Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED. SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 12

I hope there is no big problem with Whit, Claudia.  I would feel the same about possibly finding bad news late in the evening.

Good news about mother cat.

You are quite correct about them saying the wrong thing to R.  Hope he doesn't mess up his hip.

Unfortunately, the nurse called and said that she doesn't like DH's TB test.  He will need to get a chest X-ray.  Hope the doctor will prescribe it, and it can be done quickly.  Also hope there is no TB.  He can't go back to the adult day services if he has untreated TB.  And, I think the treatment can take quite a while.  Just what I didn't need.  

Respected Contributor

I woke up early...but that s ok.  We have a 6 hour drive to our next place which is in the south eastern part of the state at Klamath falls.  No more ocean.

linda, I had wondered about dhs to test..AS I RECALL IT CAN ALSO indicate that he was exposed at some time. Hopefully, it will not complicate matters.

it might be a good idea to get your back checked out. Are you thinking of getting some respite care in to help in addition to the day care????  

Hope dd dd is feeling better. I did not realize that you grandchildren who are old enough do not drive. I know the oldest one does. My step dgs has been driving since he was 15...the age in North Dakota, but he has a part time job to pay for insurance. 

Claudia..hope r does not mess up his hip. Usually they are told not to bend, cross legs and generally be careful.  Glad mama cat made it through well.  Hope whit is ok and just wanted to check in.

Syd is off of school so is going to a 2 day camp at the big animal shelter with a friend. I will get a call tonight.

Enjoy your day

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Barbara -- hope you like your new location.  Sounds nice, but I guess you will miss the ocean.  Syd's camp sounds interesting.

DH was having a good time at the day care when I picked him up, which is good.  The bad part is that he cannot go back as long as the TB question is up in the air.  The doctor had his blood test results back, and all is well.  He ordered the x-ray, and we managed to get it done yesterday afternoon.  Now the wait to hear the results.  The technician said that the skin test shows that you have been exposed to TB, and once you have a positive skin test, you will always have one (oh joy!)  Of course, DH doesn't remember being exposed to TB, and I have no clue when it might have happened.  

DH's DD said that when her patients have latent TB (exposed, but not happened), they are required to go on an antibiotic for nine months and be checked monthly for liver? damage. I don't know if that will happen to DH or not.  Also, I do not know the policy on attending adult day care if you are being treated.  The nurse said something about the health department, but I could not find anything their website.

My back was better yesterday afternoon/evening, and much better today, thank goodness.  I asked the doctor what he recommended, and he said alternate heat and cold and take a painkiller.  I was able to dress DH this morning, and I could walk a bit faster.  

DH had an accident yesterday evening which really set me off -- I ended up giving him a shower and doing laundry at 10:00 at night or so.  

I am definitely thinking about getting some help to come in Barbara, but I want to see how it goes with the TB diagnosis/day services.  If he can't go there for a while, I may try to get more help than if he can.

DD is not enthusiastic about adding teenage boys to their automobile insurance, and she did not push them to get their driver's licenses.  Basically, I am paying for oldest DGS' car and car insurance.  So paying for a second one would be difficult at best.  DGS was supposed to look into getting car insurance based on being in the Army Reserves, but he has not followed through on that.  And, he does not seem confident that they will keep him on.  Also, he will need to take driver's education ($300 plus course) before he can get his license.  It is very different than when I had driver's ed in school or just paid for a few lessons for DD.  There are all sorts of provisional licenses, etc., etc. in Maryland.  Anyway, DGS is apparently "blowing" the money he earns, and not being all that serious about college.  So, it is making DD and me less motivated to help him out.  

Hope all is going okay with you today, Claudia.  Really hope R doesn't mess things up trying to do too much.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Butting in here lol..

regarding the PPD/TB test. Often times I have found at work (mental health and we are mandated to have ppd/tb info for inpatient and housing etc..) that if they have traveled to another country..lived in another country etc..they would be called what we call "conversion" on their PPD/TB status.

Usually a chest xray is done and when that is clear we give them an all clear.We only notify the health dept if you have a negative one last year and this year recently converted for no reason. such as no foreign travel.....then we treat them for six months with INH..and we do not quarantine or consider them contagious...

Butting in even further lol...I would recommend help in the home in addition to the day care. I commend you truly as I have the role of care giver to hubby for different circumstances and work and commute all hours and my kids/mother helps me..but without them I would definitely be looking into home services as it is hard on you. I know this is NONE of my business but I wish his children would step up a bit more and offer you more than a phone call of support..I am sure they are great kids (adults really lol) but sometimes it is easier to let others handle the difficult stuff and you haven't  been married nearly as long as I have (going on 34 years..literally a child bride lol)..so I truly give you the biggest props and kudos their is..I truly do...I read when I am sitting waiting things out at work..(court..sometimes housing...sometimes intakes lol..and all hours of day/night weekends if a crisis..so I identify so much with you ladies here..what you are struggling with...especially your DD! Kudos to her too..as it wears thin on the spouse and most often they throw in the towel..so its gotta be a difficult struggle at best.

okay I butted in enough lol..best of luck

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Coupon Queen.  I am happy to learn that DH may not need to go on medicine, etc., and may be able to go back to adult day services.  

Sorry you have caregiving duties as well as what sounds like a demanding job.  I was a child bride (sort of) the first time, but fortunately, he did not need caregiving under my watch..  DH's late wife (Mom to the kids) suffered from a malignant brain tumor, and DH was her caregiver for several years.  The "kids" helped a little, but most of the burden was on him.  And, I know he struggled with the job.  It is pretty ironic that he has sort of gone down a similar route with me.  I know that I'll need additional help because I'm really struggling day-to-day. 

Thanks for your good wishes for DD -- she has her hands full for sure.  We're hoping that the special therapy my SIL is supposed to have next month will really help him.  

Please feel free to join us any time, and thanks again for letting me know about the TB business.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Linda, fingers crossed for DH and you. Such a difficult situation, one that never goes away.

Got back just before dark from the VA. Stuck behind a semi the whole way in the rain on rural roads. Top speed of 43 mph. If I'd been smart I would have suggested staying overnight in the area since we have to be back there for dental at 10 tomorrow. Staples are out. They didn't seem too concerned about the knee but it is very swollen.
Picked up mama cat this morning while Adam stayed there for kittens' shots. They couldn't determine s*x at this age.
Oh I bet Syd has fun at that camp, Barbara.

Good advice, CQ.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...we are I. Klamath falls...the resort is on a golf course and supposedly there is a lot of wild life here.  We are just going to hang out. We are still bringing too much stuff in...need to think about that . It is hard for v to push a heavy cart.

linda...I agree with so much of what coupon queen said. Something else to think about..if you will eventually place him in a memory care unit, my bil made plans well in advance of the time he did it. In mn, it is very difficult to get into one last minute. I hope his dd will help with getting respite care in.  You have to care for yourself first and I can tell from your posts that things are getting much worse and the stress is increasing. To be honest with you, the incontinence would do me in...

Claudia....glad the knee is ok....hope the dental visit goes well. I hate driving in rain at night.  Sounds as if you are keeping the kittens.

linda, I understand why dd does not want the boys on her insurance.  Sounds as if #2 needs to grow up a little. 

Nonews was from syd re the animal camp but she has her friend on a sleepover. I should talk to her tonight.

i will be back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Hope you enjoy hanging out today, Barbara.  Lake Tahoe sounds so nice.  

What a bad drive that was, Claudia.  Hope that the dental stuff went okay today.  Interesting about the kittens.

Yesterday turned out pretty well -- no big issues with DH.  We had a travel club meeting this morning, and after that, I went to the doctor's office.  They had left a voice mail about our spring physicals, and I wanted to check on the TB test.  The voice mail was in error, and the doctor has not read the results.  He is supposed to call us and let us know.  Hope that happens today.  I need to go and pick up my ear plugs/molds in a while.  

The support group ladies have talked about care facility options in the area, and I plan to check out several.  Some are not taking in new patients, but there are some new places just opening that might be better options.  Right now, I'm just focused on getting him back into the day care.  It is just so difficult seeing him deteriorate like this.  I really appreciate your concern and advice, Barbara. 

DD sounded a bit happier today.  My SIL is definitely going for a three day (I think) residential program next month.  The program has helped others recover from trauma, etc., and his psychiatrist and therapist are enthused about it.  Fingers crossed.  Meanwhile, middle DGS is quitting his restaurant job.  It was DD's idea since it sounds like a shady type of deal.  DD is concerned that the owner is trying to skirt IRS rules, and things could get very complicated for DGS.  Next Monday, he is going to the college to talk to a counselor and the veterans representative.  I guess he is just confused about what he wants to do with his life.  Staying in the Army might be a great idea, but he is not sure if he wants to do so or if they want to keep him.  At least he is trying to figure it out.

We had our walk this morning, but no gym since my back isn't completely well.  Not bad, but....

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I think seeing the deterioration is the most difficult thing, Linda. It seems like your DH's has been so fast. As others have said you need to take care of yourself. I hope you hear about the tb test soon. I wish we lived closer.

I hope the 3 day program is a help to your sil. It does sound like DGS is trying to get it figured out.

Still another dental appt before R gets his partial. Griff keeps getting in the back room and R is irritated especially because that gas fireplace is not working and he can't get down and work on it. Of course he refuses to call anyone. He thinks I (who know nothing about it) should get on the floor and try to figure it out.

Eileen is thinking of coming down mid week for her kitten. Tomorrow when I have some energy I plan to post the kittens on a community board. Too tired tonight.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Barbara.

The vet gave us a good deal on mama cat's spaying and the kittens' shots. Adam thinks it partly due to the kittens being so calm around people.

Esteemed Contributor

Just FYI -- the doctor didn't call (I called, and they said he might call after hours, but no such luck).  Meanwhile, DH had another accident, and it was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back.  Anyway, someone from the home caregivers will be coming on Monday to do an assessment.  That way, if I need them, I can call.  If the day care can't be for a while, or even if it can, I may well want some help.  

Good luck with the kittens, Claudia.  Glad the vet gave you a good deal.