Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS week of August 20

Sorry the eclipse was not great in your area Barbara or chessielady.  It was sunny here, but I did not have the glasses or another way to look at it, so I watched it on TV at DH's facility.  I think lots of us ended up doing so even if we had sun, Claudia.

You are quite welcome, Barbara.  I hope I like it -- seems a bit long for me, but probably very cosy.  

DH was sleepy today, but he did eat lunch in between his naps.  The problem lady in his "house" was up to it again.  She did not want help, and kept trying to come out of her room partially or totally naked.  Also was swearing up a blue streak.  I know they don't want her sedated full-time, but her behavior is very hard to take.

DH's DD ended up having to work a while last night as well as today, and tomorrow is a full day of work.  Hopefully, she can get a nap when she goes home this afternoon.  They had lots of trouble registering the younger girl this morning, and they would not let her attend class before that was done.  Normal registration happened while they were away.

Borneo was her husband's choice, and the trip was in part a celebration of his 50th birthday.  I don't know if I mentioned it, but both their older girl and he were bitten by leeches while in the jungle.  That would be way too much for me.

I know most people who have iphones love them, but I am okay with the android.  Glad you and Syd like yours so much, Barbara.

Good luck at the VA tomorrow, Claudia, and hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  The senior lunch program went okay today.  My buddy and her husband are exploring Silver City, NM in September to see if it is a place they would like to buy a cabin where they can go if it is too hot here.  DH and I visited there once, and we were not overwhelmed.  But, who knows what they will think.  I don't think I would like the responsibility of a cabin elsewhere, but I know they can be nice to get away from the heat.  

I forgot to mention that I think there is an advantage to having an iphone if you have a hearing aid, Barbara.  I don't think you need to have a "dongle" like I do to replace my bluetooth.  Not that V is likely to want to get hearing aids, but....

It is pretty hot here, and DD said it is hot there as well.  But, it is supposed to get cooler in Maryland starting tomorrow or so.  Youngest DGS didn't like his Calculus II class, and decided to switch out of being a math major.  I think he is switching to computer science.  It seems my grands are always changing majors.  But, it is good to find something really like, and I guess it was good that he figured this out the first day of class so he could drop it and take up another class.

I'll be headed to the gym soon, and then I'll visit DH.

Hope R's appointments went okay, Claudia, you are not in too much pain, Barbara, and everything is going okay for you cheesielady.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It has been a beautiful day..wish this was yesterday. V3 got some nice pics of the eclipse..our area and his was around 80% . It was good to watch it on tv, we go to Lincoln City, Oregon every year and the highway in and out is 2 lanes..I can only imagine the traffic.

i had a reminder call about my infusion and the receptionist. Who is new and very much a law and order person, insisted it was my old drug because that is what her screen read. She refused to put me back to the nurses, who I never have trouble getting through o. I was almost in tears, so I called my dr and he very wuickly took care of it. I told him she needs more training. Yikes.

Linda, dhs dd is an adventurous traveler...Borneo would never interest me. We use to get leeches on us from lakes..lol. Glad Dh is doing ok.I think kids change majors a lot..hope they find something they like. Sometimes I wish we had a cabin in northern Mn...to me it would be like having 2 houses, which I have.

my dear friend in Az, husband is not doing well. He has stage 4 breast cancer and many things are going wrong. He has fought very long and bravely and I believe he will win this battle. It makes me sad.

Claudia..hope all went well at the VA. 

Chessielady, you were fortunate to see what you did.

i have been taking Syd to various activities...really do not feel like cooking dinner. Maybe, she will do it. 

Have re a good evening.

Respected Contributor

We got home from the VA just before a big thunderstorm. The next few days will be cooler which I'm looking forward to. R had lab work Thursday at the local clinic.

Oh my, the staff certainly has their hands full with that lady, Linda.

Barbara, I'm glad you were able to talk to the doctor and straighten things out. How frustrating.I

The dogs are fussing and wanting out. Hope things are well with you chessielady. 2 big dogs bouncing in my living room - not good.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I survived my infusion..and unfortunately I am getting a headache. Lovely..

v is going to do the Grocery store for me..syd will help. I booked out my flights home for October and November. 

It it is a gorgeous day here very fall like. I think the weather will be like this for the next week. Love it.

nothing too exciting going on..hope you are both having a good day. 

Respected Contributor

It's fall like here too. The forecast says only a small chance of rain the next four days. Maybe the grass will stop growing. I mowed only two days ago and already it needs it again.

I'm glad I persuaded R to get a battery powered mower. Much easier for me to start than the gas mower. The yard is only medium size and except for the holes dug by a certain pyr fairly easy to mow.

I hope your headache goes away soon, Barbara. It's a good idea to go ahead and book those flights now.

I did my errands this morning. I still have a few things to do around the house though.

I hope everyone has a good day and evening. For some reason it feels like it's Saturday.

Super Contributor

Hope all are well. This time we got over 10 inches of rain. Eclipse day has been memorable for many reasons! Much flooding around the area, glad we live up on a hill back yard was boggy especially with all of the dog trails! Temps today are lovely in the 70s. I will need to mow again soon also. I have a self propelled mower. It's a Troy built..I love it! I take care of all yard work. My next favorite tool is my Stihl leaf blower. Starts every time (gas powered) and makes leaf clean up a snap. Dogs have been behaving...took the pups for a nice romp..they are snoozing now. I believe that a tired dog equals a happy owner! Need to start some laundry...hope a pleasant evening is had by everyone!
Respected Contributor

Chessielady...you sound like a fun lady...as you get more comfortable, I hope you share with us things like what you did if you worked etc, I am a retired school administrator for a large urban district in the land of 10,000 lakes. I still try to remain active in spite of my rheumatoid arthritis. My Dh and I divide out time between here and Phoenix. 

You are are a nice addition. I never was a true shopaholic, but I do like clothes and jewelry..lol. 

Respected Contributor

Wow! 10 inches of rain my backyard would be a sea of mud. Both dogs have no hesitation in getting muddy. Our previous Gt. Pyr, Sammy, hated to get dirty. Ever so carefully he would pick his way across the yard. Living on a hill does have it pluses.

A leaf blower might be a good idea for me. The locust tree out front has such small leaves it's almost Impossible to rake them up. I do most of the yard work. It may not be perfect but it gets done. Not an I  glad we got the gutter guards out front. R was just to the point where he felt well enough to start taking over some of it when he flew down the stairs breaking his neck shattering his wrist.

I do enjoy the days temperatures are in the 70's and the sun is out. Our recycling just got picked up. Laundry is in the dryer. I just need to get down to the cellar and retrieve it.

I love the statement- a tired dog equals a happy owner. So true.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope your headache goes away soon, and your infusion provides you with pain relief, Barbara. Glad V and Syd can help with the groceries.  Good idea to get your plane tickets.

That is a whole lot of rain, chessielady.  Glad your able to do some work around the house and the dogs are taking it easy.

Your grass certainly grows quickly, Claudia.  I used to do the yard work when I was in Maryland, and that continued here.  But, I have started hiring a landscaper once or twice a year to help trim the bushes, etc.  I was getting all scratched up, and it took me ages to get things done.

My audiologist appointment went fine, and now I know more about how to clean/maintain them.  She told me that her visits (my visits to her) are at no charge, and she will provide things to do the cleaning, etc.  The batteries can be disposed in the trash (no mercury or whatever.)  She wants to hear from me in a few weeks, and see me every four-six months.

It is hot here, but it does look like it might rain any minute.  I'd sure like your Fall temperatures, but that isn't going to happen around here for a while -- like November or so.  LOL

I'll be visiting DH in an hour or so, and I'm hoping the regular caregiver is there since I baked some banana bread for him. 

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda