Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 25

Good morning..it is a beautiful warm, sunny morning. The high will be 90.  I need to run some errands..ultra for shampoo and kohls for pjs.

the house is nice and clean...we need to work on the az room but will do that next week.

claudia..sounds as if 2 more kittens will be gone. Yikes on rs leg..blood clots are a potential after that surgery..hope he gets it checked out.

linda, too bad dgs did not pass his physical...will he get another chance. It is difficult when young adults live at home....I know from experience lol.

i. Will check back later

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 25

Glad all is clean there, Barbara.  Turns out that 20 soldiers failed the test, and DGS was very close to passing.  They are allowing them to re-take the test in three months.  Hopefully, he will pass then.

Nice and warm here as well, but not as warm as it will be there.  Hope you aren't in pain today, or at least much pain.

Do keep us updated about the kittens, Claudia.  Hope that most can be adopted.  I'd be very concerned about the blood clot possibility for R.  Hope he is okay.

DH got up several times last night, but he remembered to put his underwear back on, so I didn't have to get out of bed.  That was great.  We had a nice walk this morning, and then I went to church.  We will be leaving for the gym soon.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..it was gooddh could take care of himself last night. We do have the ac on but it is a bit warmer here. Enjoy your gym time.

so I went shopping...not a lot to pick up but I had trouble walking out of Walmart.  I had a cart to hang on to....this disease is so weird. I plan on siting for a while..will finish my sills Christmas stocking.

Respected Contributor

Linda, how nice DH had no problem last night. Makes it so much easier for you. I thought DGS could retake the pt test at a later date. That is something Adam still needs to do and he may not pass given back issues.

One more kitten found a home. The male tabby. Pretty sure it's a male. Eileen will get hers tomorrow- just one. That will leave 4. 3 really since Adam chose one.

I find a cart is good to hang on to, Barbara if I've spent some time in the store. Those floors can do me in.

R surprisingly opted to skip today's shoot.

Respected Contributor

I was gone all morning...was to interview a candidate for director of our little choir here but he did not have directions..so it may happen tomorrow. I spent time catching up with some of my friends.

v is off to play pool and make a target run...I am going to complete the stockings I made..weave in ends, cross stitch the name eyc. 

It it is pretty warm here. 88 pr so. One of my friends husband found a rattle snake in his walking shoes that he leaves outside. Yikes!!!  Welcome to the desert..lol.

linda..hope your day is going well...I read that dh was up a lot on the other thread. Google sundowners syndrome and see if that might be going on. 

Claudia..only 3 homes to. Find...that is good.

i will check back later.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon!  Sorry you had problems at Wal Mart, Barbara.  What a miserable disease you have.  DH's DGD who had JRA is doing better, but still needs eye drops.  

I think our house has cooled down so the heat doesn't get inside so much.  That probably doesn't make sense, but I know that the reverse happens in the winter -- it can be pretty warm outside, but cold inside.

Glad to hear about the kitten, Claudia.  Hope the rest find good homes.  Apparently, these are new PT regulations, which probably explains why so many failed the test.  There is a new sergeant there who seems most interested in helping.  And, they gave the soldiers a plan for passing next time.  DGS had lost some weight, which is good.  How is R doing today?

Poor DD has been having abdominal pains for the past four nights.  She said it sort of felt like her gall bladder pain, but she already had the gall bladder removed.  And, it is really a problem at night.  She ended up buying some OTC GERD medicine but may need to go to the doctor if it does not help.

DH was not good last night -- first, he kept wanting to go to bed (starting at 5:00 p.m.), and then woke up at 2:30, 4:00, 4:40 etc.  He didn't remember about the underwear, so I had to get up.  Also, he had an accident in his pants after our walk.  Fortunately, the mess was mostly confined, but I am getting discouraged again.  I talked to his DD last night, and she thought he was a little worse, but maybe not that much worse than when she was here in April.  I didn't want to press, but I think he is considerably worse.  She still is talking about me having someone come in to help, which I will do, but....

We had a nice walk this morning, and then I had the strong bones class.  One lady wasn't there (we are down to four), and next Monday, two will be out.  I told the other lady to let me know if her plans change since I don't want to go by myself.

The defensive driving class is going slowly, but I am pretty determined to get that done before the car insurance is due in the middle of next month.  

I will go to the store with DH soon -- I don't need much, but he likes to get out of the house.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- glad you had a good time with your friends, Barbara.  I have no doubt that DH has that problem, just no idea what to do about it.  Maybe the neurologist will have some ideas, but last time he just told me to keep him active.  Good luck with that. One of the reasons I like the day services is they have activities that keep him awake during the day.  I run out of ideas and energy trying to come up with activities.  The new doctor told me that I should try melatonin or  Tylenol PM, but they didn't work.  

I really should not complain, sorry.

Respected Contributor

Feel free to vent, Linda. It's a difficult situation at best and draining for the one that has to deal with it. Wouldn't you know Dh's problems with sleep and accidents wouldn't happen during his DD's visit. Hope your DD feels better.

Eileen picked her kitten up earlier this afternoon. One of the black kittens really wanted to go- kept climbing in her carrierwhile the tabby kept climbing out and getting in our carrier. Counting Adam's kitten 4 are left. Better than 7.

A rattler- yikes, Barbara. Definitely worse than bees.There used to be many in our area especially in the late 50's to mid 60's when the dam was being built.

Respected Contributor

Linda..I think that those who do not live with it, have no idea what dementia is really. His dd needs to spend more than a day..how nice if she came and cared for him for a few days.  My brothers did the same thing with me about my mom...they did not think she was that bad. That changed when my youngest brother came to visit for a week....we ended up looking for assisted living with memory care. I honestly think dh is getting to the point where the care he requires is too much. Would you consider putting him in day care every day to give you a much needed break???? And are you looking at memory care facilities??

i really care and worry about you...?This situation is both physically and emotionally draining.  And if you get ill or hurt, what will happen then.????

sorry about dd...my mom actually had a gallstone after the gallbladder had been removed a few years previously. Hope she feels better.

i did not realize the his did had jra....she will have ra as an adult I believe. One learns to adjust to it.

i hope I am not over stepping my boundaries but I really worry about you. I will tell you that after my sil went into a care facility, her dh said he should have done it much earlier. He has no regrets.

((((((hugs)))))

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Barbara.  I'm not to the breaking point yet.  I was just so discouraged about what happened yesterday evening and this morning.  I think you are right about his DD -- she didn't really do anything for him while she was here -- at least in terms of dressing, cleaning, etc.  She did say that she would come and stay with him for a while if I wanted, and I said I would probably need her next spring.  She needs to give the hospital three months notice, so I will be sure to let her know in time.  She told me that when she cared for her Mom (while DH was abroad for a couple of weeks), it was very difficult.  Of course, her Mom had a brain tumor rather than dementia, but.....

I read some of the suggestions for Sundowners, and I'll try to do some of those things.  We'll see.  He sleeps so very much in the daytime that is no wonder he can't sleep at night.

I mentioned to his DD that I was considering sending him to day care two days a week, and she wasn't very enthused.  I think she would prefer me to have someone come here, but my point is that they would probably end up watching him sleep rather than engaging him in activities.  I will look at some memory care places when I have some breathing room, etc.  As you probably know, they are not inexpensive.  And, given his good physical health, DH could end up there for many years.  So, I would rather try other options first.  Some people have asked me if I would go to assisted living with him, and I would not.  For one thing, I don't need their services, and they are pricey.  Also, I am no where near ready to give in the towel on myself.  I feel that I'm a pretty healthy person.  I know that time might come, but I'm not there yet.

Definitely looking forward to going back to the support group after my OLLI classes are over.  I need to miss the next one, unfortunately, but the following one should work.  The ladies have discussed the whole issue of when to go for assisted living, respite care, etc.  

I really appreciate your concern, and I am sorry if my "tales of woe" are making you feel bad.  It is great that both of you are so caring and helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm leaving for the hospital shortly.  DH had problems on our walk -- was walking very fast, and then sort of collapsed on the sidewalk.  A neighbor lady helped me get him up and home.  But, I called the fire department, and they took him to the hospital.  They told me to take my time, which I'm doing since I need time to de-compress a little.  

Hope to post later.  He is probably okay, but good to have him checked out.

Hugs,

Linda