Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of September 1

It is going to start raining soon on this cool day. I have some laundry going...I am pretty unmotivated today..lol.

V seems to be feeling fine..Linda..his procedure was not so much for varicose veins, but the shut the vein down that was not working properly to prevent future blood clots. He has one varicose vein but it is on the other leg. I am very grateful that I do not have those.

our long term care policy is for 5 years and it would cover about half the cost of a nursing home. 

linda..my mom also used to ask the same question over and over. Sounds as if the local person who organizes tours could have some interesting ones. We were in Greece once and I really enjoyed it.

Claudia Pepper went through a stage of digging in the yard. We broke her of that habit pretty quickly. ...those blow up beds that are regular bed height are very nice. We have those in Az.

have a good day...I am going to vegetate.🐲🐲

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of September 1

Hope you can relax after you get the laundry done, Barbara. Glad V is feeling fine.  Also glad you and V have long term care policies.  It is always a gamble about how much and how long, and we always hope that it won't be used, but.....  Sorry your Mom's policy didn't last as long as needed, Claudia.  I remember them saying three years should be adequate, but......  I think my small policy is only for three years, and I think you have to wait at least 60 days before either policy starts to pay.

One of the ladies in my "strong bones" class is Greek (born in the U.S., but fluent in Greek and goes there every year for several months.)  And, I love hearing her stories.  It has been on my "bucket list" forever.  Egypt used to be there as well, but now I'm concerned about the safety of traveling there.

Fortunately, none of my dogs did random digging in the yard, but one did dig to get under the fence for an escape route.  Glad that Pepper stopped that quickly.

I have two blow up beds -- twin which isn't as tall as a regular bed, and queen that is.  I really prefer the taller one.  Now that I have the sofa bed in the "office" neither bed has been used in quite a while.  But, I guess I will keep them as long as I have the space.  

DD texted me today that the kids made it home safe and sound, which is a relief.  

Jo Ann called -- she is still having technical issues and the cable guy (who was supposed to fix her phone line) stood her up yesterday.  She is very frustrated.

I don't think DH asked the same questions over and over very much, but he didn't talk much either.  I know others in my Caregivers group have had this issue, and it can be maddening for a spouse.  I just found it sad since this was the first time my patient did so.

Hope both of you are okay today and sleep well tonight.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Mother's 3 year policy was more than long enough luckily. It was just getting her resources down to Medicaid limits. Long term care paid nursing home cost and Medicaid  plus her SS picked up the rest.

We had rain here too.R had me helping him cut insulation for his garage project. I barely had time to mow out back before the rain began.

I remember your Greek trip, Barbara. When younger that was one of the places I wanted to visit.. Never Egypt for some reason. As a sidenote one of my clerical partners went to Egypt with her high school choir group. Years later she came down with Bechet's Disease. Rare here but more common in the Middle East and Africa. She ended up with disability retirement.

I'm glad V is feeling well post surgery.

Tip continued digging today. Maybe she's hunting moles. Griffyn takes security seriously. Whatever is moved into the garage he has to check out. Once he's checked it out he's fine.

Sorry your friend is still.having technical.problems, Linda. That can be so frustrating. We have a rollaway bed but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for Adam's back. It's good to hear the grandkids made it home. Hope they enjoyed themselves.

Respected Contributor

Happy LBor Day.  It remains cool here..I am packing my summer things away. M and syd are going to see “The Lion King”....I am finishing the laundry.

Amie called and has to have a follow up after her first mammogram. I cannot believe both of my daughters have had to go through this at almost the same time. 

Linda..glad the grands returned safely from their concert. It an be very frustrating when one has recurrent tech problems. What are you up to today??

Decided to go on a short walk...the dr told him that he has to move me re and should walk for 20 to 30 minutes a day. 

Claudia hope you are having a decent day. 

My bloodcwark isxway off, which partially accounts for the way I have been feeling.

enjoy your day...grilled hamburgers tonight.🌻🌻

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy those grilled hamburgers, Barbara. Glad V is taking the doctor's advice and walking.  Your summer clothes will probably be helpful when you are visiting Phoenix, but I guess time as come to put them away in MN.  DD said she was putting away some of her summer things and donating others -- inexpensive T-shirts, etc.  Definitely too early to put away summer things here.

We did have some rain yesterday evening, and it was cooler last night and today.  Still should make it to the mid 90's or higher.  And, it should get back to 100 later in the week.

Sorry to hear about M needing follow-up from the mammogram, and your bloodwork being off.  I heard that the Lion King is very good, but I just don't like those types of movies.  

Jo Ann just called me because she is still having phone (land line) issues.  She could not get through to the cable company, so I called them, and they are supposed to call her on her cell. 

I had a pretty active morning -- walk, strong bones, and my personal training session.  I got some good tips, and I did better than I expected.  Win win as they say.  

The kids had a nice time at the concert, which is good.  DD is busy as usual.  

Sorry I misunderstood about your Mom, Claudia.  Hope the dogs and cats are behaving and you and R are doing okay.  

I may have mentioned that my undergraduate degree was in history, particularly European history.  And, I became intrigued with Egypt when I took ancient history.  Plus, Greece and then Rome.  I have done well with the Rome part (and Turkey), but.....  Interestingly enough, my SIL got a disease from the water in Mexico on one of his trips there to visit relatives.  It took a while for the U.S. doctors to figure out what he had since it is rare in the U.S.  We take so much for granted (like safe water and food) that is just not the case in many other countries.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I hope all goes well with Amie's follow-up, Barbara. Unbelievable to have this happen so close together. I'm glad V is trying to walk more. Sure hope your bloodwork improves. It's difficult to get things done when you don't feel well.

It was a cooler day here. R spent much of his time insulating the garage and I spent time helping and running errands. I did some laundry but it still needs put away.

Tip has been very mischievous. I'll be happy when she's past this stage. she is a scavengerespecially when it comes to the garage. At least Griff has accepted her. We still miss having a Newfie though.

Linda, I'm glad you were able to help your friend and get hold of the cable company. You certainly were active today.

I fixed salmon salad tonight using the canned salmon. I added some hard boiled eggs plus celery and onion.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is another gorgeous day here. Sydnie made it to school..the bus was 10 minutes early so she was glad m took her to the bus stop. She texted m to tell she got there 25 minutes early, so she dropped allergy stuff with the nurse and got to her classroom with plenty of time to spare.

she is ver yo self confident.

i cannot wait until she comes home.

v had a tooth pulled this morning...he has been sleeping a lot.

Linda..I have always loved history..took several classes in college. Your younger grands must be pretty busy with work and college. Hope your volunteer lunch goes well.

that hurricane has really devastated the Bahamas. 

Claudia..your salmon salad sounds delicious. Unfortunately, I would be the only one eating it. Poor Pepper is spending her day at the garage door waiting for Syd.

enjoy your day...🌺

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope Syd enjoyed her day, Barbara.  I'm glad M took her to the bus stop.  I guess Pepper is just going to have to learn that her girl is not home as much these days.  Your weather sounds very cool, particularly since it is so warm/hot here. 

I was hot at the senior lunch program which is quite unusual for me.  And, I was going so hard on the elliptical at the gym that one of my male gym friends said that I should slow down since perspiration was coming out on the back of my shirt -- yikes!

I did do more than usual today at the gym, and I'm convinced that I'll need to take a pain reliever before bed.  I didn't sleep well last night due to pain and brain going at super speed.  LOL

Hope you had a nice day, Claudia.  I would have liked your dinner last night as well. 

Things went pretty well at the lunch program -- we had just about the number of people who signed up (two extra), which was nice.  I don't like having lots less or lots more.

DD sent me a photo of the new outdoor lights my SIL put up -- very nice.  I don't think the deck is finished yet, but.....

You are correct about my grands -- very busy people.  Of course, that is true for their parents.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda.

Respected Contributor

It's a good thing M took Sydnie to the bus stop. I hope she had a great day, Barbara.

We got a call that the insurance approved R's Lupron shot so he gets that tomorrow morning. That was a quick approval. Thursday it's off to the VA pain clinic.

Such devastation in the Bahamas.

R had been working again in the garage. He's now at bowling. I've kept an eye on Tippy the mischief maker plus kept after R to have small snacks so his blood sugar doesn't plummet.

I'm glad the volunteer lunch went well with just the right amount of food, Linda. It's a good idea to take a pain reliever before bed.

I have my eye on some replacement outdoor lights but I'd like to replace the front door first. Tippy's puppy food was delivered today just as I ran out. Originally it was to arrive Saturday but was delayed due to the holiday.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I am organized for my quick trip to Phoenix. I am bringing dresses to wear because it is going to be quite warm. I have leggings with a shirt an light wight jacket for the plNe. 

Sydnie found her first day interesting...she said the boy next to her slept through one of the classes and tried to take her pencil to sign thexseating chart. She did not let him have it.i am glad that she has a lot of self confidence. She said that she ate lunch with friends from her middle and elementary school.

unfortunately, I am not having good results from the infusion yet. I started prednisone today, so I will be ok in Phoenix. 

Linda..Glad you lunch went well yesterday. I wonder if you are having pain because of your new exercise routine. .?? Hope you feel better.

Amie has to have more tests from her breast ultrasound yesterday. She is going to the Mayo Clinic for follow up..she does not want to mess with small town docs. I still can’t believe both of my girls are going through this. We have no history on m but there is no breast cancer anywhere in our families.

Claudia..our decorative lights have had trouble surviving our hard winters..I do not think I will put them up again.

have a great day.🌻🌻