Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of November 22

Happy Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for..including your friendship.  The turkey taped in cold water by dinner time last night. It is now in the oven cooking.  I have to think of how I did things last year because i only have one oven here.

sydnie and mollie enjoyed the ghost town yesterday...Sydnie is riding our big bike so m has to sit outside in case she fals. Tonight we go to the zoo light display.

linda..sorry your colds came back. I hope you have a decent day. Happy bd to dhs dgd.

i think making his good easy unless you are there to help is a good idea. That continual care place sounds lovely. But I know they are very pricey. 

Claudia..I cannot imagine r hunting with his issues. Yikes. I hope things work out for Adam..a change might be just what he needs.

enjoy your day. My dear friend from Canada arrives on Sunday. It will be good to see her

gobble gobble🦃🦃

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope both of you had a nice Thanksgiving.  Ours was nice -- a lady at the church luncheon (winter visitor who I had never met) asked us to join them at their table, and then insisted on talking to DH when I went to get our food.  There was a ton of food, and I was surprised that they provided "china" plates with a Thanksgiving theme.  Very nicely done and tons or food.  I ended up taking home part of one of my pies since there were so many extra desserts.  

We talked to DH's DD and son yesterday, and I talked to DD.  All that was nice.  And, I decided to start my Christmas decorating, and I finished quite a bit.  Plenty left to do, but.....

I hope to go to the gym later this morning and the hospice nurse comes this afternoon.  I don't think I'll go to any stores except maybe the grocery.  That can probably wait until tomorrow, however. They are also having a "holiday boutique" at the senior center, and I may go there tomorrow.  

Hope R made it off to hunting camp okay, Claudia.  And, I hope he doesn't hurt himself while he is there.  Good luck in getting things done while he is away.  One of my friends said her DH can't stand the vacuum or dishwasher noise, so she does this while he is away.  I have avoided making noise while DH is sleeping, but that is a bit much.  

Sounds like you were having a great celebration, Barbara.  I imagine the lights were beautiful.  A neighborhood nearby really does a lot of decorating, and I enjoy driving there once the lights are up.  We used to have several neighborhoods like that when I lived in Maryland (both in DC and in Maryland.)  And, of course, we had all the trees, etc. on the Mall.  Good memories.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We just got back from shopping..went to Ross for M and she also wanted to go to jjill and bath and body. There really were no crowds except the line was long at b and it took her a while. We have the dinner theater tonight .

thanksgiving dinner did not turn out because the turkey did not cook....the white meat was fine but I tossed  the dark meat.  Everything was good...I have cooked many turkeys in my life..lol

linda, your dinner sounded lovely.  I have my very few decorations up, but that is ok since we spend the holidays in Minnesota. It was nice that you got to talk to everyone. How did dgs do with unruly shoppers.??

amie has had a great time in Scotland. They will be home tomorrow.

claudia..did R get off to hunting camp?? 

Linda, hope the evaluation goes well.

have a good day

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm glad Amie enjoyed her time in Edinburgh. At least you were able to salvage the white meat on the turkey. My story about Eileen and the turkey may have jinxed you.

We went to Bob Evans mid afternoon. The timing was right as the noon crowd was finished and the dinner crowd hadn't arrived.

Linda, I'm glad the church luncheon was nice and you met someone new. It was very helpful of her to talk to your DH while you filled the plates. I hope the appointment with the hospice nurse went well.

R is off to camp. TT's shot are updated. He's close to 200 pounds. Usually he's calm at the vet's office. Not today though. He just couldn't stay still in the waiting area.

Lots of decorations are up around town. I haven't done any yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Glad Amie enjoyed Scotland, Barbara.  Sorry about that turkey not cooking completely, at least you had the white meat.  Apparently, DGS didn't have much fun with his overnight time at Macy's -- some nasty customers, I guess.  He had come home to sleep when I called, and needed to go back shortly.

Wow -- what a big dog TT is Claudia.  He weighs more than DH, which is quite a lot in my book.  Hope R does okay at hunting camp.  Glad Bob Evan's wasn't crowded.  I can almost taste my favorite salad from there.  LOL  

The hospice nurse visit was interesting, but a bit disquieting.  DH may be eligible if the doctor changes his diagnosis from dementia to Alzheimer's.  I think the neurologist has used the code for "A" on insurance forms, but he has never said that is what he has.  Also, DH cannot go to physical therapy if he is in hospice.  So, we won't be doing much until we see how the PT goes.  The nurse had lots of questions, and DH couldn't answer most of them.  When I was answering, I realized how much he has lost -- incredibly sad.  She said that I should be able to get some utensils from a medical supply company, and I'm looking on-line.  I also may consider buying him a special plate that helps the food from slipping off.  

I finished most of the Christmas decorating yesterday -- I think I have one more tiny tree in the storage room.  But, I may have given it away.  I'll need to check and see if it is still there.  Our new little tree is full (very full) of ornaments, but I like the excess.  I have changed most of the batteries in my battery operated candles, lights, etc.  And, I changed from the Fall tablecloths, etc. to the Christmas ones. I have fewer decorations, but plenty.

DH received a letter from SS yesterday, and his Medicare premiums for next year will be more than twice as high due to our increased income last year (that one pipeline "stock" that caused all my tax issues).  I am upset since this probably means my Medicare payments will be much higher.  I don't get SS, so I just pay monthly.  I think they are raising the rates even higher for people in my category.  Oh joy.

I'll be doing my usual laundry and financial review today.  And, maybe going to the holiday craft show at the senior center.  It is too cool for us -- heat has been on this morning.  But, it should make it up into the low 60's later.  Guess I can't complain since others are dealing with flooding, snow, etc.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

Respected Contributor

It is very cool here also..I wore my wool cape and it was perfect. Ran to the grocery store so I could make some sandwiches for syd and m since they will be flying over dinner time.

sydnie is out biking and m is packing. She needs an extra suitcase to get her new clothes home..thank goodness I have an extra one here.

we had a good visit. M is on such a good place, she is very enjoyable.

linda, for some reason docs do not give the Alzheimer's label readily. It took my sil a few years to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's rather than dementia. It must be terribly difficult to watch dh deteriorate. ((((((Hugs))))). If you go, enjoy the craft fair.

Yikes on the Medicare increase...we pay a lot more than most people and our supplemental is very pricey...but in turn. We pay minimal for medical bills. My monthly infusion that cost several thousand dollars is a $15 co pay. I did not realize that you do not get so.

claudia txt is a huge dog....but I know newfies get that big. Will griff be bigger??? Hope you are enjoying your quiet time.

have a good day

Respected Contributor

I don't think Griff will be as large as TT. I'm guessing (hoping for) 120-140. My sister messaged that she wants to try to keep the kitten and is talking to her landlord tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

It is incredibly sad when you suddenly realize how much dementia patients have lost. I hope DH can get whatever care benefits him the most, Linda. A shame about the medicare premiums increasing so much. Hopefully it's just the one year.

I am fortunate that when I retired that I not only had over 25 years in, thus qualifying for state paid health insurance but that the contract at that time specified our premium payment was 1% of our final salary. Now it's 3% or more. No vision or dental though. Also R is covered which is a good thing even though most of his care is VA covered.

No decorating here. I did work on the sunporch and went through a trunk out there. I have numerous items to donate without reaching the far end of the porch. The closet rod and outdoor wear make that difficult. Tonight I hope to go through clothes upstairs then tomorrow on to R's accumulation on any flat surface. Found my dad's Army discharge papers. He never went overseas but was at MIT for a while then with the RAF in Canada before ending up in Ft. Myers, FL.

It is chilly here too but no snow.

Barbara, it is wonderful M is in a good place. Extra suitcases come in handy.