Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of NOVEMBEr 29

It is warmer today but I got pretty cold during the night. Nothing big today....I ran to the bank and want to go to kohls to get some slippers because our floors are cold. 

M got her check for her totaled car and seemed happy. I want to hear about Amies trip but she has not had time for that yet.

i had a great coaching session with my voice teacher. She told me to sound like a diva which I can do and will ...lol.

ckauda, I could not imagine filing my tooth down...owie, owie. It was good that he did not hurt himself when he fell. 

Linda, hope your day is going well.

more later

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Another cold night and morning here.  They said that it should be a bit warmer tomorrow and over the weekend.  

Sorry R fell and had those other issues, Claudia.  Also sorry your sister can't keep the kitten.  Hopefully, she will be able to do so when she moves.  DH's DD said that a family they know (through ballet) will take both kittens.  They were spayed and neutered yesterday, but seem to be doing well.

Hi Barbara -- I don't remember having to brush DD or my grandchildren's teeth much past toddler age.  And, doing so for DH is quite difficult.  He said that I hurt him this morning, but I just can't figure out how to avoid it.  Maybe I should get those cotton rolls that keep your mouth open like the hygienist used.  He is off at day services, which is good.  Last night he was up so many times, so I didn't get much rest at all.  

I saw one of the ladies who I met at caregivers dropping off her husband, and her husband goes three days a week.  It sounds like he is able to do more than DH (like shower and brush his teeth), but still not enough.  Then, I ran into her at the card store where both of us were buying Christmas cards.  Pretty funny.

Yes, DGD should be graduating this spring, Barbara.  DD had me order her the TSV laptop computer the other day, and it is a good thing since their shared desktop is having issues.  Even if she finishes earlier than May or June, I don't think she will start college until next Fall.  DD is waiting to hear about DGS's tire(s) -- she will text me.

I'm planning to go to the gym soon, and I have the appointment with the lawyer this afternoon.  What a mess that is -- hope he is nice and helpful.

Have a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Glad you had such a good voice lesson, Barbara.  Slippers are needed for sure.  

Respected Contributor

Just home from R's emergency dental visit at the VA. They ground it down but it will need to be extracten. That will be late January unless there's a cancellation. Back to the VA again tomorrow for behavioral health then picking up the kitten. Monday, another VA appointment.

On the way home we had to stop and replace R's hunting coat. The zipper broke and he's going back to camp Friday.

It's nice DH's daughter and family already have homes for the 2 they're fostering, Linda. I think brushing someone's teeth would be very difficult. Those cotton rolls may be a good idea.

I'm sure Amie is very busy, Barbara. It will be nice to hear the highlights of her trip. Glad the voice lesson went so well. Slippers are a good idea. I hate cold floors and drafts around my ankles.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning!  Your days are starting to sound like mine, Claudia.  Or, maybe it is the other way around.  Hope that the VA visit today goes okay, and R's extraction can wait until January with no problems.  You certainly have a lot of VA trips.  

It is supposed to be warmer than normal here today, which pleases me.  I imagine the same is true for your area, Barbara. Hope you are not having much pain, and V is feeling better.

The lawyer was a very nice man, but the "partnership/trust" the crooked "lawyer" set up is very complicated.  We talked for 45 minutes or so, and he ended up referring me to a tax lawyer.  Now, I am waiting to set up an appointment with one of them.  Hopefully, I can use the tax lawyer who comes to our area, but if not I'll need to go up to Tucson.  I let DH's kids know, and both offered encouraging words.  They may need to get involved if we do decide to dissolve the partnership.  And, even if not, they may need/want to get involved in trying to get money out of his investments to pay for his care.  This attorney told me that nursing-type care usually runs about $5000 - $6000 a month.  Not cheap, but.....

His office was near the day center, but I was early to pick up DH and not early enough to go home in between so I went to the coffee shop there.  Happened to run into one of our Turkish friends (male), and we talked for a bit.  His wife is bipolar, and he is having a heck of a time.  Apparently, she is boiling all the time, and insisted on opening the windows and putting on the AC during the night.  He was freezing.  Also, she is sleeping in the day and up at night, etc.  He had open heart surgery, and he is still recovering (I don't know the details).  He said is is getting stronger and walking at least an hour a day, which is good.  But, he is worried about who could take care of him if he became ill.  They have no children, and the rest of his family is in Turkey.  He doesn't want to go back to the mess in Turkey.  Quite a dilemma.  He said DH is lucky to have me, and to be honest, I agree.  Not that I want to pat myself on the back or anything, but caregiving is a huge job, and not much fun.  

Our other Turkish friend (lady who helped out), has had part of her dental work done, and more is scheduled next week.  She is pretty cheerful all things considered.

Speaking of caregiving, I have a meeting today -- finally back after two months of being unable to attend, and then run back and take DH to the podiatrist.  

DGS' care needed two tires, so I transferred that money.  I knew this would be an expensive month.  LOL

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Just off the phone -- I was able to get an appointment with a tax attorney in our town next Wednesday -- very happy.

Respected Contributor

I ended up rescheduling today's appointment. R kept hustling to the bathroom. It worked out in the end as Eieen messaged her meeting would run into lunch. Now we plan to meet partway Saturday.

Hopefully the tax lawyer will know state medicaid regulations too, Linda. He may be able able to tell you what resources are exempt if nursing home care is needed at some point. Here in PA they look back 5 years at resource transfers. Mother's sale of her house was just under 5 years and I had to gather info to show her expenses over 5 years at least totaled the amount of the house value.

A friend of R's suggested unscrewing the fridge panel after removing all the shelves and seeing if it was iced up. It was so we de-iced it are now waiting to see if that solves the problem. Fingers crossed.

Caretaking is a huge challenge and yes DH is very fortunate. Not a good idea for your friend to return to Turkey. Maybe assisted living would be a possibility. Mother was full pay but others who met certain income/resource limits qualified for the state to pay part of the expense.

Respected Contributor

I am back from bridge and lunch with a friend. I am meeting with 2 women to put together a centerpiece for our coffee bar.

yes,Melinda,Mir is wearer here today..actually nice out. That is too bad about that bad lawyer...hopefully you can get things untangled and get the funds accessible that you need to care for dh. Yes,me is lucky to have you.  That is a shame about your friend with the bipolar wife. It is horrible when not treated. 

Claudia...hope the fridge was fixed. Your life sounds a little chaotic right now. As I tell linda, remember to take care of yourself.

i need to run. Enjoy the rest of the day and sleep well.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope R is better today Claudia, and things are a bit more settled there.  Also hope that was a good fix for the refrigerator.  I think that helped one of my DD's refrigerators years ago.

Hope you found a nice centerpiece, Barbara.  It should be another nice day here -- warmer than average.  The house is still chilly, but I have the space heaters going.

The caregivers meeting yesterday was very good.  So nice to be able to share issues and hear how others are dealing with things.  One of the ladies husband has dementia/Alzheimer's, but nothing else.  And, he was rejected for hospice care.  I hope that isn't the case for DH, but who knows.  I think it helped that our doctor faxed his information to hospice.   Apparently, doctors can be reluctant to refer people to hospice.  That is just cruel in my opinion.

Two ladies had negative experiences with PT for their husbands -- did no good at all.  I don't expect miracles, but I do hope that it helps him a little.  He is having more and more trouble with standing up and sitting.  And, this morning he was very out of it in every way.  He was falling asleep at breakfast!.  

I am getting better at brushing his teeth, which is a positive.  

The podiatrist visit went well, and I really like the doctor.  I showed him how DH's shoes (not that old) are wearing out, and he said that he should probably get new shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair through his office, and they should arrive in a couple of weeks.  If they don't fit, they can be returned. DH has long and very wide feet, so going to a regular store isn't a good option.  Also, I wanted to get shoes with Velcro closures, and they had those available.  Not cheap at all, but hopefully they will last a bit longer.  I figure that now that he isn't walking much at all, they probably will last longer in any case.  I found a pair of slipper socks on Amazon that were made for big feet, and they seem to be working out quite well.  I was surprised since they came from England.  

DGD received her new computer yesterday afternoon.  I haven't talked to DD yet, but she sent a picture, and it looks very nice (purple).

I am planning to take things pretty easy today -- no appointments for a change.  I do plan to go to the gym, to pick up DH's prescription, and some groceries as well as take a walk.  If I'm a good girl, I'll do some cleaning as well.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning...I already went grocery shopping. I like frys a lot and wanted some fish for dinner. The store was not crowded...I do wish people would be more courteous with those electric carts.

i have nothing else planned for today .v thinks his knee pain is he s sciatic nerve since it has migrated to his lower shin. I suggested some back stretches but doubt if he will do them.

linda, it sounds like you had a good meeting. I hope pt helps. It is sad that he is having such a hard time....it is important that you have those people to talk with.  Yes it is terrible if Drs hesitate to do referrals to hospice. I bet dgd loves her purple computer. What a good grandmother you are.

claudia hope your day is going well.

it will be a nice day here today.

Respected Contributor

Linda, forgot to mention that it is good you found a good pair of shoes. V has hard feet to fit...very wide with a high arch. Slipper socks are a good way to keep his feet warm

Respected Contributor

Linda, I think it's very helpful having a caregivers group. Glad you found some slippers that should fit DH.

R started not wearing his diabetic shoes as much and instead wearing his moccasins. I wonder if some of his current hip pain is related to that and not the fall.

The fridge is working now so I need to go out for groceries. Last night I was doing dishes and turned the faucet towards the left sink only to have it come off in my hand. I was horrorstruck. Quickly turned the faucet off. R replaced it this morning and sprayed all kinds of sealing stuff on the pipes under the sink While he was doing this Griff and I were on an emergency vet trip. This morning I found he had been sick throughout the downstairs. The only thing I could think of was that he stole a quarter pound of butter yesterday. R left it on the bar height table when working on the fridge. He was and still is lethargic- Griff not R. Since his temp is normal and the vomiting had stopped they gave him a shot and some pills to start tomorrow. Meanwhile he's to be observed and no treats.

Barbara, I suggested to R that trying his exercises might help his hip but no luck. He is going back out to hunting camp.

Linda, I bet your DGD is enloying the laptop.