Highlighted
Respected Contributor

REFORMED. SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 12

Good morning...I am still on central time so was up pretty early.

i managed to lose my phone at the airport but did not discover it for a while. I have an app that allows me to locate it and lock it. We stopped at att and since I am due for an upgrade, I got a new phone. With the cloud, all of my info came back so I then erased my old one. It is over 3 years old....

we we have an ocean front room...the waves are pretty high and it is foggy now but will be a nice day. Nothing planned..I will do a walk on the beach...later.

i will be back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED. SHOPAHOLICS. Week of October 12

Not fun to lose your phone, but sounds like you found a great solution, Barbara.  "Smart phones" can really be smart -- using the cloud to get back all your information.  I can relate to still being on a different time zone.  Hope you enjoy your time there -- an ocean front room would be lovely.

It is cloudy here this morning, and I'm feeling stressed.  Trying to get over it, but....  DH doesn't seem to be able to remember about going to the bathroom.  Today wasn't as bad as some other days, but it was still a chore getting him cleaned up, etc.  I ended up giving him a shower before our walk, and cutting our walk short.  

I took Claudia's advice about giving him his Tylenol PM earlier than before, but I'm not sure it did much good.  Maybe a little.... His DD called yesterday evening, and she suggested keeping it up for a week or two before I make up my mind.  I will do so.   She said they are considering taking a trip to Germany right after Christmas.   Sounds like it might be fun, but pretty cold there.

Hope all is going well with you today, Claudia. 

I have my strong bones workout this morning, then I need to come back and get DH to have his TB test.  Our bookclub is meeting at lunch time, so I will need to prepare his lunch early.  The good part is that I should be here much of the afternoon.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Sorry you lost the phone, Barbara. It's a good thing you could lock it and were eligible for an upgrade. Adam's phone was over 3 years old and his camera didn't work. Yesterday we got him a Samsung Note as he was due for an upgrade.

This morning he picked up his favorite kitten (looks quite a bit like spot) and it sat on his shoulder as he walked around the upstairs.

I caught R walking around outside without his walker or cane. It appears fb deleted his incision photo- good.

Linda, that's a real difficult situation. Poor you and poor DH.

Respected Contributor

Linda..you need some (((((hugs))))). I think at some point most Alzheimer's patients become incontinent and have trouble sleeping. That is what forced my bil to put his wife in a memory care place. I have no suggestions except using what you are using. You have your hands full.

claudia..yikes to walking with no support...it would not be good to fall at this point I. Recovery. I am an iPhone person....never tried anything else. It was very handy to trace, lick and be able to erase the phone.

it is such a pretty view...the sun is shining and the ocean is beautiful.  Much different than Hawaii.

Respected Contributor

Pt told R to use either walker or cane so he's been using the cane. He wore out the bottom of the walker legs using it on concrete sidewalks. The left knee is grossly swollem. I suggested he call the surgeon but no. Friday we go up to the VA for him to get his denture. It has to be morning and Thursday morning is picking mama cat up from the vet and getting the shots for the kittens before leaving for R's afternoon appt.

Adam is walking TT and Griff is not pleased.

I hope both of you are having a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope nothing is seriously wrong with R's knee, Claudia.  I can't imagine wearing out the walker feet -- could you get some replacements?  Hope the cane works for him in the meantime.  I guess that it is normal for dogs to feel jealous over attention.  Good luck with getting your cat/kittens taken care of.  Doesn't sound that easy to fit everything in one day.

Hope you are having fun, Barbara.  

For unknown reasons, my back has been really hurting today.  When I first got up, it was okay, but not long after the pain was strong.  It seems to be lower than where I normally have back pain.  The pain made normal things, like taking a walk and putting on DH's socks difficult, but I made it through it okay.  And, I did avoid bending over much at the senior lunch program.  But, I don't think going to the gym is in the cards for today.  I may try to lay down for a bit.

Hope both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We made it to our next stop...another ocean front view...I got things reorganized so that we do not have a lot to haul in.  V had to repackage the car and was a bit grouchy.  Lol

i will post a pic on fb of one of my favorite places on the coast.

claudia...did rs walker have wheels???!  I used tennis balls on mine. Glad h was told not to walk with out an assistive device.  The swollen knee does not sound normal. 

Lunda, sorry about your back....wonder if the stress of caring for dh is causing some of it.  They told me to use cold for mine so I bought a gel pack designed for backs.  That and ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours for a few days.  Or a massage....wish I could help you out.

((((((hugs)))) to both of you...sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...went to get coffee. But had to drive farther because my favorite place closed.  There was a big seagull right outside our window when I opened the blinds but by the time I located my iPad to take a picture, it was gone.

we have to move about 8 miles down the road...they are checking for a cancellation to see if we can stay here tonight. It really does not matter.

linda, hope your back is feeling better today.. Hope dh is being nice.

claudia..hope ris behaving himself.  Recovery is not fun.

i will check back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Barbara -- hope you have a good time, regardless of where you stay.  I saw the pictures on FB -- very nice.  My back was killing me this morning, but I tried the ice pack, and I was able to carry on.  I would not be surprised if the stress with DH was part of my problem.  Anyway, after I dropped him off, I went to Wal-Mart and bought an ice pack with Velcro.  I will try that out when it gets cold.

DH and I took a walk -- shorter than normal and pretty slow.  He seemed okay with going to the day services place, but I am a bit concerned about his TB test.  The nurse is supposed to read it today, and this morning he had a big red spot on his arm.  It could be a bug bite or something.  I just don't know.  He does not have any TB symptoms, so maybe it is just a coincidence.   He acted pretty nice last night, and this morning.  It is good that he recognizes that I'm in pain and makes allowances.  I need to pick him up early to take him to the doctor.  And, I may just ask the doctor for recommendations about my back if I have time. 

DD said she was sick all night -- perhaps a flu or food poisoning.  Hopefully, she will feel better.  Middle DGS is giving her fits (suddenly wants to get his driver's license), but she is too sick to pay too much attention.  

Thanks for sending the information about the free meal for veterans and active duty military, Claudia.  DD keeps thinking they may throw DGS out when he has his PT later this month.  I think they lowered the weight limit for one thing.  We will see how that goes.  Oldest DGS finished his first term, so I think he has the week off except for his coaching and chauffeur (other kids) duties.

I do hope that R is cooperating, Claudia, and that your pets are behaving themselves.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Fingers crossed for DH's tb results, Linda. I hope you can ask the doctor about your back. Middle gs sure picked the worst time to pester his mother about driving.

Whit called last night close to 10:30 when I was almost asleep. I didn't pick up becauseshe talks for ages and if she was upset with something I'd be up all night worrying. I did check though to see if there was a message. She forgets we're an hour later.

I took Mama cat to the vet this morning. She did well with the surgery and they said she is enjoying her break from the kittens.

R over did it of course and admitted to bending over. The hip is inflamed and it and knee are swollen. The Buffalo VA should never have told he was doing very well. That just encouraged him to try to do more. Earlier he was trying to figure if he could get down on the floor and work on the gas fireplace. I told him absolutely not.

Now he's agitating over when the chair will arrive and what if no one is home when they call to schedule delivery. Arghh.

Barbara. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself no matter where you stay. I haven't been on FB yet today. Men can get so irritated when they have to rearrange the car.

It is in the 50's here and rainy. It will be colder by the weekend.