Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of November 15

Good morning.. My internet is slow this morning. I leave for the airport in an hour is so. .fly out at 11. It is going to get cold here so good time to leave.

claudia..I would vote for the cruise..Alaska is beautiful

i told amie not to live in fear...they are going. 

I will ill post more later.  Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of November 15

Safe travels to warmer weather, Barbara. I'm glad to hear Amie is going. I hope they have a wonderful time there.

Frost on the ground and roofs this morning. I hope it warms up later. Today will be the numerous small chores that seem to wait for the weekend even though I'm retired. I wanted sleep a bit more but a pair of kittens decided pouncing on my legs was great fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope your flight was fine, Barbara.  Glad you are getting out of the cold.  It is supposed to turn pretty cold here (below freezing on Monday night), but right now it isn't too bad.  We have had some rain off and on.  Glad Amie is still going ahead with her trip -- I think they will have a wonderful time.  DH's DD and family are planning to go to Paris and Germany after Christmas, so I hope these attacks are over.

Hi Claudia -- it is funny about those errands, despite being retired.  I tend to do the same thing -- don't really know why that happens.  Sorry the kittens woke you up before you wanted to do so.

I am afraid that DH's issues are the "new normal", which makes me very sad indeed.  He is just having so much trouble controlling his limbs.  And, I think longer walks are a thing of the past.  

DD said today was a bit more difficult for my SIL than yesterday, but she sounds optimistic.  

I've been to church, and I plan to go to the gym in a little while.  Nothing exciting planned for the day.

Hope both of you have a nice afternoon/evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I made it safely...nice flight.  It was raining pretty hard when I got here and will be relatively cooler the next few days.

linda, have you thought about getting a lift chair for dh. He ight not be able to operate it but it would be much easier for r you to get him in and out. 

Claudia..didn't r just get something like that??? My mom had one and loved it.

sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Yes, R just got his about 2 weeks ago. I ended up ordering a Catnapper and so far we're happy with it. It also has heat and massage. I just wish I had ordered it before the surgery. Not many choices locally so I ordered from Amazon. Griff put a paw on the remote and was quite startled at turning the massage on.

I hope all goes well with your sil, Linda and the 3 days of therapy helped.

It's chilly out now but earlier temps were in the upper 50's. Glad the flight was good, Barbara.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  It is very windy here, and it was raining pretty hard when I got up.  Now, it is just windy.  The wind is supposed to bring in much cooler air, even freezing temperatures tonight.  I got out my "freeze cloths" yesterday so I'll be ready.

Good news about your flight, Barbara. 

Thanks for your suggestion about the lift chair, but I don't think that would help DH much at this point.  The one place he can usually get up and down from without problem is the sofa where he sits most of the time.  The car, the toilet, etc. are another matter.

DD texted me that my SIL's neurologist is pretty pleased, but he may need some more therapy (I think this is the light therapy) in three months.  We will talk later since they are at the clinic this morning.

Yesterday's gym visit was bad -- I need to help DH on to the rowing machine, and he just sits there (moving very slowly) while I do all my exercises.  (Of course, if someone else wants to use the machine, I take him off after 25 minutes which is the limit).  Anyway, I went to help him off the machine, and he just collapsed on the floor.  Two guys raced over and helped me get him up.  They also helped get him out front so I could pick him up.  I'm afraid that the gym is out for him now in addition to walking.  I'll talk to the doctor about this on Thursday, but I just can't have him collapsing all the time.  I'm too small to help him up.  Sad times.

Other than that major problem, things went pretty well yesterday.  I have strong bones this morning, and I plan to go to a couple of stores with DH.   If possible, I'll try to go to the motor vehicles place this afternoon -- it was too crazy on Friday afternoon.

Hope both of you are doing okay today.  

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

OH Linda...it sounds as if dh's motor skills are now being affected. And you a so tiny, I cannot imagine what the lifting is doing to your body. Do you have a raised seat on the toilet and bars???? We have a higher toilet at home and even wi that v and I both used the extra elevation when we had joint surgery.  Can you get an in home assessment of what AIDS might help????

this is so sad for you. I hope his children appreciate what you do for him. Are you exploring more care options?????

v was very happy to have me back. It will be cool here tomorrow...I am going to finish switching out my clothes here.

i have to go to the grocery store. Arghhh. Mollie and syd will arrive next Tuesday.

let me know how your day goes.  I am glad there were people at the gym to help.

Respected Contributor

Oh Linda, how awful. Thank heavens there were people there to help.You certainly can't have him collapsing all the time. I think you have the higher toilet but bars to grip might be a help if he can grip them. Much as I hate to say it, it appears your Dh's coordination/motor ability is going downhill. I had so hoped he would reach a plateau and stay at that level for a while. I wonder if some type of swivel cushion could help him in and out of the car.

It seems good news for your sil's treatment. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with motor vehicles. Hopefully Monday is a quiet day there.

Not much sleep last night. When I went upstairs R was settled in the back room since Adam is gone this week.  I woke up later to Griff barking. R had gotten up at some point and let the dogs out. Griff heard a noise and started barking. By the time I made it downstairs he managed to get him in. It took me several hours toget back to sleep- not helped by kittens who thought it was time to get up.This morning I heard the garbage truck then dozed off but woke to Griff barking again. No nap as I just can't sleep once it's light out even using a sleep mask.

No rain here but it is in the upper 30's. The sun is out so it may warm up.

Barbara, I bet Sydnie can't wait till next Tuesday.

Respected Contributor

Claudia..I empathize with your sleep. I am a very light sleeper and wake up several times at night usually due to something hurting.  It is a real treat when I sleep for 5 hours straight.

i rarely nap during the day.

it is chilly here. Only 53. There was no one at the grocery store so I was happy.

Esteemed Contributor

I never know what to expect.  DH came with me to Wal-Mart, and I wasn't sure he could even walk there.  A couple of times he looked like his foot/feet weren't working properly.  I offered to let him stay in the car, but he wanted to try.  So, we walked up to the store, and I had him sit at the Subway in the store while I returned his sweat pants (too long).  Came back, and he was quietly sitting there.  I ordered our lunch, and he ate okay (I need to help him with eating, but he did well).  I offered to go back to the car, but he wanted to come with me.  And, he did just fine.  When we went back to the car he not only opened up the door and got in, but closed it.  This is much better than normal.

I plan to go for a walk shortly, and I'll not have him come with me.  Not only am I worried about his walking, but it is very chilly and windy here (for us anyway.)  I don't think it is even 50 degrees here.  

I'm not sure the bars would work with our bathroom, but I may look into one of those added seats.  

There were three new ladies at strong bones this morning, wow!  I went to motor vehicles right after that, and there was no line at all.  I need to have my vision checked again (it has been a bit more than 90 days), so I have an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow afternoon after the senior lunch program.   I could have tried to take the vision test there, but if I failed, they would have instantly suspended my license.  Yikes!

DD said that in the end, things turned out well except that my SIL has been on an anti-anxiety drug for 15 years and is suffering withdrawal since he had to give it up before the therapy.  The neurologist said he should never take it again.  Hopefully, he will be okay.

Meanwhile, football DGS was admitted into an engineering program at a college in West Virginia about two hours away from their house.  No word on scholarships, but they have football, and their tuition and fees are lower than most schools.  Fingers crossed on this one.

Oldest DGS will be working at Macy's on Thanksgiving night -- 6:00 pm. to 6:00 a.m. and then back in a few hours.  The good part for him is that he is paid time and a half for the twelve hours.  He won't be on the floor, but will be the "bouncer" (help get rid of troublesome customers) and help with the heavy boxes in all departments, etc.  I didn't realize that they need "bouncers" in department stores, but he has already had to help out some of the women who have been harassed by male customers. 

Sorry about your lack of sleep, Claudia and Barbara.  I'm another one who is a very light sleeper.  Thank goodness DH's medicine is helping.  

Have a nice evening!