie has a friend over today, so she is happy. They have been friends since preschool.

the tree is down and the house is back in some semblance of order. Nothing planned for tonight..we let Syd stay up to watch the ball drop. I will make some meatballs.

Claudia...I hope you hear from the scheduler today.  Wonder what R will do if he quits bowling???

Linda, it is good that you got dh set up with hospice. They will give you a lot of support. Today is the first day that I have seen the sun in a while. That is one of the things I really enjoy about az.

i will check back later.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like DGS enjoyed his birthday, Linda even though you didn't get to talk to him. It's great you were able to get in and talk with the other hospice group.

R saw a surgeon at the VA who said the raised area on the upper back back was just a lesion left after the so called blackhead drained. However there is another area on the lower back that he prescribed an antibiotic and he sees him again in 2 weeks. Pharmacy was backlogged so we had to wait an hour.

Still no luck re: R's test. When we got home from the VA and Wegman's there was a message to call. Had to explain it all again, transferred to someone else who had to hear the whole story again. They said it was pending finding out if he was willing to travel over 40 miles. R told the person he had told them numerous times he was willing to travel. Arghhh. On hold then a promise to call back. Told the local hospital doesn't do it but there's a place in N Warren but they didn't have the number. All told he was on the phone over 30 minutes and most of that on hold.

By all means use your fancy cane, Barbara. Have a good flight.

Leaving the VA the roads were a bit slippery but they improved further on. I'm not sure what R will do if he doesn't bowl 3 times a week.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about the flare, Barbara.  Glad things are done there, and you will be back to the sun soon.  

How infuriating about the test, Claudia.  Glad the driving went okay.

Physical therapy went well, and then I made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart -- what a mob.  Several items I wanted were not on the shelves, but I went ahead and bought substitutes.

DH's DD called from Germany to wish us Happy New Year, which was nice.  Both she and her husband are suffering from bad colds, so they aren't doing much.  DH's brother-in-law (late wife's brother) is going in for hip replacement on Monday.  They are visiting with him -- staying at a hotel in the next village.  But, he won't talk about the surgery and refuses to have anyone around.  So, they are not sure where they will be going next -- in Germany for sure.  She said they enjoyed walking around Paris.

My SIL was in a car accident -- she was sitting at an intersection, and a lady just plowed into the back of her.  I waiting to see what the doctor said -- she was a bit sore, etc.  And, her car is in the shop.  Hope that it can be repaired.  Fortunately, the other lady admitted fault, and her insurance company was nice on the phone.

Youngest DGS is off at a New Year's Eve party (including an overnight poker game), oldest DGS is working, but will be home tonight with his other brother, sister, and parents.  DD never stays up late by choice, so I'm sure she will not make it to midnight.  Not sure If I will do so or not.

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda