Esteemed Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS -- Week of October `17

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you are feeling okay today, Barbara and V. is better.  I saw the baby blanket and hat you knitted on FB, and they are lovely.

Also hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.

It is a quiet Sunday for me.  I enjoyed church, made it to the gym, and have done a little cooking so far.

The Caregiver who wants me to pick up groceries called just as I got home from the gym to ask me to do it tomorrow.  It is a bit complicated since I have two OLLI classes plus my own Walmart pick-up, but we managed to settle on a time that works for us and Walmart. 

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I find I am often better able to sleep in the cooler weather than in the summer.  Probably need to turn down the AC in the summer (stop being such a cheapskate.)

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS -- Week of October `17

thanks gor starting,Linda. Glad you got tomorrow worked out.

I spent the dat helping m get things for the dance banquet on Tuesday night. sydnie had a photography assignment that involved her going to the next suburb to take pics. It has an old tome downtown with restaurants and fun shops in buildings that date from the 1880s. It is also the zhalloween capitol of the country. It was a lovely day. I took my walker so was able to walk many blocks without too much trouble. Syd said we walked over a mile. 

I found outs that Syd yties to get in 25000 steps a day. 

V is ready to come home. I talked to my sweet ftiend whose husband died of cancer a couple of years ago.,She gave me some great pointers. She is dealing with her own recurrence of melanoma

,her prognosis sounds good.

enjoy your evening. Fingers crossed that a hospital bed is on the way.

🎃🎃🎃👻👻

Respected Contributor

That's a beautiful baby blanket and hat, Barbara. I'm glad you had a lovely day with Sydnie and were able to walk all that way with the walker. I bet V is more than ready to get home.

Tomorrow sounds like a busy day, Linda. I agree on turning the AC a notch in summer. A good night's sleep is worth it.

Today was cool and we had a bit more rain. Wonder of wonders the remotes work again for the car doors. What a relief. 

I took the old 5' cat tree apart today with the help of an allen wrench and carried the replacement upstairs. I'm debating keeping the old cylinder shaped cubby hole as immediately a cat occupied it. Not sure where I will put it as the replacement cat tree is where the old one was. Most of the pieces are out with the garbage.

One more bin of clothing emptied. Progress is slow with the cats help. Sleep well.

Respected Contributor

yup, I knew I would pay for yesterday. After getting M. Home from her surgical procedure, I decided to clean the inside car windows.,I accomplished that without a problem but when I went to put the paper towels in the garbage, I tripped over one of the leaf bags and fell...CRASH!!!!

i fell on my replaced knee, hurt my sternum, bruised my face etc and I could not get up. M came out to help, which she should not have done. Yikes. I am pretty sore,.will be more tomorrow.How stupid is all I can say

i think someone talked to the sw, because she called me this morning and got the bed arranged and also home health care. What a surprise...I may not complain, PT said he has to have a wheelchair to go out so they are giving his own wheelchair. ,The one he has is huge and heavy an will be very difficult for me to manage. At this point if he goes out, it has to be in a wheelchair . They also said he is not ready to come home because he is so weak. 

oh my is all I can say.

This is a great way to lose weight..lol

Hope your day is going well. 🎃🎃🎃

Respected Contributor

Oh Barbara, I'm so sorry you fell. I bet you are hurting today. How long were you out there before M got you up?

At least the hospital bed and home health care is seemingly straightened out.

R had pt today . I have tried to convince him if something feels off or hurts more he ought to mention it  so it's included in the report but  no he won't.

R demonstrated the cordless leaf blower. I think he bought the largest one offered. We noticed our elderly neighbor down the street had left his 4 way lights on so knocked on his door. He drops his wife out at the curb and helps her in the house as she is not very mobile  so puts his 4 ways on. Then he has to turn around and park on the other side of the street - no driveway.  This was mid afternoon and they seem to go out every morning for breakfast so the lights may have been on for hours.

I see my niece posted more wedding photos. It looks like a lovely informal wedding. The bride wore cowboy boots with her dress. It was outside on their property.

This morning I woke up with cold feet. I guess it's time to get the fleece sheets out. To make sure I would do it tonight, I washed the quilt. It's time to get the quilt out of the dryer and make the bed.

Linda, I hope your day went well and you were able to get everything done.

It was 55° degrees when I got up this morning.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Evening!  Hope your day went well, Claudia.  Sounds like you are making progress -- slow or not -- with the clothes, etc.  Also hope R and your furbabies are okay.

So sorry about your fall, Barbara.  Also sorry M was the one who had to come out and help rather than your neighbor.  Glad the social worker called, and it looks like V will have the bed, etc.  Ready or not, guess he is coming home tomorrow.  Really hope that goes okay.  I remember when hospice sent a wheelchair for DH.  I really thought I was going to have a heart attack or something trying to push the chair up our even very slight hills.  It was difficult to get him out of the house, back in, and he went way too fast when going downhill.  I told hospice they could take it away because it was just too much for me. Of course, he had one when he was in memory care, but I never needed to put it in the car, and there were no hills or door issues to worry about.  

It is a shame that the insurance won't pay for him to stay longer.

My day was even busier than expected, and now I have another hospice job for tomorrow.  The regular volunteer couldn't help one of the caregivers who has an eye appointment tomorrow morning.  I'm not thrilled to have to go early, etc., but I didn't want to let her down.  Hope my regular patient's caregiver doesn't want help this week -- yikes!

My SIL went to the doctor, and his blood pressure is way too high.  So he is starting a medication, and the doctor wants to see him again in a week or two.  Meanwhile, the doctor gave him his flu shot (he always has a reaction, but not too bad), and DD and DGD also had their flu shots at the pharmacy.  DGD got a pneumonia shot as well since she has asthma.  All three may get booster shots at some point (they had the J&J vaccine), but the doctor doesn't have any yet.

The good (and it is potentially very good) news is that DD had a call from the volunteer place where she worked, and they are interested in her for a paid position.  Not a lot of money, but something she believes in, and she can have regular hours, etc.  She wants to start half-time since my SIL needs her, but would consider full-time employment in the future.  She can put her signing work on hold for a while.  The really neat part is that this organization helps seniors to stay in their homes -- provides rides, etc., and she could help notarize documents for them as another service.  She is so excited.  I really hope she gets the job.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- We were posting around the same time, Claudia.  Too bad R won't speak up about his PT  That must be some leaf blower.  Hope your neighbor's battery doesn't die.  It was the same temperature here this morning (55 degrees), but made it up to 80 this afternoon.  It is supposed to go down to 51 degrees tonight.  That feels chilly to me.  The house has retained some of the heat so far, but I'm sure it will be too cool for me soon.  I usually start out with a blanket, and then work up to the fleece sheets.

Respected Contributor

That's great news for your DD, Linda. I hope she gets the position.

It definitely didn't reach 80° here. I think it was in the lower 60's.

While R was at pt I picked up more yogurt for him and soup. I also stopped by Aldi's. I picked up a  4 slice toaster.  The price was right and it has a 3 year warranty. Our current toaster is about 20 years old and only 2 slices.Lately we've had to use it on the lowest setting. I had eyed various more expensive and retro style toasters but reviews were so-so.

I hope everything goes better than expected tomorrow, Barbara. M must have been horrified to see you on the ground.

Respected Contributor

this has been a busy day. V came hone via transportation from the care center. I was on speaker when he talked to the NP and she said there was no way we could get the wheelchair in the house. So he conceded.

He ended up sitting up waiting for the bed, which arrived 2 hours after he did. He ended up with a brand new bed, fully electric. He said it is very comfortable. 

Tomorrow home health care will come out and make an assessment. It sounds like he will get the entire package. 

I am pretty sore today and still feel off balance. My daughters are treating me like I ama dottering old fool. V3 not at all. Lack of balance is common with flares in RA.

Linda ..good for dd. I hope it wotks out for her. Hope your sil can get his bp under control . And I hope you had a good day.

Claudia, I had to get a toaster last year. I chose a retro 4 slice with the ability to toast bagel and English muffins.

V thinks we are leaving for Az inn3 weeks.🤪😜🤯

Have a good night.🌙💤 

Respected Contributor

Leaving for AZ in 3 weeks? Oh my. Smh. Glad the bed arrived and has all the "bells and whistles", Barbara. I bet you are sore today.

R ordered a " safety harness"for the tree stand. All the instructions are in what I think is Chinese. The webbing is twisted in places but cannot be straightened as it is sewn. I do not believe it will fit over a hunting jacket. 

I could picture him stuck partway up and partway down the tree stand looking like one of Tolkien's dwarves  coco ones by spiders. He didn't think it funny.

So far the toaster is working well. The retro does appeal to me but this fits well on the counter. I did move things so it is not against the Keurig. I could just picture filling the water tank and water spilling into the toaster.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad V is home and the bed arrived, Barbara.  Not too realistic expectation about when you will be back here, but I guess it doesn't hurt to dream.  Good that V will be getting the full treatment, and he agreed to be transported.  

I'm not at all surprised that you are sore and a bit off balance today.  That must have been quite a fall.  I remember when the lady I used to walk with in the neighborhood told me that she wasn't planning to tell her children about her fall because they would chalk it up to her age (she was just turning 70) and decide she needed to go to a home or something.  All I can say is that even those of us who don't have RA have those falling issues, and it doesn't mean that we are ready for the scrap heap so to speak.

I purchased a two-slice toaster last year or the year before, and I am not at all thrilled with it.  The toast either turns out too cooked or overcooked depending on which setting I use.  Probably won't buy a new one soon unless I find a bargain on a good one.  I do love toast and have it almost every morning.

Glad you like your new toaster, Claudia.  That is some image of the safety harness.  I am really bothered when directions are not in English or are so small that I cannot read them.

DD had not heard back about the job, but fingers crossed.  She said my SIL wasn't feeling well, but more like mild flu symptoms.  She had another signing this morning, which again was weird (long story).

As you may have read on the other thread, my hospice visit went well.  I also made it to the gym. 

Tomorrow I have a hair (cut) appointment in the morning and mammogram in the afternoon.  I received a letter from my health insurance saying that the specialty pharmacy (where I get my Prolia) is changing again in 2022.  Back and forth we go.  I hope that I won't need to get another pre-approval from the doctor, but I think that I will.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda