Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 20

Praying for your nephew, Barbara. 

Hope Adam made it home safe and sound.  I imagine it was less expensive for Adam to drive, Claudia.  I thought of you when I picked up some honey after going to the clinic.  

I guess I am feeling sightly better, but still not good.  I am having a great deal of trouble eating or drinking anything.  But, I had part of a bowl of soup and some yogurt with honey for dinner.  

Canceling/postponing tomorrow's activities made sense to me.  Not sure I will still be feeling this way by Thursday, and I sure hope not.  But, I didn't want to take the chance at the ear doctor's office.

I heard from my boss at the senior lunch program that two other "regulars" -- one older and one younger than me have been out for two weeks with a "bug" of some sort that has been going around the area.  So, maybe it had nothing to do with the trip. But, I was certainly exposed to lots of coughing and sneezing people  Not as bad as on your Scotland tour, Claudia.  That was a nightmare.

Thanks for your well wishes.  Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!

I am better today, thank goodness, and I was able to take a walk plus eat breakfast.  I still don't want to do much since I am not sure if how I will feel later, and the Therflu brings up phlegm, which is good but requires quick trips to the bathroom.  Hopefully, this virus is on its way out soon, and I can get back to my normal life.

I saw this was the birthdate of your eldest son, Barbara.  I am sure it is a time for remembrance and always will be.  He would be near the age of DH's son (September 1971).  Thinking of you.

How far is it from your house to where Adam lives in OK, Claudia.  It was about 2,400 miles from where we lived in Maryland to here in Arizona, and it took 3 1/2 pretty full days of driving to get here.  Of course, we always ended up with detours, etc., and didn't drive much after 6:00 at night if possible. DH did a lot of the driving, but I did some.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a younger person could do the drive in a much shorter time, but I was worn out enough with our pace.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I am having a difficult time getting into the forums today.

Thanks for your kind thoughts..the memory is easier but it still can be a hard day.i had a nice lunch and a long talk with my newly widowed friend who is struggling.

Linda..glad you are feeling better but hope you are not pushing with exercise and walking etc.i would hate for you to have a relapse.

Claudi hope you are having a good day..I think this may be a va day.

it is 90 here but not too bad.

Sleep well. 🌻🌻

Respected Contributor

It's never an easy day, Barbara. You just get through it the best you can. I'm glad you had a nice lunch and were able to chat with your friend. I hope your nephew's surgery went well.

Tomorrow is the VA day and it's an early appointment. R will also get his foot x-rayed while we're there. I have hopes of stopping at Wegmans on the way home. It was in the mid 50's today but sunny.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, Linda. Still, it's a good idea to take it easy.

I believe it's about a 15-16 hour drive to OK. Adam seems to sleep in (when not working) and then drive late into the night. He has today off then works days tomorrow.

I have a load of clothes waiting to be put away. I think they will have to wait till tomorrow. They're mostly summer clothes to be folded and stored in a bin. I'm heading to bed early tonight and setting the alarm just in case.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is a spectacular Az day..perfect weather, sunny and breezy with a temp of 80. I played bridge this morning.. very mediocre cards but it is fun.

i Plano. Knitting a bit this afternoon..there is a long choir practice tonight so I need to get  myself together. 

Linda..glad you are feeling better. I think having one of those monitors is good for those who live alone.,my mom never needed one because her snior apartment had a way to check on people 3x a day. 

Claudia. Hope your busy day is going ok.

enjoy...🎈🎈🍁

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm back home and R is bowling. He did cut back to 2 times a week though. It was a long day since we stopped at Wegmans on the way home. My shoulder aches after driving home.

As a test we didn't crate Tippy. She was good except for chewing the cheap slip cover I got at Aldi's for the loveseat. It could have been worse.

Tomorrow is pt in the morning then R's acupuncture in the afternoon.

I'm glad you enjoyed playing bridge and hope the long choir practice tonight won't be too tiring, Barbara.

I told R when he is in the garage working he should keep his cellphone with him.

I'm glad you are feeling better, Linda. and am interested in what you think of the monitor when you get it.

The past few nights I've found 17 year old Tigger sleeping on my bed in the middle of the night. Usually she sleeps in a cat bed at the top of the stairs.

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention that yesterday we got 3 scam phone messages around 3:00 pm, 4 pm, and 5 pm. All were recordings claiming to be from Social Security staying there was fraud in the account and to call a certain number. Smh.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lovely weather here as well, Barbara. Chamber of Commerce weather as they say.  

Glad you enjoyed cards, and hope you get some knitting done.  Any news on your nephew?

I never thought I would get one of those units until I was older, but Jean's fall scared me a great deal.  My Mom had one for a very short time, and the only time she used it was the night before she died.  She resisted, and I understood, but the thought of laying there with no help, food, water, etc.  No way.  I can cancel at any time if it doesn't work out, which is nice.

It must be much shorter to Oklahoma than here, Claudia.  DH and I usually drove around 10- 11 hours a day for 3 1/2 days (stopping for gas and fast food only) so that is why it took longer.  Usually kept up with the speed limit (except in construction zones), and some parts of Texas let you go 80 or 85 miles an hour.  

Hope your trip to the VA went okay.  I think I will put you in for the good caregiver award if there is one in your area.  Also good animal caregiver.  Try to pace yourself with the up and down stairs, etc.

I am even better today, but still taking medicine and taking it easy -- no gym, shorter walk, etc.  Lots of computer stuff, but that isn't exactly taxing (except when I have "issues".  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Looks like we were posting around the same time, Claudia.  Sorry about your shoulder.  Hope PT goes well for you tomorrow and the acupuncture for R.  Your post just confirms my good caregiver award idea.  Interesting about your cat.  I hate those calls, and I use call blocker on the landline and a different program on the cell.   Still, sometimes I manage to block the wrong number or they just call from a different number.  Too bad some people still fall for these things or they might give up.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Sunny, cool, and quite windy here. I try to sweep up flowers and leaves that blow on to my driveway from my neighbors bush, but it doesn't last very long.

I had a very nice talk with Jo Ann yesterday evening, but ended up with a coughing spell that was embarrassing.  And, the coughing bothered me last night.  So, I decided to fill the other prescription I was given plus purchase some cough syrup.  Decided to skip exercise class, but I did take a nice walk.  Then, I tackled the grocery stores, including the one with the pharmacy -- very long line, but....  I need gasoline, but another long line there.  Maybe later today.  My hospice patient is awake more, so if I'm doing okay (not coughing) tomorrow afternoon, I will be visiting her.  

Jo Ann seems to be doing better -- taking medications and getting good support from her family.  There are lots of decisions to be made, plus lots of health (including mental health) issues.    I have proposed a few ideas for our bookclub which isn't functioning well at all, and both Jo Ann and my other friend Kitty think my ideas are good, so I'll be composing an e-mail later.

DD knows how to crochet (not well, but...), and DGD has signed them up for a class at the community college that starts next month.  I think it will be good for DD, especially when she spends so much time waiting in the car.  Of course, I thought of your knitting, Barbara.  On a much smaller scale, of course.  

Youngest DGS' car is back in the shop (transmission fluid flying out), but fortunately there are no big plans there for the weekend.  DD spent a lot of time setting up medical appointments for DGD -- hearing and lung issues.  She was lucky enough to get a special hearing test for next Wednesday.  It will be a drive, but is included in their insurance (at least in part).  DGD is having all sorts of hearing issues which is difficult with conference calls.  So, hopefully, they will come up with a solution for her.

I called the doctor's office asking about the varicose vein procedure, and apparently they haven't applied to the insurance company yet.  At least I got a person who promised to look into it for me.  No one bothered to return my call from last week.  

Hope things went well for you and R today, Claudia.  Have you heard from Adam?  I hope he got home with no problems.  My nephew who lives in OK (horse rescue) is talking about going to Maryland in December.  It has been more than three years, so I'm sure my SIL will be happy to see him if he makes it there.

How are you feeling today, Barbara?  Hope choir practice wasn't too difficult.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Over the years I've had those coughing spells, Linda. They're horrible. I hope the cough medicine and the prescription help.

Tippy has been at her loudest. Barking and bouncing about trying to push Griffyn away from any attention. 

I had my pt this morning then picked up Griffyn's large breed dog food. It's sitting in the car waiting for R to carry it in since I can't. While I was out he got a call the contractor would check the roof from inside the attic. I vacuumed and shut the cats in 2 rooms (didn't want any mischief makers roaming the attic). Then shut Griffyn in the kitchen and Tippy in her crate. It was all for nothing as he never showed.I

I hope there's a good solution for DGD's hearing problem plus the lung issue.

It's a darn good thing you got after the doctor's office. I hope they get a move on and contact your insurance company.

Adam messaged me when he got back to Tulsa Tuesday night. He had Wednesday off and started back to work yesterday. Former silI posted he's in a relationship. Good for him. I'm afraid when Whit gets wind of it she'll do her best to derail it.

Barbara, I hope you're able to rest up today. Argh! 7:15 here and I'm wondering if it's bedtime yet.