Esteemed Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS -- Week of September 21

[ Edited ]

I realize that I should have started a new thread yesterday, but.....  You were certainly busy yesterday, Claudia.  Glad Adam went to Reserves and wanted you to go to family day.  Middle DGS had Reserves last weekend as well.  DD is concerned that he will not pass his PT test next month.  Hopefully, that will not be a problem.  How nasty to dump dogs at Whit's house.  Hope they are okay.  

The ear plugs are mostly for showers and when I have my hair washed, etc.  I do use earplugs for swimming, but they are the regular type.  I did ask the audiologist about using these ones for swimming and he did not encourage me.

Nice pictures of you, your cousin, and your birthday Aunt on FB, Barbara. Hope you had a great time.

We are having a pretty rare rainy day -- actually it is supposed to rain today and tomorrow.  Some areas may get flash floods.  Since DH really doesn't like walking in the rain, I decided to skip it this morning.  I may take a walk this afternoon, and maybe he will join me.  It is supposed to be much cooler today -- like high in the low 80's instead of the 90's.

DD texted me yesterday that my SIL had extreme vertigo, and she had taken him to the urgent care.  Hope the medicine he was prescribed works well.

Nothing exciting going on here.  Hope both of you have a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPOHOLICS -- Week of September 21

We had such a nice weekend .it was wonderful to catch up with my cousins and see my aunt. She is very frail and has macular degeneration but is pretty sharp. She did not recognize me initially and then kept looking at me and finally said..you look just like Jean ( my mother) and then knew who I was. 

The he food was fanulous, beef brisket , pulled pork, and many other dishes. We had home made ice cream for dessert. There is nothing better than Iowa farm cooks. Yum

i had a great visit with my cousin, Jean, who was in the picture with me. She is my sister. She is an Episcopal priest and her husband is a deacon I the Catholic Church so we have great discussions. We visited my moms tony home town and shared many memories.

we got home late afternoon. Syd was so excited to see us. After mollie washed her hair she discovered that she had a bad lice infestation. Yikes. 😜 it took the two of us an hour to comb through her thick curly hair.  Today is a massive wash day ad we are rotating stuffed animals through the chest freezer. 

I am am going to try and post

Respected Contributor

ra continuation....linda, hope your sil got some relief from the vertigo. That is great that your dgs did so well in football. I think it is better to apply to college sooner rather than later. Is your kitchen back together????

claudia, busy time for you. 

I have a luch luch date with a friend. I will check back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Still waiting for the pantry door and a few more touches in the kitchen.  My guess is that the door wasn't ready on time, but I'm not sure about that.

Sorry about the lice -- yikes!  Glad it was such a fun weekend with good food and company.

Respected Contributor

Barbara it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Those are to be treasured. What a nightmare it must have been combing Syd's hair. We had that with Whit once as she got it from someone at daycare. Unfortunately it was just as she started a new school.

I'll have to check FB for the pictures.

R is having quite a bit of pain. He won't admit it's gotten worse since he started bowling. I think we'll stop at the VA's urgent care after his 3 morning appointments. He even resorted to mother's old walker. Stress test has been scheduled for very early Thursday morning at the local hospital. I'm glad we don't have to make another trip to the VA hospital for it.

I need to decide where to put the kitchen island (old enamel top cupboard and a coffee table if R's using a walker.

7 young kittens were racing around the spare room this morning playing. I had to watch my step.

Linda, I hope your sil's vertigo is better. That is such an awful feeling. Why is it that remodeling always takes longer than you think?

Respected Contributor

Good morning...I did a quick grocery run after I droppedsyd at school. Now v is tackling her room...I have sprayed all of the stuffies in there and he is taking the bedding off the bunk beds. M said she is very grateful to us for doing this. She'd better be ..lol

Claudia, v was in horrible pain before his surgery. He does not have too much longer before he gets some relief. You have lots of kittens running around..what are you going todo with them????

linda, hope your volunteer job goes well.

i will check back later

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS -- Week of September 21

[ Edited ]

Good Morning!  Sorry about R's pain, Claudia.  Hope that all his appointments go okay.  Also hope your kittens and other pets are behaving.

Difficult to work around a walker.  I found that out when I used one for a while after my accident.  Not sure if I mentioned it, but things are progressing with the money from the other driver's insurance.  I received e-mail copies of release forms last week which I filled out and took to a notary, and the lawyer's office has already received them.  They will let me know when the check is received and deposited.  

DD is pretty discouraged about my SIL -- he was not good on Saturday and then had the vertigo on Sunday.  The medicine prescribed by the urgent care doctor helped him a little, but then he was even more nauseous so he said he would not take more.  She will try to make an appointment with an ENT, but who knows how long that will take.  I suggested she look into support groups since she sounded very down.

Yesterday was a pretty down day for me as well.  The lady in my newcomers group passed away -- about your age, I think Claudia.   Her DH was nice enough to let everyone know on FB.  I feel so sorry for him.  Meanwhile, DH had another accident yesterday, and it took quite a while to clean up, etc.  The particularly bad part was that he didn't have any idea that something had happened.  I'm pretty worried that he will not be able to go to the adult day care if he has this sort of problem.  Fingers crossed that things work out.

I can't imagine getting lice out of Syd's hair, Barbara.  Poor girl.  That seems to be a problem in many schools, unfortunately.  Hope you are feeling okay.

We have the senior lunch program today, and I plan to go to the gym later.

Hope both of you have a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- What a lot of work to get rid of those bugs, Barbara.  I am sure M is most grateful -- not fun.  

Respected Contributor

Linda, you need a lot of (((()hugs)))). It must be very difficult with dh.  you are an angel even though I can only imagine the frustrations. Have you had a good talk with his kids about the progression of the disease????? I hope the daycare works out.

and your poor dd. a support group might be good for her. It is usually helpful to talk with others in the same situation. 

I am am glad that you have some outlets and I hope you have some supportive friends. 

If if it turns out that he cannot get into daycare, look at some respite care for you.

(((((((many hugs)))$)

Respected Contributor

Linda..forgot to mention about your friends passing. Unfortunately, we are at the age where that is going to happen. 

We we always find some people have died while we were gone over the summer.

Respected Contributor

Oh, Linda. What a time you're having with DH. Fingers crossed for the daycare. Meanwhile you might consider goingah eadw ith some respite care. Poor DD. I agree a support group might be a help. I know when R went off his medication some years back it was a terrible time until they found something that worked.

Barbara, M should really appreciate all the work you've done. I remember you saying she has many stuffed animals. A former co-workers daughter had that problem years ago and had very long thick hair. I know he was ready to have it cut short.

R was issued a walker and various other aids today. After his 3 appts we went to their urgent care which took a long time. He was given a muscle relaxer aafter they compared x-rays taken today to the ones in June and talked to the surgeon. who said he should have been issued a walker before this. We were gone from 8 this morning to almost 6 tonight.

No idea about the kittens.